Solved Mysetery coordinates

Fankies

Another geocacher and I just sent a ton of time solving all the Peace Mystery caches in the middle of Lake Washington in Seattle. Because the original cache coordinates are actually in the middle of a lake the acrual caches could be anyway around the lake. To make things more difficult the lake is also now tolled. Not to mention the lake is 10 miles long. Is there a way to map the cashes by the corrected map coordinates? Otherwise I don't see how we can keep from running back and forth over the lake and all around it.

Any help would be great!! Thanks Fankies

Another geocacher and I just sent a ton of time solving all the Peace Mystery caches in the middle of Lake Washington in Seattle. Because the original cache coordinates are actually in the middle of a lake the acrual caches could be anyway around the lake. To make things more difficult the lake is also now tolled. Not to mention the lake is 10 miles long. Is there a way to map the cashes by the corrected map coordinates? Otherwise I don't see how we can keep from running back and forth over the lake and all around it.

Create a Bookmark List of the caches, then create a Pocket Query of the list. View/print the map of the PQ.

i usually drop (guestimated) waypoints for a place i think something is, then once i find that something I'll average the waypoint and finalize is coordinates, saving both the guesstimated cords and the real cords in the description of the waypoint. i do it via locus , an Android app. you could do that same with any online mapping program, fairly easily.

i usually drop (guestimated) waypoints for a place i think something is, then once i find that something I'll average the waypoint and finalize is coordinates, saving both the guesstimated cords and the real cords in the description of the waypoint. i do it via locus , an Android app. you could do that same with any online mapping program, fairly easily.

I'm completely confused as to how this is remotely helpful to the OP.

thanks for the input, sorry you're confused.

An option is a 3rd party app like Cachly or others that properly display caches with corrected coordinates properly on the map. The small fee is nothing compared to the features and frustration reduction by not using the current GC.com app.

I know this topic is a bit old and the OP's original need is a moot point, since the Peace Sign series was archived a couple weeks ago. But, I figured I'd post this info anyway, since it might be helpful to some to know about the available options.

The question mark icons can be viewed at the corrected coordinates, assuming each cache listing has been updated with the solved coordinates, on the geocaching.com website. The difference is how you're getting to the map:

Play -> Find a Geocache -> Enter city/area/etc -> Search -> Map These Results -- Mystery question marks appear at the 'corrected' coords.

Play -> View Geocache Map -- Mystery question marks appear at the original 'listed' coords.

Below image shows the difference. The top image is what's seen when browsing the geocaching map. The bottom image is what's seen when I do a search around GC3QF2N and zoom in to the lake area. The caches I've solved no longer show as being in the lake, but show up in their solved locations - which I obviously can't show because that would be spoilers. The caches I still haven't solved continue to show as being in the lake.

gc-solvedcoords-map.png

I know this topic is a bit old and the OP's original need is a moot point, since the Peace Sign series was archived a couple weeks ago. But, I figured I'd post this info anyway, since it might be helpful to some to know about the available options.

The question mark icons can be viewed at the corrected coordinates, assuming each cache listing has been updated with the solved coordinates, on the geocaching.com website. The difference is how you're getting to the map:

Play -> Find a Geocache -> Enter city/area/etc -> Search -> Map These Results -- Mystery question marks appear at the 'corrected' coords.

Play -> View Geocache Map -- Mystery question marks appear at the original 'listed' coords.

Below image shows the difference. The top image is what's seen when browsing the geocaching map. The bottom image is what's seen when I do a search around GC3QF2N and zoom in to the lake area. The caches I've solved no longer show as being in the lake, but show up in their solved locations - which I obviously can't show because that would be spoilers. The caches I still haven't solved continue to show as being in the lake.

gc-solvedcoords-map.png

If you corrected coordinates back to the original published coordinates after solving and finding some of the caches in the geoart, wouldn't the map show the geoart but with smileys instead of mystery cache icons? You could even use the personal cache note for the solved coordinates and it wouldn't change where the caches display on the map but still allow you to keep the solved coordinate for each cache. Personally I see doing geoart caches as a "sub-game", and if that means you have to put in a little extra work to maintain a list of caches in a spread sheet or some other format I'd see that happen than have GS spend development resources to support a sub-game when those resources could be spent on other issues.

If you corrected coordinates back to the original published coordinates after solving and finding some of the caches in the geoart, wouldn't the map show the geoart but with smileys instead of mystery cache icons? You could even use the personal cache note for the solved coordinates and it wouldn't change where the caches display on the map but still allow you to keep the solved coordinate for each cache. Personally I see doing geoart caches as a "sub-game", and if that means you have to put in a little extra work to maintain a list of caches in a spread sheet or some other format I'd see that happen than have GS spend development resources to support a sub-game when those resources could be spent on other issues.

I didn't read the post by the previous cacher as asking to re-show the "art". The cacher was highlighting how to *properly* see the map of where the caches were after being solved vs the poorly, in my opinion, view of the caches where they are not. The art display is cute but useless when going to find the cache at its real coordinates.

This same poor display of where they are not is also poorly displayed in the geocaching.com smartphone app and one reason I purchased Cachly which displays the caches at their solved location where they actually are.

The maps should show caches at corrected coords because that is where they are. GC.com can do as shown, but doesn't always do, also as shown. The inconsistency is a poor user experience and when out in the field, displaying a cache where it is not is a poor user experience.

I have to agree...that response makes zero sense with regards to the question.

gc-solvedcoords-map.png

Thanks for the answer. We finally figured out that you have to use the site to do about half the things we needed for this process. However, when the point of what you are doing is to be out and about, having to use a website instead of having features integrated into an app seems silly. We had to keep switching back and forth from the App, to our Search Engine and then to a GPS map that reachable by going back to the app. I realize that what you can do on a website is more powerful than an app, but for something that's sole purpose is to be away from your computer and on your app, there seems to be quite a bit that lacks here. I love the idea of this app, but the more I use it the more restricting I find it. :(

Edited by Fankies

Thanks for the answer. We finally figured out that you have to use the site to do about half the things we needed for this process. However, when the point of what you are doing is to be out and about, having to use a website instead of having features integrated into an app seems silly. We had to keep switching back and forth from the App, to our Search Engine and then to a GPS map that reachable by going back to the app. I realize that what you can do on a website is more powerful than an app, but for something that's sole purpose is to be away from your computer and on your app, there seems to be quite a bit that lacks here. I love the idea of this app, but the more I use it the more restricting I find it. :(

I have to agree...that response makes zero sense with regards to the question.

I agree it didn't really answer my question, but I appreciate the effort. :)

Now I need to figure out how to delete multiple posts. :)

You can't delete them; you can only edit them. Use them to say something else, or just "."

You can't delete them; you can only edit them. Use them to say something else, or just "."

Thank you!!

I didn't read the post by the previous cacher as asking to re-show the "art". The cacher was highlighting how to *properly* see the map of where the caches were after being solved vs the poorly, in my opinion, view of the caches where they are not. The art display is cute but useless when going to find the cache at its real coordinates.

Thank you Team DEMP for seeing the purpose of the image I included. A GeoArt collection of icons seemed like the easiest way to display how mystery icons can be 'moved' depending on whether they are viewed in the 'map' vs 'search results'. I could've shown a single mystery icon from a non-GeoArt cache and then shown another image where that mystery icon has disappeared, but it didn't seem like that would be as demonstrative as showing numerous mystery icons in one image.

I'm having a difficult time understanding NYPC's response, in regards to how it relates to my post that he quoted.

If I want to see the geoart with all smileys, then I can use 'View Geocache Map' and the smileys will be in the GeoArt shape. Of course, I still haven't solved many of them (as shown in the bottom image), so I'm not sure I'll get around to finding them all either. But for those that have solved and found them all, they can see the smileys in the GeoArt shape or see the smileys at their corrected coords, depending on how they view the map. The bolded part was the point of my post/image, as that was a direct answer to the OP's question. Although now I see that the OP was hoping to accomplish it in the app, instead of the website, which wasn't specified in the original query that I was responding to.

I did not remotely request that GS expend resources to support the 'sub-game' that you consider GeoArt to be. How does showing corrected coords of mystery icons arranged in GeoArt differ from showing corrected coords of mystery icons that are not arranged in GeoArt? I feel like I've hit some type of GeoArt nerve or something.