Size creep

L0ne.R

This would definitely be an issue, especially if the only real hint is it’s size.

I personally haven’t come across this as of late. At least not in any significant number. But that setting is up to the CO and if they want to set a micro as “Large,” it wouldn’t particularly bother me.

1 hour ago, Rapaladude said:

But that setting is up to the CO and if they want to set a micro as “Large,” it wouldn’t particularly bother me.

You might be right. Since reviewers don't change size settings even if the cache submitter chooses 'small' but in the description says it's a film canister. 

It's just that it makes it easier to plan ahead when we all abide by the same rules and guidelines and have a clear understanding of size. It's too bad the submission form doesn't include a link to the cache sizes page in the Help Center .  

• Upvote 3
On 5/17/2018 at 8:45 PM, L0ne.R said:

You might be right. Since reviewers don't change size settings even if the cache submitter chooses 'small' but in the description says it's a film canister. 

It's just that it makes it easier to plan ahead when we all abide by the same rules and guidelines and have a clear understanding of size. It's too bad the submission form doesn't include a link to the cache sizes page in the Help Center .  

I want to see the 20 liter shoebox!

It says a regular is about the size of a shoebox, and that a Large is over 20 liters, or bigger than a shoebox.

CONFUSING to say the least.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, K13 said:

I want to see the 20 liter shoebox!

It says a regular is about the size of a shoebox, and that a Large is over 20 liters, or bigger than a shoebox.

CONFUSING to say the least.

If you're going to read it that way, then I want to see a 1-liter apple.

I think it's pretty clear that an apple or a shoebox are typical examples within the specified range of volumes. But I agree that it could be phrased better.

14 hours ago, niraD said:

If you're going to read it that way, then I want to see a 1-liter apple.

I think it's pretty clear that an apple or a shoebox are typical examples within the specified range of volumes. But I agree that it could be phrased better.

My point was that the example for a large is "larger than a shoebox" while the size specs say a large is 20 liters and larger.  I would guess the average shoebox to be about 3 liters.

I have used the following explanation a few times.

A Large is like what you use to carry the food for a family picnic.

A Regular is like the lunchbox you use for your own lunch.

A Small is like what you pack a sandwich.

A Micro is what would hold the Rolaids you need after the meal.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
2 hours ago, K13 said:

I have used the following explanation a few times.

A Large is like what you use to carry the food for a family picnic.

A Regular is like the lunchbox you use for your own lunch.

A Small is like what you pack a sandwich.

A Micro is what would hold the Rolaids you need after the meal.

As a rough overview for beginners, I like that.

But to specify what size a given container should be, or what size range a given rating can encompass, I still prefer the volume ranges measured in milliliters or liters. Everything else is just helping people visualize what the specified volumes could look like in the field.

• Upvote 1

My daughter loves looking for large caches so often we will set the filter to large and see what is in the area we are caching for the day. As others have said they are rare but so are suitable places for them away from muggles. We own one large cache (40l plus that gets found more often than the logs online show. 

However the smaller caches get replaced at times with whats available after being muggled. Close enough is what you get sometimes. I recieved a nasty message from a cacher telling me I had my cache size wrong and they then left a log stating something similar. 

Just not cricket in my books its a game. 

We also had nasty messages because we didn't supply a hints to find one of our difgicult caches. Oh well, I have met far more good honest people than not though so we continue to enjoy it. Have fun and don't take it serious folks. Its a game and you're only playing against yourselves:)

6 minutes ago, Zane and Bianca said:

However the smaller caches get replaced at times with whats available after being muggled. Close enough is what you get sometimes. I recieved a nasty message from a cacher telling me I had my cache size wrong and they then left a log stating something similar. 

Nastiness aside, you DO know you can change the size of the cache in your listing if you've changed the size of the cache container, right? That would cut down on the logs about the size being wrong.

I do note wrong sizes in my logs when they're definitely wrong, to alert the CO and/or the next seekers. If you're looking for a Regular and it has been replaced with a Micro, people need to know that. If the CO is inactive, it goes in the log, but I would prefer that the CO fix it in the listing if they are active.

• Upvote 1
On 03/06/2018 at 8:27 AM, Zane and Bianca said:

I recieved a nasty message from a cacher telling me I had my cache size wrong and they then left a log stating something similar. 

Cache size is a big bugaboo for me.

I filter out micros because I generally don't enjoy the experience. Log-only caches fall flat for me. I've been filtering them out since at least 2005.

For some people, the size of the cache container matters. Some people like to spend their valuable time (vacation days, the hour we have at lunch or before heading home to make dinner), and gas money (I just spent $75 filling up my car) on caches they would more likely enjoy finding. 

Basically, anything with a capacity of less than 100ml (3 ounces, 1/3 of a cup) is a micro. 'Small' should at least hold a small object attached to a dog tag.  

Here's an example of a 100ml container:

49134838-83c3-4c68-9f22-18586f54aa21_l.j

More information in the Help Center:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=97&pgid=815

Edited by L0ne.R
41 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

Nastiness aside, you DO know you can change the size of the cache in your listing if you've changed the size of the cache container, right? That would cut down on the logs about the size being wrong.

I do note wrong sizes in my logs when they're definitely wrong, to alert the CO and/or the next seekers. If you're looking for a Regular and it has been replaced with a Micro, people need to know that. If the CO is inactive, it goes in the log, but I would prefer that the CO fix it in the listing if they are active.

I do know that. Sometimes size can be subjective though when a particular container could be one or the other. As we dont use standard containers things can be ambiguos. The cache owner has it listed as a certian size thats there choice. A polite message may be in order if its listed as a nano but is large though ??

3 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

Cache size is a big bugaboo for me.

I filter out micros because I generally don't enjoy the experience. Log-only caches fall flat for me. I've been filtering them out since at least 2005.

For some people, the size of the cache container matters. Some people like to spend their valuable time (vacation days, the hour we have at lunch or before heading home to make dinner), and gas money (I just spent $75 filling up my car) on caches they would more likely enjoy finding. 

Basically, anything with a capacity of less than 100ml (3 ounces, 1/3 of a cup) is a micro. It should at least hold a small object attached to a dog tag.  

Here's an example of a 100ml container:

49134838-83c3-4c68-9f22-18586f54aa21_l.j

More information in the Help Center:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=97&pgid=815

I agree. If you can't fit anything in it bar a log then it should be a micro or nano. 

14 minutes ago, Zane and Bianca said:

I agree. If you can't fit anything in it bar a log then it should be a micro or nano. 

And consider the guidelines regarding size. It helps when everyone is on the same playing field and has a good idea of what to expect, i.e whether the container is big enough for their trackable or signature item. 

Technically a film canister could hold a few beads, or a tiny toy or a penny/dime/nickel but it is still a micro. Under 100ml in capacity. 

From the Help Center:

Micro (XS)

Micro containers are less than 100 milliliters. They’re about the size of a film canister, or smaller. They can hold a tiny logbook or log sheet. If a micro cache is less than 10 milliliters, it’s often called a nano cache.

Small (S)

Small containers are 100 milliliters to 1 liter. They’re about the size of an apple. They can hold a small logbook and trade items.

4 hours ago, Zane and Bianca said:

Just not cricket in my books its a game. 

We also had nasty messages because we didn't supply a hints to find one of our difgicult caches. Oh well, I have met far more good honest people than not though so we continue to enjoy it. Have fun and don't take it serious folks. Its a game and you're only playing against yourselves:)

For me and quite a few others, this is still a hobby.  We don't "play against" anyone.  :)

"Close enough" may be a horseshoes point, but for folks who filter caches by size, or have a reason to look for larger (sizeable trackables is one...),  it's annoying when a CO can't be bothered to maintain their cache.  Takes seconds...

When we see such caches, I make it clear in the log, "Thought I was going to find a small for trackables, found a micro instead" , and it's like that each time.

It helps others realize they're looking at an incorrect cache page, in case they have a reason similar to find larger. 

CO gives me a hard time afterwards, since I don't need the find  (it's a hobby...),  it's simple  to ignore any others.  

- But if anyone ever asks,  I'm an honest person and will let them know what I think.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Zane and Bianca said:

I recieved a nasty message from a cacher telling me I had my cache size wrong and they then left a log stating something similar. 

A message or log that your (for example) size of a film canister cache listed as small should be listed as micro is not necessarily nasty.  You could take it as merely informative (unless the language used was indeed nasty).   I have left many such logs, but never used nasty language in them.  Just simply stating facts.  If the CO chooses to be offended by the facts, well then the nastiness is in the mind of the reader.

Edited by NanCycle
spelling
  • Upvote 4
39 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

A message or log that your (for example) size of a film canister cache listed as small should be listed as micro is not necessary nasty.  You could take it as merely informative (unless the language used was indeed nasty).   I have left many such logs, but never used nasty language in them.  Just simply stating facts.  If the CO chooses to be offended by the facts, well then the nastiness is in the mind of the reader.

I have seen that COs will be nasty when informing that their tiny cache is really a micro. Nothing can change their mind :)

• Upvote 1