New category proposal: fishing port in the world

You know that I am French.

I live in the first fishing port of France, and I am proud to live there.

I'm not a fisherman, but I love to walk on the fish docks.

Of course both to small trawlers landing their fish daily.

There are also industrial trawlers, but this is not the same.

I want to share this passion.

A fishing port is not only a place or boats.

It is also a place of fisherman living a very difficult profession, or take risks. The water is not always their friend.

It is clear that you do love a fishing port, but please understand that in the US it will not be possible to walk onto the docks and take a photo. Our ports are often owned by the government or a governmental port authority, and you can't get on without authorization. No one can just walk around on the docks anymore.

We had to take photos of a couple of ports from highways as we drove by, because when we stopped at one to take photos of a historic disaster memorial, port police were on us in under 30 seconds and forbade us from taking ANY photos -- even of the memorial they built,, and a historic marker they sought from the state.

In Texas and along the Gulf Ciast, most shrimp trawlers and smaller fishing boats will sell their catch to the public or to restaurants not inside the port itself but outside of it at a pier set aside for that purpose. Small shrimpers in Corpus Christi sell their catch at the T-head piers downtown to the public and restaurants, but the commercial shrimpers take their catch to the port of CC, which is a closed area. Sometimes excess catch or wrong species that are not wanted by the commercial buyer are offloaded downtown too. Some shrimpers will accidentally catch redfish, and you can buy that from their shrimp boats on the piers.

Also -- many times the big fishing port is in one city, but the fishing boats dock and operate out of another city. Example: Rockport TX is full of shrimping and oyster boats, but no canneries or processing facilities. Catch for processing is offloaded in Corpus Christi or Galveston -- wherever e processor wants the catch. Palacios TX is a center of the Vietnamese immigrant community in Texas and a hive of shrimp boats that offload in Galvestion or Biloxi MS. Can I waymark Rockport? Can I waymark Palacios?

I don't like the photo of me at the place requirement either -- I don't appear in my WM photos, and I hate GPS photos. A personally taken photo of the place should always be sufficient for a visit.

Fishing ports won't fit into fishing holes category I think -- to me, the fishing holes category is to waymark places for individuals to go fish for fun and not for profit. I waymarked a neighborhood park lake as a fishing hole. No one would sell those fish for a living. A boat won't even fit on the lake.

As a waymarker, I winder about the requirement to go into detail of the fishing methods. if the place is what is important, and the place is a fishing port, then how the boats go fishing is really not relevant, I think. If you want to create a place to preserve the history and methods of fishing boats, then Waymarking may not exactly be what you are looking for. Maybe a better way to do that would be to write a personal blog or write for a fishing historical society. Waymarking is a place to present history, but not methods.

I will look again at the category description and see if I have other inputs.

I do think that for this category to be TRULY GLOBAL, it will have to take into account that fishing port rules are different in each country, as are industry practices. Some ports are more permissive, and some are very restrictive. Some boats in France may dock in and deliver to canneries in the same city, but boats along the Gulf Coast of the US may not.

I'm a supporter and hope this category can be polished up and re-reviewed by the community, with a positive outcome this time. :)

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

??????????????

Looks to me that your new category proposal would fit in that existing category.

I don't think so. To my mind, the category of Fishing holes is for weekend or casual worm-drowners, not professional industrial fishermen. The category is clearly written this way, and many parks are waymarked there very appropriately.

No one would think that a public park with a lake is also a fishing port, just because there may be a chance to fish with your kid there.

I hope you are making a harmless joke and not teasing new and passionate category writers who have come here for help.

??????????????

Looks to me that your new category proposal would fit in that existing category.

That is ridiculous. Fishing Holes has nothing to do with fleets of fishing trawlers, based in a port, who travel out into the deep ocean following the shoals of fish. Fishing Holes waymarks favourite fishing spots for hobby fishing.

+1 Punga and Paua.

You had voted in support of the category in peer review :) What do you think of the new category description that is being discussed here? :)

I hope you are making a harmless joke and not teasing new and passionate category writers who have come here for help.

No, I wasn't joking. I have never visited a fishing port (I don't think) and I'm having trouble understanding.

I have been to the outer banks (OBX) of North Carolina, which I also saw OBX listed in the Fishing Hole category. That is a very large barrier island and it is a fishing port, or is it several different fishing ports? You tell me, I'm confused. :unsure:

No, I wasn't joking. I have never visited a fishing port (I don't think) and I'm having trouble understanding.

I have been to the outer banks (OBX) of North Carolina, which I also saw OBX listed in the Fishing Hole category. That is a very large barrier island and it is a fishing port, or is it several different fishing ports? You tell me, I'm confused. :unsure:

Certainly the OBX are large enough to accomodate a fishing port AND small spots for hobby fishermen too, each in their own category. :)

Certainly the OBX are large enough to accomodate a fishing port AND small spots for hobby fishermen too, each in their own category. :)

That really didn't answer my question. Is OBX a fishing port or are there several fishing ports on OBX?

We can charter boats to sport fish there, and there are commercial fishing as well and several places to buy fish and oysters.

Here is something that I did understand:

but please understand that in the US it will not be possible to walk onto the docks and take a photo. Our ports are often owned by the government or a governmental port authority, and you can't get on without authorization. No one can just walk around on the docks anymore.

That really didn't answer my question. Is OBX a fishing port or are there several fishing ports on OBX?

We can charter boats to sport fish there, and there are commercial fishing as well and several places to buy fish and oysters.

Here is something that I did understand:

but please understand that in the US it will not be possible to walk onto the docks and take a photo. Our ports are often owned by the government or a governmental port authority, and you can't get on without authorization. No one can just walk around on the docks anymore.

It will still be possible to take a photo of a US fishing port from a place that should be enough to create the waymark. We WMers are resourceful :) I got my necessary photos of the other ports. I'll get a useable photo of a fishing port too. :)

You know that I am French.

I live in the first fishing port of France, and I am proud to live there.

I'm not a fisherman, but I love to walk on the fish docks.

Of course both to small trawlers landing their fish daily.

There are also industrial trawlers, but this is not the same.

I want to share this passion.

A fishing port is not only a place or boats.

It is also a place of fisherman living a very difficult profession, or take risks. The water is not always their friend.

On this side of the Atlantic a fishing port is, more often than not, also a place of stories, most of them tragic, as attested by the seafarers' monuments to be found at nearly every port of any size. They remind us of the dangerous life a fisherman leads and of the ones who were claimed by the sea, leaving behind wives, children, siblings, friends and memories. In our view, these are an integral part of fishing ports everywhere.

In coastal areas, fishing ports are not only the lifeblood of each community, but are also the places which hold the history of that area. Regardless of what activity or industry may be of primary economic importance at present, the odds are that the community was initially established as a fishing port.

It is clear that you do love a fishing port, but please understand that in the US it will not be possible to walk onto the docks and take a photo. Our ports are often owned by the government or a governmental port authority, and you can't get on without authorization. No one can just walk around on the docks anymore.

We had to take photos of a couple of ports from highways as we drove by, because when we stopped at one to take photos of a historic disaster memorial, port police were on us in under 30 seconds and forbade us from taking ANY photos -- even of the memorial they built,, and a historic marker they sought from the state.

I'm a supporter and hope this category can be polished up and re-reviewed by the community, with a positive outcome this time. :)

To find more tourist amenable fishing ports git yerselves on up north to Maine and the Canadian Maritimes. There, the majority of fishing ports are villages and small towns with small fleets of deep sea trawlers. Many are also delivery points, while many are not, but one may stroll along the docks among the fishing vessels at the majority of them and buy fish, shellfish, crabs and lobsters, sometimes right off the boat, sometimes from the small packing houses.

Moreover, the majority are in communities 150 to 400 years old - each one just dripping with history.

I've been digging through old vacation photos and found a bunch of the Shrimp Boat Pier in Morgan City LA on the Atchafalaya River. Like the boats at the Corpus T-heads, shrimpers come here to offload their catch to local restaurants and locals who wait pier side or who got a cellphone call from the boat that they're headed into town. A local restaurateur told us about this -- sometimes it helps to be a local!

In Galveston, the largest commercial fishing port in Texas by volume, most commercial fishermen are based around Pier 19. I have eaten at Hill's Pier 19 seafood -- YUM

I have lots of pix from Rockport Texas, another place where a large shrimp boat fleet operates.

Most cities around the Texas Gulf Coast and Galveston Bay have commercial fishing piers at their ports (large and small): Texas City, Kemah, Bay City, Port Arthur, Dickinson, Port Isabel, Brownsville, Palacios, Port Aransas, Port Lavaca, etc etc etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing what gets definitively nailed down about the criteria for what is a fishing port and what will be required to waymark one.

I know it is difficult because each country to its own regulations.

So new question? What to do for this category may please the greatest number of you?

Help me

I would like to see (in no particular order)

* a space between paragraphs on the category description to make it more readable.

* a variable for what kind of fishing the port does mainly (fin fish, shellfish, crustaceans, oysters, or both fin fish and shellfish in season)

* is the fishery seasonal or year round

* a variable for whether a cannery or processor is located at the port, locally in the area, or at a larger port some distance away

* a variable about the age of the fishing port and if fishing is still done there

* a variable about when commercial fishing was done there, (if a historic fishing port) and why and when it stopped

* are there any maritime memorials or fishermen's memorials nearby? If so, post cross-listed waymark here

* any historic markers about fishing nearby? If yes, a link to historic marker or info

* a requirement to post a link to local information about the port or cannery

* a requirement to post some history of the port, including a statement of whether the port had seen a well-known incident or major disaster, and if so, a brief explanation of it (could be natural or could be man made) that affected fishing

*coordinates that can be taken a publicly-accessible place associated with the fishing port, such as: dockside, at the cannery, at the entrance to the port, or at the nearby public fish market that specializes in fresh fish "right off the boat" -- with a link to the market or place where coordinates were taken

* if a historic fishing port is being waymarked (no current commercial fishing) the coordinates could be taken at a seafarer's memorial or other proof of the oort's former involvement in commercial fishing

* a requirement for some historical or interesting information about the fishing industry at the port, yearly tonnage of fish, approximate number of boats, are they deep-sea trawlers or small shrimp boats, crab boats, etc.

* maybe a variable about what method is must commonly used by the fishermen at the port, nets, pots, etc (not really familiar with commercial fishing methods)

* is aquaculture (open-sea fishing pens) part of the fishery?

* a variable about can the public buy fish directly from the fishermen? If yes, then where should be answered.

That's all I can think of right now. :)

Thoughts to improve or sharpen this list? :)

I know it is difficult because each country to its own regulations.

So new question? What to do for this category may please the greatest number of you?

Help me

I would like to see (in no particular order)

* a space between paragraphs on the category description to make it more readable.

* a variable for what kind of fishing the port does mainly (fin fish, shellfish, crustaceans, oysters, or both fin fish and shellfish in season)

* is the fishery seasonal or year round

* a variable for whether a cannery or processor is located at the port, locally in the area, or at a larger port some distance away

* a variable about the age of the fishing port and if fishing is still done there

* a variable about when commercial fishing was done there, (if a historic fishing port) and why and when it stopped

* are there any maritime memorials or fishermen's memorials nearby? If so, post cross-listed waymark here

* any historic markers about fishing nearby? If yes, a link to historic marker or info

* a requirement to post a link to local information about the port or cannery

* a requirement to post some history of the port, including a statement of whether the port had seen a well-known incident or major disaster, and if so, a brief explanation of it (could be natural or could be man made) that affected fishing

*coordinates that can be taken a publicly-accessible place associated with the fishing port, such as: dockside, at the cannery, at the entrance to the port, or at the nearby public fish market that specializes in fresh fish "right off the boat" -- with a link to the market or place where coordinates were taken

* if a historic fishing port is being waymarked (no current commercial fishing) the coordinates could be taken at a seafarer's memorial or other proof of the oort's former involvement in commercial fishing

* a requirement for some historical or interesting information about the fishing industry at the port, yearly tonnage of fish, approximate number of boats, are they deep-sea trawlers or small shrimp boats, crab boats, etc.

* maybe a variable about what method is must commonly used by the fishermen at the port, nets, pots, etc (not really familiar with commercial fishing methods)

* is aquaculture (open-sea fishing pens) part of the fishery?

* a variable about can the public buy fish directly from the fishermen? If yes, then where should be answered.

That's all I can think of right now. :)

Thoughts to improve or sharpen this list? :)

Great list! This is a real improvement, there is no item on the list I disagree with. Just a side note: I am personally not a great friend of too many variables, especially not of mandatory ones, when the information may not be available at all, in some cases. A few are fine, though, but the less fundamental ones can be asked for to include in the long description.

Edited by fi67

Great list! Good to see! I agree with fi67 on the potential non-availability of information. These should become optional.

"* a variable for what kind of fishing the port does mainly (fin fish, shellfish, crustaceans, oysters, or both fin fish and shellfish in season)"

Oysters can be included in shellfish.

"* a variable about the age of the fishing port and if fishing is still done there

* if a historic fishing port is being waymarked (no current commercial fishing) the coordinates could be taken at a seafarer's memorial or other proof of the oort's former involvement in commercial fishing"

These presuppose that the category creator wishes to include historic (as in defunct) fishing ports. Has this been discussed and I just missed it? BTW, we are in favour of this.

"* a requirement to post a link to local information about the port or cannery"

Again, this should be optional - many small ports will have precious little info available, online or off.

"* maybe a variable about what method is must commonly used by the fishermen at the port, nets, pots, etc (not really familiar with commercial fishing methods)"

This is pretty much defined by the type of catch. Generally, each species will be sought after using the single most efficient and cost effective method available.

"* is aquaculture (open-sea fishing pens) part of the fishery? "

Good point, one not yet addressed. Gut reaction here would be no.

So, pmaupin, incorporate Benchmark Blasterz's input and you'll be a whole lot closer to the end.

Hello

I come to you with new project

What do you think.

What should we improve.

Thank you for your advice

Description:

From time immemorial, man has had to seek food. He started catching fish by hand.

Over time, he perfected his approach. He brought together groups of fishermen with boats, based in fishing ports.

Expanded Description:

- A port is a location to accommodate boats and ships.

- A port is usually on the seaboard, on the banks of a lake or along an important river. Fishing ports are the most common ports in the world.

Often, fishing ports are small in size.

- For this to be a fishing port, there must be commercial fishing activity, not hobby fishing.

Fishing for crustaceans and shellfish can be included.

- The size of boats welcomed at the ports will vary.

Deep-sea trawlers leaving to fish for several weeks will require plenty of dock space when they return to unload their cargo.

Small fishing boats leaving only for the day can quickly unload their fish for sale.

- The objective of this category is to identify the various fishing ports around the world that they are still active or historical.

- Passenger-ship ports or cargo-only ports do not qualify in this category.

Instructions for Posting a Commercial Fishing Ports Waymark:

TITLE REQUIREMENT

The word "port" must be in the title

PICTURES

Required: Upload at least one photo showing fishing boats and/or the fishing port taken from an accessible viewpoint.

LONG DESCRIPTION

In this category, we are seeking as much information as possible.

Include some history of the port, any incidents or major disasters that affected the fishing, eg. Tsunamis.

Provide interesting information about the fishing industry at the port, yearly tonnage of fish, approximate number of boats, are they deep-sea trawlers or small shrimp boats, crab boats, etc.

LANGUAGE NOTE

We encourage bilingual and multilingual waymarks, but one of the languages must be English (as lingua franca).

Put the coordinates of the easiest place to see the realization.

Coordinates must be taken at a publicly-accessible place associated with the fishing port, such as: dockside, at the cannery, at the entrance to the port, or at the nearby public fish market that specializes in fresh fish "right off the boat"

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

Proof of your visit is required. Post a photo of your visit, showing the port area and fishing boats. Describe your visit.

Variables to be optional:

- What types of fishing the port does mainly (fin fish, shellfish, crustaceans, oysters, or both fin fish and shellfish in season)?

- What methods are most commonly used by the fishermen at the port, nets, pots, set lines, etc?

- Is the fishery seasonal or year round?

- Is there a cannery or processor located at the port, or locally in the area?

- are there any maritime memorials or fishermen's memorials nearby? If so, post cross-listed waymark here

- Can the public buy fish directly from the fishing boats?

- Is there a fish market located at this fishing port?

- Is this a historic fishing port? Is it still a working fishing port?

- Passenger-ship ports or cargo-only ports do not qualify in this category.

Thank you for your advice

Edited by pmaupin

It's looking useable, just a few typos and one incongruity:

* The objective of this category is to identify the various fishing ports around the world that are still active.

The above obviates the necessity of the variable below:

* Is this a historic fishing port? Is it still a working fishing port?

Replace asterisks with bullets.

* What methods are [most] commonly used by the...

Coordinates must be taken [at] a publicly-accessible place associated...

That's about all I see that should be tweaked. Some of the wording is not what I would have used, but it's sufficiently clear as to not require messing with.

I'd send it off, start a new thread advising the community that it's in peer review and hope for the best.

Good Luck!!

Edited by BK-Hunters

I don't think the title requirement for the word PORT is necessary -- if we are Waymarking a fishing port, then that will be in the title naturally. You could make the requirement to name the body of water, town/city, state/province, country, like this:

Pier 21, Port of Galveston -- Gulf of Mexico, Galveston TX USA

Port of Newport -- Pacific Ocean, Newport OR USA

I also ask for spaces between each paragraph or list of bullet points. Help us old folks with bifocals out! :)

I'm not sure what this means : "Put the coordinates of the easiest place to see the realization." Maybe a better phrase is, "Take your coordinates at an area that is easily accessible to the public or that gives a good view of the fishing activities at the port."

I would change the photo requirement to TWO photos: One of a sign with the name of the port, and one of the fishing boats/activity. In the case of Galveston, it could be a photo of the Pier 21 (the fishing pier) seafood market and the fishing boats.

That's all I have for the moment. Looking better and better :)

I'm a bit confused as to what constitutes a port.

Here in Western Australia there are many small fishing communities that have less than six crayboats, some only have a small jetty for unloading and refuelling while others unload straight on to the beach,the crayfish are kept in coolrooms and transported to the processing plant by truck, are these places to be included???

WA 6725

"The Port of Broome is the largest deep-water access port servicing the Kimberley region and is open to shipping on a 24 hours basis seven days a week. The port supports livestock export, offshore oil and gas operations, pearling, fishing, charter boats, cruise liners and is the main fuel and container receival point for the region."

Perhaps there is a fishing port nearby.

In Perth, is there a likely candidate in Fishing Boat Harbour?

http://fremantlefishingboatharbour.com/attractions/

Edited by elyob

WA 6725

"The Port of Broome is the largest deep-water access port servicing the Kimberley region and is open to shipping on a 24 hours basis seven days a week. The port supports livestock export, offshore oil and gas operations, pearling, fishing, charter boats, cruise liners and is the main fuel and container receival point for the region."

W.A has 12,889 km of coastline but only fishing boat harbours (ports) at Fremantle,Dongara and Geraldton , but what about the other townships who depend on fishing for the main income that have no port or harbour only a jetty with the fishing boats being anchored off the beach.

HOORAY and CONGRATULATIONS to the COs of Fishing Ports on the category approval!

Be sure to make a proper icon, since your category will be assigned a default icon that may not suit. Remember Darth Vader for TinTin, anybody? Lol

I don't know if I have the right pictures already in hand to make a Fishing Ports waymark, but you can bet I'm going to be looking!!

:)

WA 6725

W.A has 12,889 km of coastline but only fishing boat harbours (ports) at Fremantle,Dongara and Geraldton , but what about the other townships who depend on fishing for the main income that have no port or harbour only a jetty with the fishing boats being anchored off the beach.

I think that's the exact same situation as Rockport or Palacios TX -- small cities with fishing fleets who unload their catch in other cities or states. I think as long as you can document the commercial fishing activity with newspaper articles, historical plaques, or SOMETHING showing that there is a commercial fishery operating there, your little W.A. fishing-dependent towns should be able to be waymarked, especially if there is a place to sell the catch locally.

With this one being published (Waymark Code: WMT596), you might try to post something similar.