New category proposal: fishing port in the world

Hello I propose to discuss a new category: fishing ports in the world.

What do you think ?

I'm not very familiar with the forum

Here the beginning of the description of this category

Description:

From time immemorial, man has had to seek food. He started catching fish by hand.

Over time, he perfected his approach. He brought together groups of fishermen: fishing ports.

Expanded Description:

A port is a location to accommodate boats and ships.

A port is usually on the seaboard, on the banks of a lake or along an important river. Fishing ports are the most common ports in the world.

Often, fishing ports are small in size.

For this to be a fishing port, there must have a commercial activity on the fishing and not a hobby

The size of boats welcomed at the ports will vary.

Deep-sea trawlers leaving to fish for several weeks will require plenty of dock space when they return to unload their cargo.

Small fishing boats leaving only for the day can quickly unload their fish for sale.

The objective of this category is to identify the various fishing ports around the world that are still active.

In this category, we are seeking as much information as possible.

The aim is to help visitors learn more about the methods of the fisheries industry.

Instructions for Posting a Fishing ports in the world Waymark:

The co-ordinates must be taken nearest to the loading dock. Take care not to fall in.

Include a photograph of fishing boats and an overview photograph of the entire port. Indicate whether the fishing boats are industrial (high-tonnage vessels with heavy fishing) or small independent fishing boat (size usually makes the difference).

Please also describe other activities which take place at the fishing port: sales of fresh fish from the harbour, a fish processing industry, a marina for the shelter of fishing boats, etc. What are the main species being fished?

Share some history of the port. Cite your sources (Wikipedia or others).

Passenger-ship ports or cargo-only ports do not qualify in this category.

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

Proof of your visit is required. Attach to your log entry a photograph of you in front of the port or a fishing boat.

Edited by pmaupin

A port is usually on the seaboard, on the banks of a lake or along an important river. Fishing ports are the most common ports in the world.

For me, these are too common. Every coastal city, or city on a large river, sea, or ocean is a fishing port. Over-prevalent and therefore mundane.

For me, these are too common. Every coastal city, or city on a large river, sea, or ocean is a fishing port. Over-prevalent and therefore mundane.

^This

How do you define a "fishing port"? Is it any port where a fishing vessel operates from? Does there have to be a minimum number of fishing vessels to qualify as a "fishing port"? Do the fishing vessels have to be commercial, or can they be recreational?

I just see this as being too vague to be realistic. There are very few ports worldwide where the sole purpose (no pun intended) is to service fishing vessels, so this definition would make the category too narrow. On the other hand, if it's any port that a fishing vessel operates from, then it's far too broad and would include nearly any port, harbour, and marina worldwide. To get to a reasonable number of locations, you'd have to come up with an arbitrary definition of "fishing port" using a combination of number and type of vessels (e.g. must service at least 10 commercial fishing vessels), which just seems silly.

Are these also going to be included: Crab, Crayfish, Lobster, Abalone, Mussels, Oyster or Shrimp?

Also not sure what this means: "The aim is to help visitors learn more about the methods of the fisheries industry."

It must first preserve fishing port, with boats who fish only fish

To help the visitor, one can speak of different types of thread used on the fish we are going to fish

For this to be a fishing port, there must have a commercial activity on the fishing and not a hobby

Edited by pmaupin

Agreed. I don't really care about this category one way or another, but from our experiences here, if you don't include those other kinds of fishing, then in about a year (or less) someone else is going to come along and say "Darn it. That category is too restrictive. I think I'll try to start a new category for the other types of fishing that they should have allowed."

Better to just make it a variable or something, instead of having a slew of very-related categories.

(Analogy: We shouldn't need Abandoned Cemeteries and Churchyard Cemeteries if the original Worldwide Cemeteries had had variables for those things.)

Edited by MountainWoods

Agreed. I don't really care about this category one way or another, but from our experiences here, if you don't include those other kinds of fishing, then in about a year (or less) someone else is going to come along and say "Darn it. That category is too restrictive. I think I'll try to start a new category for the other types of fishing that they should have allowed."

Better to just make it a variable or something, instead of having a slew of very-related categories.

(Analogy: We shouldn't need Abandoned Cemeteries and Churchyard Cemeteries if the original Worldwide Cemeteries had had variables for those things.)

That is true and you are absolutely right.

Still fishing, likely the same ports. I think they should be included.

BK-Hunters agree, as well. Without crustaceans and shellfish included in the category you'll get a "NO" vote from us. The major reason is that in many, if not most places, fishermen will fish what is in season. Lobster this week and cod or haddock next week. In areas we've traveled a fishing port services both fishermen who fish for fish and those who fish for crustaceans and/or shellfish. Mountainwoods, as well, makes an excellent point. Better to include all types of seafood now to prevent the inception of a superfluous fishing category down the road.

Also, since you're correctly wishing to include only commercial fishing ports, just add the word Commercial to the name: Commercial Fishing Ports of the World, or, better, just Commercial Fishing Ports. "Brevity is the soul of wit".

Ok to include shellfish, but the main activity is to be fish!

The main activity will be fishing. Regardless of the catch, the fishermen refer to their activity as fishing and to themselves as fishermen.

Another thought, this with regard to "over prevalence": Essentially every fishing port will have a town hall, a fire hall, a park or seven, possibly a courthouse, and etc... To date I've heard no complaints of these being "over prevalent".

Edited by BK-Hunters

Still fishing, likely the same ports. I think they should be included.

BK-Hunters agree, as well. Without crustaceans and shellfish included in the category you'll get a "NO" vote from us. The major reason is that in many, if not most places, fishermen will fish what is in season. Lobster this week and cod or haddock next week. In areas we've traveled a fishing port services both fishermen who fish for fish and those who fish for crustaceans and/or shellfish. Mountainwoods, as well, makes an excellent point. Better to include all types of seafood now to prevent the inception of a superfluous fishing category down the road.

Also, since you're correctly wishing to include only commercial fishing ports, just add the word Commercial to the name: Commercial Fishing Ports of the World, or, better, just Commercial Fishing Ports. "Brevity is the soul of wit".

Your remarks are very relevant, and I am going to take into account it in the modification of the title

Hello I just changed the title, and add your comments in the description.

What do you think

category: Commercial Fishing Ports

Description:

From time immemorial, man has had to seek food. He started catching fish by hand.

Over time, he perfected his approach. He brought together groups of fishermen: fishing ports.

Expanded Description:

For this to be a fishing port, there must be commercial fishing activity, not hobby fishing.

Fishing for crustaceans and shellfish can be included.

Deep-sea trawlers leaving to fish for several weeks will require plenty of dock space when they return to unload their cargo.

Small fishing boats leaving only for the day can quickly unload their fish for sale.

The objective of this category is to identify the various fishing ports around the world that are still active.

The aim is to help visitors learn more about the methods of the fisheries industry.

Instructions for Posting a Commercial Fishing Ports Waymark:

The co-ordinates must be taken nearest to the loading dock. Take care not to fall in.

Include a photograph of fishing boats and an overview photograph of the entire port. Indicate whether the fishing boats are industrial (high-tonnage vessels for heavy fishing) or small independent fishing boat. Size usually makes the difference.

Please also describe other activities which take place at the fishing port: sales of fresh fish from the harbour, a fish processing industry, a marina for the shelter of fishing boats, etc. What are the main species being fished?

Proof of your visit is required. Attach to your log entry a photograph of you in front of the port or a fishing boat.

Edited by pmaupin

Co-ordinates. Some ports are rather large. Where do you take the co-ordinates, and what if the public are not allowed there?

What if one waymarker waymarks one end of the port, and a second waymarker waypoints the other end?

Having to photograph yourself at the location went out a long time ago.

Surely the photographs (What photgraphs are required, and how many as a minimum?) are what proove you were there.

Co-ordinates. Some ports are rather large. Where do you take the co-ordinates, and what if the public are not allowed there?

What if one waymarker waymarks one end of the port, and a second waymarker waypoints the other end?

Surely the photographs (What photgraphs are required, and how many as a minimum?) are what proove you were there.

To co-ordinate why not just take the middle of the platform, this would put photos on both sides of the harbor

And if the public is not allowed, then a picture of the prohibition sign, generally there is the name of the port on this panel

and a picture of you with GPS

Edited by pmaupin

To co-ordinate why not just take the middle of the platform, this would put photos on both sides of the harbor

And if the public is not allowed, then a picture of the prohibition sign, generally there is the name of the port on this panel

Here we go with the photo proof.... and keep in mind that many Waymarkers don't even have a GPS unit, we use smartphones now.

Here we go with the photo proof.... and keep in mind that many Waymarkers don't even have a GPS unit, we use smartphones now.

Obviously yes, but on smartphones there is a GPS function

Obviously yes, but on smartphones there is a GPS function

Yes, but the take a selfie as photo proof of visit? Why can't I just upload a quality photo that I took of the Waymark? Why must I be in the photo? :unsure:

"Why must I be in the photo?" Difficult for us as we do not use a cell phone and of course we go to great effort to NOT be in our pictures even as shadows. But that pesty blue car that keeps following us everywhere we go keeps getting in our pictures or we shot the dashboard.

If this has not been corrected yet it is coordinates

Edited by BK-Hunters

"Why must I be in the photo?" Difficult for us as we do not use a cell phone and of course we go to great effort to NOT be in our pictures even as shadows. But that pesty blue car that keeps following us everywhere we go keeps getting in our pictures or we shot the dashboard.

If this has not been corrected yet it is coordinates

coordinates is corrected

category: Commercial Fishing Ports

Description:

Expanded Description:

For this to be a fishing port, there must be commercial fishing activity, not hobby fishing.

Fishing for crustaceans and shellfish can be included.

Instructions for Posting a Commercial Fishing Ports Waymark:

The coordinates must be taken nearest to the loading dock. Take care not to fall in.

Include a photograph of fishing boats and an overview photograph of the entire port. Indicate whether the fishing boats are industrial (high-tonnage vessels for heavy fishing) or small independent fishing boat. Size usually makes the difference.

Proof of your visit is required. Post a photo of your visit, showing the port area and fishing boats. Describe your visit.

Edited by pmaupin

Proof of your visit is required. Attach to your log entry a photograph of yourself or your "fetish" in front of the port or a fishing boat.

No thanks, I won't be supporting your new category proposal idea. Waymarking to me is about posting quality photos, not those "wear a silly hat" photo logging requirements.

As for Fishing Ports of the World, it has potential as a category, but needs lots of work.

I'm just guessing that you would want proof of visit because you are comparing Virtual geocaches to Waymarks and want to prevent Armchair logs?

Fake finds is not an issue with Waymarks, you will be lucky if they are ever visited. :ph34r:

I am still not really happy with that description. I am missing something, but I am not sure what it is exactly and I neither have a solution.

I try to explain my point. When I hear "fishing port" then I see those picturesque and colorful ports in fishermen's villages I have seen in the Carribean or Mediterrean Sea or the less colorful but still picturesque ones at the North Sea, and then I think that's a good idea for a category.

But when I read the proposal the I see one of those industrial ports that look all more or less the same worldwide and then I don't know why this should be a category, because DougK is right. If it's about fish or other freight is in the end nothing than a line in an economic chart of the municipal administration. It does not make a difference.

I wish to see this difference, the spirit that makes a good category and the listed locations worth a visit.

This is what I am missing. You have been discussing details so far. That's fine, but the whole thing has no soul yet and that would be more important.

I am sure we can make this difference without becoming too narrow and nitpick specific, but we are not there yet.

I am still not really happy with that description. I am missing something, but I am not sure what it is exactly and I neither have a solution...

I wish to see this difference, the spirit that makes a good category and the listed locations worth a visit.

This is what I am missing. You have been discussing details so far. That's fine, but the whole thing has no soul yet and that would be more important.

Ultimately, the soul of a category lies not in how minutely it is defined, nor in the verbiage employed to accomplish the task. It lies in the Waymarks and the Waymarkers which the category attracts. I, myself, envision the potential for dozens, perhaps hundreds of wonderful Waymarks submitted from 200, 500 and 1,000 year old fishing ports, lines of oar and sail driven boats and ships coming and going through the day, sometimes returning joyous and heavily laden with the "catch of the day", sometimes returning home, heads bowed in despair and empty handed. Creating a picturesque backdrop for the port are the 200, 500 and 1,000 year old buildings of the village; the homes, businesses and meeting places of these very fishermen who have gone down to the sea for untold numbers of generations.

No, the spirit and soul of a category lie not in the description and the bill of requirements but in the Waymarks which follow. And yes, there will inevitably be a lot of clunkers in the pile, just as there are good and bad Waymarkers and good and bad sites, both equally Waymarkable, if not equally desirable. Take the bad with the good, move on and learn.

Waymarking is not so much about finding and visiting other peoples Waymarks as it is listing new Waymarks created to the category.

To what end?

To whatever end the Waymarker chooses. It is, after all, his Waymark, his time and his effort, so it's also his choice as to what end the activity is intended. This may be something that a non-Waymarker, such as yourself, would have difficulty understanding.

Edited by BK-Hunters

Waymarking is not so much about finding and visiting other peoples Waymarks as it is listing new Waymarks created to the category.

To what end?

Waymarking is just like the old location-less geocaches. When those were retired along with virtuals Groundspeak came up with Waymarking.

I would like to see the category for Fishing Ports that I could visit, and I would be more interested in listing my own new WM's than visiting other people's WM's.

I am still not really happy with that description. I am missing something, but I am not sure what it is exactly and I neither have a solution...

Ultimately, the soul of a category lies not in how minutely it is defined, nor in the verbiage employed to accomplish the task. It lies in the Waymarks and the Waymarkers which the category attracts. I, myself, envision the potential for dozens, perhaps hundreds of wonderful Waymarks submitted from 200, 500 and 1,000 year old fishing ports, lines of oar and sail driven boats and ships coming and going through the day, sometimes returning joyous and heavily laden with the "catch of the day", sometimes returning home, heads bowed in despair and empty handed. Creating a picturesque backdrop for the port are the 200, 500 and 1,000 year old buildings of the village; the homes, businesses and meeting places of these very fishermen who have gone down to the sea for untold numbers of generations.

No, the spirit and soul of a category lie not in the description and the bill of requirements but in the Waymarks which follow. And yes, there will inevitably be a lot of clunkers in the pile, just as there are good and bad Waymarkers and good and bad sites, both equally Waymarkable, if not equally desirable. Take the bad with the good, move on and learn.

Yes, you are right. The soul of a category lies in the waymarks - once the category is approved. I have seen many great historic fishing ports and I would like to see the category come to live.

But there is another spirit that lies in the category description. Sometimes you feel that the group has some real passion for the subject, and sometimes you feel that the group leader just wants to make the most of his premium membership and also have a category, no matter which one. If you feel the passion of the first case, this is definitively going to help in peer review. Currently, I do not see this spirit. And because I would like to see this category, I try to raise this spirit. In the end this is just some sort of marketing, I know, the real soul will come with the waymarks.

You know that I am French.

I live in the first fishing port of France, and I am proud to live there.

I'm not a fisherman, but I love to walk on the fish docks.

Of course both to small trawlers landing their fish daily.

There are also industrial trawlers, but this is not the same.

I want to share this passion.

A fishing port is not only a place or boats.

It is also a place of fisherman living a very difficult profession, or take risks. The water is not always their friend.

Edited by pmaupin