What are the pink circles on the Geocache map?

aquaman33

I want to hide a cache in lovely spot close to my house. Its a really nice boardwalk through some woods next to a river. A great spot for families, but not many people know about it. A perfect Geocache location.

When I search on geocaching.com there are none listed near this location. But when I try to register my Geocache these 2 pink circles appear on the map. This implies that there are already 2 caches hidden there.

So my question is what do these pink circles represent?

Has someone started registering a cache there, but its never been approved?

Are these archived caches?

Are they the final stage of a multi-cache?

The pink circles have been there for more than 2 years.

Seems a shame that this location is blocked, but there aren't any caches there to find. I have Premium membership, so I know they aren't Premium caches.

Are your coordinates inside or outside of the circles? If it is outside then your cache could be published.

The 2 pink circles are close together, but there is a small gap between them. So I could hide the cache in the gap, but that would be quite restrictive.

I would go for it. If I'm understanding you correctly, appears there are already two caches in the area. I would find them first and adjust my coordinates. :)

You can always write a note to your reviewer asking for a coordinate check before you go out and place your cache. Create the cache listing with the coordinates you have in mind and submit, but write a reviewer note asking for a coordinate check and that the container is not yet in place so don't publish yet.

Are your coordinates inside or outside of the circles? If it is outside then your cache could be published.

The 2 pink circles are close together, but there is a small gap between them. So I could hide the cache in the gap, but that would be quite restrictive.

I would go for it. If I'm understanding you correctly, appears there are already two caches in the area. I would find them first and adjust my coordinates. :)

I'd like to find the 2 caches, but hard to know where to start. There must be a multi nearby that will lead me to them.

I'd like to find the 2 caches, but hard to know where to start. There must be a multi nearby that will lead me to them.

Start with multi and puzzle caches within a 2 mile radius. :)

Start with multi and puzzle caches within a 2 mile radius. :)

Are you sure?- I didn't think, and checking now seems to confirm, that the final stages of multis/mysteries are shown on the cache-placement map. This would be why people have played 'battleships' with reviewers when trying to work out where they are.....

What general area are you looking at? It might help if we know where to look to see what the issue might be. It would especially help if a reviewer happened along this thread and was able to use their reviewer hat to take a closer look.

Speaking of reviewers, you may want to reach out to your local reviewer and ask them the question. They will likely have better insight on things in your area.

I saw this thread and went to see whether the OP had a draft cache listing. Couldn't find one. I'd be happy to help if I knew the rough coordinates for the area we're talking about.

The approximate co-ordinates are:

33°48'40.7"S 151°08'36.2"E

-33.811311, 151.143386

There is a boardwalk along the river. The river is to the west and there is a cliff to the east. So it needs to be hidden close to the boardwalk.

The planning map has pink circles to the north and south of these co-ordinates. I have just discovered that the one to the north is a Traditional Cache. But the one to the south is unknown.

As mentioned above I could fit it in between the other 2 "caches" but this is a bit restrictive.

Edited by aquaman33

I saw this thread and went to see whether the OP had a draft cache listing. Couldn't find one. I'd be happy to help if I knew the rough coordinates for the area we're talking about.

The approximate co-ordinates are:

33°48'40.7"S 151°08'36.2"E

-33.811311, 151.143386

There is a boardwalk along the river. The river is to the west and there is a cliff to the east. So it needs to be hidden close to the boardwalk.

The planning map has pink circles to the north and south of these co-ordinates. I have just discovered that the one to the north is a Traditional Cache. But the one to the south is unknown.

As mentioned above I could fit it in between the other 2 "caches" but this is a bit restrictive.

Those coordinates are too close to an hidden Additional Waypoint associated with an active cache Listing. You might want to look for another spot, or talk with your Local Reviewer about other options, or where you might find an open spot in the area.

Related Help Center article:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199