Getting the Word Out

FatBaldOldMan

I'm relatively new to caching, but I find that at my age, it's one of the neat things I can still do and keep active. Unfortunately, I don't know any of the local cachers, and I suspect that they've already found all of the surrounding caches (I do plan to begin hiding a few of my own though). I've recently returned to Maryland from Florida, so I decided to host a Fall Event next month (GC6R9DF) in hopes of meeting these locals and hopefully develop some friendships. What's the best way to get the word out to cachers in the local area?

I'm having the event at a local Denny's Restaurant just off I-95 starting at 11:00 am in hopes of even catching some hungry traveling cachers moving up or down the Interstate. I was excited to see 4 folks sign up immediately after the Event was published, but no one has expressed any interest since then. Any words of wisdom as to ideas on spreading the word better?

I do plan to have some trackables to trade or simply pass on, and I thought of giving out a prize or two to maybe the first to arrive or the cacher who shows up who has the fewest finds. Any other ideas?

I'm having the event at a local Denny's Restaurant just off I-95 starting at 11:00 am in hopes of even catching some hungry traveling cachers moving up or down the Interstate. I was excited to see 4 folks sign up immediately after the Event was published, but no one has expressed any interest since then. Any words of wisdom as to ideas on spreading the word better?

Well, first of all, 5 people at an event sounds fine. There's no reason to want it to be bigger than it is.

Second, not everyone can see a month into the future. It's actually pretty impressive that 5 people promised to attend right away. I've never paid much attention, but I assume it's typical to get a few Will Attends right away, and then see a lag before more Will Attends are filed as the date approaches.

And finally, not everyone files a Will Attend.

In short, I don't think you need to get the word out. Get some experience with events before your start worrying about advertising for a bigger crowd.

Here, it seems more folks socialize when at a park, trailhead, etc., outdoors.

Coffee and bagels/donuts at a park pavilion for a breakfast event (before everyone takes off caching) works for us. :)

The ones indoors here are often the same folks who'd meet up each month anyway, and it becomes a "might as well have an event" kinda thing.

Tough interacting with others if you're not in a separate area from the general public.

One, folks complained that we were loud, and blocking the aisleways for them and waitresses, and they were right.

Now, unless we're taking up a section, or in a separate area entirely, we don't go to those kind.