How to Update Mystery Coordinates on Map?

GeoKat28

Unless I'm mistaken (which is entirely possible) :rolleyes: do I remember correctly that you could change bogus mystery cache coordinates (which reflect placement incorrectly on the maps) to the correct ones (in order to see correct placement on the maps).

Was this a feature? Can it still be done (and if so, how?)?

Thanks for the help; much appreciated!

You can edit the coordinates of mystery/puzzle caches (and multi-caches):

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=807

However, the edited coordinates don't generally show on the maps except when you're viewing just that one cache.

To view edited coordinates on the map, I usually just use my API partner app:

https://www.geocaching.com/mobile/partners/

But you can also create a PQ to display the mystery/puzzle caches (e.g., a PQ using a "solved puzzles" bookmark list), and then preview the PQ on the map. That will display the edited coordinates of the mystery/puzzle (and multi-caches) in the PQ.

However, the edited coordinates don't generally show on the maps except when you're viewing just that one cache.

But you can also create a PQ to display the mystery/puzzle caches (e.g., a PQ using a "solved puzzles" bookmark list), and then preview the PQ on the map. That will display the edited coordinates of the mystery/puzzle (and multi-caches) in the PQ.

Thanks for your prompt response. After review of the forum and many threads, I'm guessing I must have had some sort of add-on enabled at the time. I know I could view the maps with the mystery icon moved from the bogus location to the correct one. Oh well ... I guess it's time for this dog cat to learn some new tricks! :lol:

There's also at least one smartphone app I know of that, once you refresh the cache info, will place the marker at the corrected coordinates and show a placeholder icon at the posted coordinates.
Actually, every smartphone app I've used (except for Groundspeak's app) has shown caches with edited coordinates at the edited coordinates. Neongeo even supported edited coordinates before the geocaching.com web site did, by using the Personal Cache Note field for edited coordinates.

I have no idea why Groundspeak's app still doesn't support basic features like this.

There's also at least one smartphone app I know of that, once you refresh the cache info, will place the marker at the corrected coordinates and show a placeholder icon at the posted coordinates.
Actually, every smartphone app I've used (except for Groundspeak's app) has shown caches with edited coordinates at the edited coordinates. Neongeo even supported edited coordinates before the geocaching.com web site did, by using the Personal Cache Note field for edited coordinates.

I have no idea why Groundspeak's app still doesn't support basic features like this.

Groundspeak's app does show you the corrected location on the map AFTER you select the cache and say "Start", or "Go" or whatever it is, as long as the corrected coords are entered on the website under your account or entered through the app.

When you open an 'uncorrected' Mystery cache in the app, you're asked if you want to enter the solution, and if you do it updates your account (so you see the solution on the webpage) and takes you to the new coords.

Even if you don't enter them that way, you can just put them in as an additional waypoint. Then, you can select a set and it'll navigate that to THOSE, but you won't see it on the web.

What it DOESN'T do is show you the corrected locations on the search map. That would involve checking your database records for every Mystery cache it displays. Once you've picked one, OK, but before that, while it may be a pain, I think it's actually in keeping with the CO's design that you conceptually start at the posted coordinates.

That's the same logic that prevents solved locations from displaying on the main web search. If you display a map from the cache page or a PQ, then you're honing in on it, and it's OK, but just a general search? No.

What it DOESN'T do is show you the corrected locations on the search map. That would involve checking your database records for every Mystery cache it displays.
Every smartphone app I've used (except for Groundspeak's app) does it this way. They simply use the edited coordinates everywhere: when navigating to the cache, when viewing the map, when viewing a list of nearby caches, everywhere.

This deficiency of Groundspeak's app is especially notable when you're checking for nearby caches, so you can pick one to go find. One puzzle cache may have bogus coordinates right next to me, and another may have bogus coordinates a mile or two away, but I really don't care. I want to know which final location is nearby.

Once you've picked one, OK, but before that, while it may be a pain, I think it's actually in keeping with the CO's design that you conceptually start at the posted coordinates.
If you say so. Most of the puzzle caches I've found have started with a disclaimer something like this:

"The cache is not at the posted coordinates, but is within a 2-mile radius. Solve the puzzle to get the true coordinates."

There is no reason whatsoever to go to the posted coordinates for these caches. And if there is a reason to go to the posted coordinates, then I won't have entered edited coordinates that take me somewhere else.

What it DOESN'T do is show you the corrected locations on the search map. That would involve checking your database records for every Mystery cache it displays.
Every smartphone app I've used (except for Groundspeak's app) does it this way. They simply use the edited coordinates everywhere: when navigating to the cache, when viewing the map, when viewing a list of nearby caches, everywhere.

This deficiency of Groundspeak's app is especially notable when you're checking for nearby caches, so you can pick one to go find. One puzzle cache may have bogus coordinates right next to me, and another may have bogus coordinates a mile or two away, but I really don't care. I want to know which final location is nearby.

Once you've picked one, OK, but before that, while it may be a pain, I think it's actually in keeping with the CO's design that you conceptually start at the posted coordinates.
If you say so. Most of the puzzle caches I've found have started with a disclaimer something like this:

"The cache is not at the posted coordinates, but is within a 2-mile radius. Solve the puzzle to get the true coordinates."

There is no reason whatsoever to go to the posted coordinates for these caches. And if there is a reason to go to the posted coordinates, then I won't have entered edited coordinates that take me somewhere else.

I agree with what you're saying, but I'm NOT saying that you should actually go to the posted coordinates - I'm saying that the CO wanted you to conceptually start there.

So yes, it's inconvenient. When you're in the field, you probably should see the final. (Actually, I'd like to see both, with the posted maybe appearing differently!)

I don't know about other apps; haven't used any. But if I had to put a reason on it (assuming it was a decision), I'd bet that's it.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

I agree with what you're saying, but I'm NOT saying that you should actually go to the posted coordinates - I'm saying that the CO wanted you to conceptually start there.

So yes, it's inconvenient. When you're in the field, you probably should see the final. (Actually, I'd like to see both, with the posted maybe appearing differently!)

I don't know about other apps; haven't used any. But if I had to put a reason on it (assuming it was a decision), I'd bet that's it.

I see no reason to display the cache coordinates when corrected coordinates are provided. The original coords are irrelevant and provide no value. It's a mistake/poor user experience on the GC.com app that it doesn't handle this right. It's the specific reason I looked at 3rd party apps and I'm extremely happy with Cachly. I solved a 40+ cache geoart series and the GC app shows the "art" vs where they really are. I'm not clicking on each of the 40 caches to determine which is the one to go after next from where I currently am.

Thanks for your prompt response. After review of the forum and many threads, I'm guessing I must have had some sort of add-on enabled at the time. I know I could view the maps with the mystery icon moved from the bogus location to the correct one. Oh well ... I guess it's time for this dog cat to learn some new tricks! :lol:

On the geocaching.com website, there actually is a way to see the question mark icons at the corrected coordinates. The difference is how you're getting to the map:

Play -> Find a Geocache -> Enter city/area/etc -> Search -> Map These Results -- Mystery question marks appear at the 'corrected' coords.

Play -> View Geocache Map -- Mystery question marks appear at the original 'listed' coords.

Of course, this assumes that each cache listing has been updated with the solved coordinates.

On the geocaching.com website, there actually is a way to see the question mark icons at the corrected coordinates. The difference is how you're getting to the map:

Play -> Find a Geocache -> Enter city/area/etc -> Search -> Map These Results -- Mystery question marks appear at the 'corrected' coords.

Play -> View Geocache Map -- Mystery question marks appear at the original 'listed' coords.

Of course, this assumes that each cache listing has been updated with the solved coordinates.

Very nice! Thank you, noncentric! :)

http://support.Groun...=kb.page&id=807

https://www.geocachi...obile/partners/

By modifying the first method (using the "new" search) such that the "has corrected coordinates" filter is set, the only mystery caches on the map would be those that have been solved. Otherwise, the map would show mystery caches which have been solved and those which have not and there isn't any way to distinguish between the two because both use the same icon. What's really needed are new icons which indicate that the cache has corrected coordinates and then is only useful if one is diligent about setting corrected coordinates on every puzzle cache that has been solved. That would also work for multi-caches that have been partially completed if we could use corrected coordinates on multi caches (another requested feature).

By modifying the first method (using the "new" search) such that the "has corrected coordinates" filter is set, the only mystery caches on the map would be those that have been solved. Otherwise, the map would show mystery caches which have been solved and those which have not and there isn't any way to distinguish between the two because both use the same icon.

True. I was just trying to keep it simple. How to see mystery icons at the corrected coords vs the original coords.

That would also work for multi-caches that have been partially completed if we could use corrected coordinates on multi caches (another requested feature).

I have been able to update coords on multi-caches. Correcting coords is already available for multi-caches.