Found unlisted cache in Montenegro

Gill & Tony

I'm hoping a Reviewer or Lackey can help me.

I have just found a cache on the island of Our Lady of the Rocks in Montenegro. I've just searched with Google Earth geocache viewer and there is no cache listed there. Possibilities are that is is archived, but the container is in place or it is the final of either a multi or a puzzle.

The coordinates shown on Google Earth are approximately 42 29 11.85N 18 41 19.36E. I don't know how to persuade GE to give me our more familiar coordinates. I didn't have my GPS with me so I couldn't get an accurate set of coordinates

I found it, signed the log but don't know the GC code. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Tony

p.s. It has a spoiler photo, so that should confirm whether it was in the same general area.

p.p.s. Math can get you DD mm.mmm coordinates when you have DD mm ss.ss coordinates. Just divide the seconds by 60, round to 3 digits, and you have the familiar set of coordinates. It works in converse for DD.DDDDDDD coordinates, which is what I usually get off Google maps: just multiply the decimal portion by 60 and you get decimal minutes.

Here, your coordinates give N 42 29.198 E 18 41.323. Listed coordinates for GC2E7ZK are N 42° 29.202 E 018° 41.346 so I think you're right in the neighborhood. It's also been logged twice since the owner archived it in July, so signs point to it still being around despite the archival.

Thanks! I love solving these.

Hzoi - that is definitely the cache I found. The spoiler proves it.

NanCycle - thanks for the GE tutorial.

I found the cache with the help of our tour guide who said "there is a cache over there". So, a couple of questions

1. Am I entitled to claim a find on a throwdown on an archived cache?

2. Should I ask the tour guide to clean up the geolitter next time he goes there?

Cheers

Tony

Hzoi - that is definitely the cache I found. The spoiler proves it.

NanCycle - thanks for the GE tutorial.

I found the cache with the help of our tour guide who said "there is a cache over there". So, a couple of questions

1. Am I entitled to claim a find on a throwdown on an archived cache?

2. Should I ask the tour guide to clean up the geolitter next time he goes there?

Cheers

Tony

Good point. I didn't glean that it was a throwdown from the logs, but it is.

For #1, that's really up to you as to whether you would log a find or not, and to the cache owner as to whether they will allow your find to stand should you log it.

In your defense, you didn't know it was a throwdown when you found it and signed the log. Personally, I don't go looking for throwdowns, but in cases where I didn't know it was a throwdown before I found it and signed the log, I went ahead and logged it. I for one would not cast aspersions if you logged this as a find. And as for what the cache owner would do, well, they have yet to delete the finds for the two that placed the throwdown, so it's doubtful they would delete your find.

For #2, I'd post a note to the cache page and/or contact the owner and see what they want to do. They may be happy to adopt the throwdown as a replacement cache and get the listing un-archived. Or they may have washed their hands of it. It appears to have been a vacation cache, after all -- cache owner is Hungarian, not local, and was relying on a semi-local cacher to maintain it.

Edited by hzoi

I would never log a found it on an archived cache. Only exception is going out to find a cache only to discover it was archived before I could log in evening.

This one was gone for a while before it was archived and that was more than a month ago..

In short, it's archived, it's not the CO's cache, don't log. Last two finds should be deleted also.

I would never log a found it on an archived cache. Only exception is going out to find a cache only to discover it was archived before I could log in evening.

I would log a found it on an archived cache in a heartbeat, if the owner didn't care about removing it.

Point is, the cache wasn't found, it was long gone.

This one was gone for a while before it was archived and that was more than a month ago..

In short, it's archived, it's not the CO's cache, don't log. Last two finds should be deleted also.

Twice in the past I have found archived caches.

One was archived by request of the US National Park Service and the CO never bothered to retrieve it. People were still looking for it and logging it. I went out, retrieved the cache, and reused the container for something else, but I logged the find on it.

The second was a multi archived by the CO because the container went missing, but whoever took the container later returned it. I found it after logging another multi in the same area and logged my find. The CO was glad to hear the cache was back and ended up unarchiving the cache (after moving the final due to proximity issues with the newer multi).

In this case, the CO archived it, believing it missing, and then it was replaced after the fact to give two cachers a throwdown find. So that makes it much more questionable. I would not have gone looking for such a cache, knowing it was a throwdown placed after archival. But if I stumbled across it not knowing the history, I would be more inclined to log my find.

I would log a found it on an archived cache in a heartbeat, if the owner didn't care about removing it.

No, that is not what you said and my reply didn't touch that matter.

Rebore, I agree with you if an owner had failed to remove an archived cache and it was still there for me to find.

This one is different, as it went missing, and the owner archived it. Then two weeks after the archival, two cachers came along later, threw down a new cache, and logged finds on it.

Rebore, I agree with you if an owner had failed to remove an archived cache and it was still there for me to find.

This one is different, as it went missing, and the owner archived it. Then two weeks after the archival, two cachers came along later, threw down a new cache, and logged finds on it.

I agree, that is very poor style and maybe the archived listing should be locked in this case. I was just objecting to the general "Never log a find on an archived cache" statement, I think there is a reason why archived listings are not automatically locked.

For #2, I'd post a note to the cache page and/or contact the owner and see what they want to do. They may be happy to adopt the throwdown as a replacement cache and get the listing un-archived.

You mean "accept" the throwdown as a replacement cache.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=70

4.23. Unarchiving a Geocache

The archiving of a geocache is intended to be a permanent status. That is why only community volunteer reviewers and Geocaching HQ staff have the capability to unarchive it. This is done only in rare circumstances and only if it meets the current Geocache Listing Guidelines.

If a geocache is archived by a reviewer or staff for lack of maintenance it will not be unarchived.

For #2, I'd post a note to the cache page and/or contact the owner and see what they want to do. They may be happy to adopt the throwdown as a replacement cache and get the listing un-archived.

You mean "accept" the throwdown as a replacement cache.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=70

4.23. Unarchiving a Geocache

The archiving of a geocache is intended to be a permanent status. That is why only community volunteer reviewers and Geocaching HQ staff have the capability to unarchive it. This is done only in rare circumstances and only if it meets the current Geocache Listing Guidelines.

If a geocache is archived by a reviewer or staff for lack of maintenance it will not be unarchived.

Actually, if one reads the logs, that was about the eighth throw down cache. So I doubt the CO would be interested.