Visiting other caches while holding travel bug

ceranes

My wife and I just found our first travel bug while on a trip to Tennessee. We visited a couple more caches there, some in Kentucky, Ohio, all on a return trip to Michigan.

I properly logged the bug once I retrieved it from the Travel Bug hotel. Once I got home, I discovered that most people are taking it from cache to cache, and logging that the bug visited each location. I've already logged the caches that I found since retrieving the bug. How do I go back and log the visits the bug made with us? Thanks.

My wife and I just found our first travel bug while on a trip to Tennessee. We visited a couple more caches there, some in Kentucky, Ohio, all on a return trip to Michigan.

I properly logged the bug once I retrieved it from the Travel Bug hotel. Once I got home, I discovered that most people are taking it from cache to cache, and logging that the bug visited each location. I've already logged the caches that I found since retrieving the bug. How do I go back and log the visits the bug made with us? Thanks.

To do so, edit the cache logs, and at the bottom of the log screen, select "Visited" at the drop-down menu for the TB.

Is there a goal on the TB's page specifically to accrue visit logs on as many caches as possible? If not, I'd suggest (at most) just picking a few choice caches and log those. It's very popular to take a TB and log Visits forevermore (or until leaving the hobby, whichever comes first :ph34r:), posting no story, no photo, no evidence that the TB even exists. I'm one of the few that still tries to talk people out of doing that.

Edited by kunarion
Once I got home, I discovered that most people are taking it from cache to cache, and logging that the bug visited each location. I've already logged the caches that I found since retrieving the bug. How do I go back and log the visits the bug made with us?

You don't need to, and I don't believe it's "most people". :)

Some odd reason, after it was made easier for the folks who drop and retrieve from every cache "visited" before finding a cache that fit/was liked, it took off, with many holding other's property hostage for months at a time.

Here it's parents mostly, who realize later a kid may want their own account, and it's simply easier to keep track which caches they did, using their own trackable.

Most of the time, travel bugs or coins are 'dipped' for one of two reasons, though there are others:

Some use one particular bug/coin as a continuous track of their geocaching journeys. The bug/coin serves as a mappable proxy of their journeys. The gc.com site will build a *.kml file of the known locations for any bug/coin that can be viewed in Google Earth.

Some bugs/coins have missions to 'visit' certain sites or other caches, and will also be 'dipped' for that reason.