Using Urwigo to create messages within active zones

Wa wa

Hi there

I am using Urwigo to create my first cartrige. I have a number of zones set up. I am trying to set up a task so that when you are in the first zone zone it tells you where to go next and once you have left the zone the message disappears.

Additionally I would love it if I could give a distance countdown to the next zone without revealing all of the upcoming zones.

I have looked on youtube and even tried googling videos in other languages as there is very little in English. Is there any advice you can give me please?

Laura

The task

If you just want the task, I think you can set it to visible. You can use the zone's exit event to make it invisible.

Zone distance countdown

If you don't want to reveal the upcoming zones, set them as inactive--especially because someone could look at the list of active, visible zones and walk over to one of them and get further into the cartridge than intended. All zones have a distance countdown when they're both active and visible.

The task

If you just want the task, I think you can set it to visible. You can use the zone's exit event to make it invisible.

Zone distance countdown

If you don't want to reveal the upcoming zones, set them as inactive--especially because someone could look at the list of active, visible zones and walk over to one of them and get further into the cartridge than intended. All zones have a distance countdown when they're both active and visible.

Hi Ranger Fox

How do I use the zones exit to make the task invisible?

You have hit the nail on the head with your comment I dont want all zones to be visible all of the time.

I would like the tasks to be visible only in certain zones

When I am looking at Tasks in the Properties section of the task I have these options

Active

Complete and

Correctness

Then in the Events section I have

On active change :handled

On Complete change

On correct chng and

On click

I dont understand how to make the Task invisible once I have left a zone, or just visible when in the zone. I can make the tasks visible or invisible generally but not in zones. Could you give me some steps please.

Thanks

Laura

Whichever builder you're using (Urwigo, from the looks of it), you should see a zone event for "Exit" or something to that degree. This would be grouped with the other events: proximity, enter, and distant. You can set up an exit event in the same way you set up any other event: just tell Wherigo what you want done when the player exits your zone.

For making tasks visible, "Active" would be the property to use. If it's active, the task will show in the player's task list. Just toggle that on the zones' entry and exit events (or proximity and distant events if you still want to support Garmin GPS receivers).

You do make the tasks visible and invisible in a general sense through the use of the "Active" property. You're just controlling that through the zone events, which means you're giving it the appearance of being tied to the zone.

Thanks Ranger Fox !

Its brilliant to get some help

You are right I am using Urwigo

I am making progress

I have a question about your comment about proximity/distance making it compatible to Garmins?

Is there some functions that will work if the file is saved as a pocket pc device and used on a phone that wont work on a Garmin?

What changes do I need to make to the cartridge to make it usable on the different devices if any?

Do I need to upload different catridge files like for instance a pocket pc type and another for Garmins or do I use the "All devices" option?

Kind regards

Laura

The main thing that won't work between the Pocket PC format and Garmin is sound clips. If you select any other format than Pocket PC for your download, the site will strip out those sound clips. That's not a good thing to happen if your cartridge relies on sound. I think there used to be something with the Wherigo compiler where it would choose certain pictures based off the selected download device, but I haven't come across anyone who made use of that.

Unfortunately, my reviewer will not let me warn people on the geocache page. He claims that saying something like, "This cartridge is incompatible with the Garmin Wherigo Player. Please download this using only the Pocket PC format or you will not be able to complete the cartridge" conflicts with Groundspeak's non-commercial stance (as of a year and a half ago), regardless that the Garmin Wherigo Player is an officially-licensed Groundspeak product. So be careful how you word it on your cache page if you have a reviewer like mine.