Uploading geocaches from Android tablet

2tomsandapaula

Hi,

I have a Garmin eTrex 30 and plan to take it overseas to geocache. For simplicity, we don't want to take our laptops and plan instead to take an Android tablet, a Samsung Galaxy. I would like to upload caches to the GPSr froom the tablet. I tried and the GPSr didn't activate or connect; I fear it needs a powered USB and the micro USB the tablet hooks up to may not fit the bill. But I'm not sure because I think the cable I'm using may not be correct. (It's hard to explain.) Anyway, I'm looking for advice on whether it's possible to connect the Garmin GPS to the tablet and upload caches to it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a Garmin eTrex 30 and plan to take it overseas to geocache. For simplicity, we don't want to take our laptops and plan instead to take an Android tablet, a Samsung Galaxy. I would like to upload caches to the GPSr froom the tablet. I tried and the GPSr didn't activate or connect; I fear it needs a powered USB and the micro USB the tablet hooks up to may not fit the bill. But I'm not sure because I think the cable I'm using may not be correct. (It's hard to explain.) Anyway, I'm looking for advice on whether it's possible to connect the Garmin GPS to the tablet and upload caches to it. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have an Asus TF300 (4 year old, Android 4.2.1) with GDAK that I use on holiday. GDAK holds the database of all caches (in fact it's the database used in GSAK on my desktop) and I can update, download via API when "on the road". As the tablet has an external keyboard with "normal" USB, I can just plug in my Oregon600 and load a selection caches when needed. I suspect that using the right cable to connect your GPS will do the job.

A lot will depend on the app you're using as it will have to be able to export caches.

Not being PM will restrict your ability to get caches to the tablet anyway as you're limited to 3 caches/day with full description. As PM you could get (or refresh) 6000/day and download PQ's (10*1000 caches/day).

I have a Google Nexus 7, any cable solutions for that model? We will be soon traveling to FL and I've been loading caches into our Oregon 600 anywhere we'll stop for a day. We'll not be taking the laptop and only the tablets for internet. Sure would be nice if there was a mobile solution.