Last one still standing

Hi there,

As an officer in the Vineyards category, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in becoming an officer in this category. I don't approve my own waymarks and I've got one that's waiting for almost a month. The leader and other officers appear to be in la-la land (not responding to e-mails). If you are a member or become a member, I could sponsor you as an officer.

Cheers,

RitC

Hi there,

As an officer in the Vineyards category, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in becoming an officer in this category. I don't approve my own waymarks and I've got one that's waiting for almost a month. The leader and other officers appear to be in la-la land (not responding to e-mails). If you are a member or become a member, I could sponsor you as an officer.

Cheers,

RitC

We joined the group.

At least you are "standing", however in some categories all the officers are MIA.

I've attempted to promote BK-hunters. If this works then we'll try to add more.

If you are the only one still standing, then who else will vote?

That's the "Catch 22" (A difficult situation for which there is no easy or possible solution)

One 'yea' vote is enough.

Hi lumbricus, are you saying that the officer who calls a vote to promote a regular member to officer and also votes yea that is enough to promote someone to officer? :blink:

I've attempted to promote BK-hunters. If this works then we'll try to add more.

If you are the only one still standing, then who else will vote?

That's the "Catch 22" (A difficult situation for which there is no easy or possible solution)

One 'yea' vote is enough.

Hi lumbricus, are you saying that the officer who calls a vote to promote a regular member to officer and also votes yea that is enough to promote someone to officer? :blink:

Exactly.

Here's a bizarre turn to the story. Here's a message I just received from the category leader.

jimmonty says,

THERE IS NO BACKLOG OF UNREVIEWED CACHES>. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

This guy's got real class!

I checked the 'Past activity'. The leader isn't inactive. He often reviews Waymarks on the same day they are submitted. In June and July he approved all incoming Waymarks, you reviewed not even one. So maybe he read your "la-la-Land" sentence and now asks what your problem is. A more friendly way would have been better on both ways.

Here's a bizarre turn to the story. Here's a message I just received from the category leader.

jimmonty says,

I checked the 'Past activity'. The leader isn't inactive. He often reviews Waymarks on the same day they are submitted. In June and July he approved all incoming Waymarks, you reviewed not even one. So maybe he read your "la-la-Land" sentence and now asks what your problem is. A more friendly way would have been better on both ways.

What is it that the rest of us are missing? Or do we need to read between the lines.

As for your comment "In June and July he (jimmonty) approved all incoming Waymarks, you (RakeInTheCache) reviewed not even one."

In all fairness one must look at all the information and compare the facts in context.

You could say that RakeInTheCache reviewed all waymarks from 5/27/2014 11:55:00 AM to 8/23/2014 2:02:00 AM and jimmonty reviewed zero

or you could say that RakeInTheCache reviewed all waymarks from 5/1/2015 1:51:00 AM to 11/13/2015 8:57:00 AM and jimmonty reviewed zero

or you could say that RakeInTheCache reviewed all waymarks from 1/1/2016 12:20:00 PM to 5/8/2016 11:35:00 AM and jimmonty reviewed zero

or you could say that RakeInTheCache reviewed all waymarks for the month of August 2016 and jimmonty reviewed zero

That's all true, what I wanted to say is that the leader is still active (maybe not very active). The first step should be contacting the leader to promote new officers. It feels not good if a leader is active and officers start to promote random Waymarkers (I'm not talking of this case, I mean in general). If the leader is offline three days new officers are promoted without his knowing. If the new officers know the rules, it's maybe okay, but if not, it could lead to a mess. I know that RitC is a good officer.

jimmonty says,

First, I do not believe that waiting a month to have a waymark reviewed is acceptable practice for a category. (The waymark in question is http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMRWWN_Anita_Jean_Pierre_et_Stphanie_Colinot_Irancy_France and is still not reviewed. I do not know where you got your information but during this month, according to the Waymarking stats the category leader never connected to Waymarking. (I also don't believe that absentee category leaders should be allowed to continue to be leaders.) I became an officer of this group exactly because waymarks were not getting approved in a timely manner.

Before making the la la land comment, I had sent an e-mail to all officers pointing out the fact that there was a waymark in waiting. I received NO REPLY from ANYONE. I believe that fully justifies the label of "la la land".

Wow, we sure turned this conversation into "brain surgery" :lol:

However, the main point of this thread is: No new officers are promoted yet.

As of this moment, the vote is not completed yet but is supposed to complete today. BTW, BK-hunters, it was Tante.Hosse's name that I clicked on for the officer promotion. Will try to promote you if it works for Tante.Hosse.

:mad: Sorry, the vote to promote tante.hosse failed. I'm supposing that the category leader has voted against.

BTW, I only used the la la land comment in this forum, not in my communication with the officers. I'm guessing that the leader has not been reading the forums. So this comment probably did not vex him.

Edited by RakeInTheCache

:mad: Sorry, the vote to promote tante.hosse failed. I'm supposing that the category leader has voted against.

BTW, I only used the la la land comment in this forum, not in my communication with the officers. I'm guessing that the leader has not been reading the forums. So this comment probably did not vex him.

This is a common problem -- an inactive leader lets the category stagnate, then resents "new management" and votes against new officers or removal of old inactive officers, causing votes to fail. :( DEMOTIVATING

There are no new officers however 3 out of the 4 officers have been active in the last two weeks. The 4th really has a justifiable reason for not being active lately. There are ZERO waymarks waiting for review. RitC is not last one standing, in fact looking at the waymarks reviewed in the last year he is one of the most inactive officers in the category. The leader is far from inactive having review well over half of the waymarks in the category in last year. If RitC was concerned that his own waymark was waiting too long, he could have contacted the leader or just put his own waymark up for vote. (this sends a email to all officers to vote and the waymark would be approved 3 days later)

Sorry, but with all due respect I think this represents Groundspeak in denial and is not a fair representation of the situation. I think I mentioned in the thread that I did try to contact the leader without reply. This is sadly the norm rather than the exception. Waiting a month to have a waymark reviewed is simply unacceptable. Would you be motivated to put your waymark to a vote knowing no officer responded to your emails?

Edited by RakeInTheCache

Sorry, but with all due respect I think this represents Groundspeak in denial and is not a fair representation of the situation. I think I mentioned in the thread that I did try to contact the leader without reply. This is sadly the norm rather than the exception. Waiting a month to have a waymark reviewed is simply unacceptable. Would you be motivated to put your waymark to a vote knowing no leader responded to your emails?

It is far from Groundspeak denial but rather showing both sides of the history of this category. The leader and others in the category have reviewed most of the waymarks in the category the last year. How long the waymarks other than yours waited before getting reviewed I don't know but if they were longer than a month then why did you let them go that long? The leader or others did the approvals

Why wouldn't I be motivated to put my own waymark up for vote? Putting it up for vote forces action on it and 3 days later it is approved.

I would also add that just because they are active doesn't mean they are reviewing waymarks in this category.

Looking at the approval history in this category it looks like this statement applies to equally to yourself for most months in last couple years.

Sorry, but with all due respect I think this represents Groundspeak in denial and is not a fair representation of the situation. I think I mentioned in the thread that I did try to contact the leader without reply. This is sadly the norm rather than the exception. Waiting a month to have a waymark reviewed is simply unacceptable. Would you be motivated to put your waymark to a vote knowing no leader responded to your emails?

It is far from Groundspeak denial but rather showing both sides of the history of this category. The leader and others in the category have reviewed most of the waymarks in the category the last year. How long the waymarks other than yours waited before getting reviewed I don't know but if they were longer than a month then why did you let them go that long? The leader or others did the approvals

Why wouldn't I be motivated to put my own waymark up for vote? Putting it up for vote forces action on it and 3 days later it is approved.

I would also add that just because they are active doesn't mean they are reviewing waymarks in this category.

Looking at the approval history in this category it looks like this statement applies to equally to yourself for most months in last couple years.

OK let's take a closer look at the situation.

1) It can't really be said that the leader of the group is an active waymarker with 12 waymarks and 19 visits.

2) One of the four officers last reviewed a waymark in this category in 2013

3) A second officer last reviewed a waymark in this category a litte less than a year ago. (OK that leaves me and the leader as the only active reviewers in the past year)

4) I reviewed the first 5 waymarks in 2016

The leader and others in the category have reviewed most of the waymarks in the category the last year.

Yeh, like the leader and me. I guess the others are me.

How long the waymarks other than yours waited before getting reviewed I don't know

Well, the length to reviewing is like the point of this thread.

Why wouldn't I be motivated to put my own waymark up for vote?

I think you're not getting something I said before. If you sent an e-mail to all of the officers and no one bothered to reply, why would you think they would bother to vote?

As an aside, I would say that often (not always), those who are officers in several categories will defer to the leader to review waymarks and only step in when the leader doesn't react. This could be quite a while. The idea is that there are enough officers to step in and not let a waymark linger in limbo. In this case there are only 2 officers actively reviewing waymarks in this category in 2016. Already a clear problem. The leader should be making sure that the officers are active and work to replace those that aren't.

5) in the case of the next waymarks St Supery - Rutherford, CA., Whitehall Lane - St Helena, CA., Priest Ranch - Yountville, CA., William Cole - St Helena, CA., Charles Krug - St Helena, CA. waited 9 days before the leader reacted. Not a steller performance.

6) Cedar Lake Cellars looks good.

7) I reviewed the next 3 rapidly without waiting for the leader

8) Then came Anita, Jean-Pierre et Stéphanie Colinot (mine) which waited a month. As I previously mentioned, as an officer I sent out emails to all officers to prompt them without any response.

Sorry, but it seems there's really something you're not getting. This is not a healthy category, and I am definitely pulling my weight.

...or just put his own waymark up for vote. (this sends a email to all officers to vote and the waymark would be approved 3 days later)

@RitC: If no other officer votes and you vote with yea, the waymark will be approved 3 days later.

Yes, but under these circumstances it will get stuck in limbo until you free it by visiting the group page.

...or just put his own waymark up for vote. (this sends a email to all officers to vote and the waymark would be approved 3 days later)

@RitC: If no other officer votes and you vote with yea, the waymark will be approved 3 days later.

If I was against approving my own waymarks why would I choose that as a solution???? Kind of the same thing isn't it?

My personal opinion:

RitC if I was the group leader for this category and I lead several I would have demoted you and kicked you of of the group by now just for not working with the group and bringing it to the forums with a negative "la la land" opening post. I might promote a person or two or I might just set a reminder in my phone for every week or two to check in case I missed an email. After all this category has had less than 20 submissions in the last year, which is less than many categories get in a week.

I doubt Groundspeak will or should take any action toward this group leader except maybe advise him to promote an officer or two as he has reviewed more than half of all waymarks in the category including two in the last month.

Edited by BruceS

RitC if I was the group leader for this category and I lead several I would have demoted you and kicked you of of the group by now just for not working with the group and bringing it to the forums with a negative "la la land" opening post.

Bruce, it's a matter of being realistic. You seemed to have missed the part where I did try to work with the group but no one responded. I think you of all people should know that it is a rare occurrence when someone responds to an e-mail and that there are a lot of officers which just don't care about the categories they are members of.

None of the officers are active in the forums. To try and work with them in the forums would have been futile.

By the way, I think some people hugely overreacted to the use of La La Land. It is simply a descriptive term which means "the mental state of someone who is not aware".

Wow, from this thread it seems like everyone is really happy with the way absentee categories are handled. Did I miss something? Is now everything working perfectly?