Waypoint averaging

Grandmagogo

I have placed several geocaches and had someone update the coordinates on almost all of them. I use a Garmin 450t and was told to push the satellite bars to get my coords. This did not work well. An experienced cacher told me to use Waypoint Averaging. Is someone able to give me a step by step guide how to do this please? Thank you.

Lori aka Grandmagogo

If you don't trust your coordinates, then test them.

Enter your coordinates into your device, and then approach the cache location from at least 100ft/30m away. The arrow should point right at the cache location as you approach. Repeat the process, approaching the cache location from various directions, from at least 100ft/30m away each time. No matter which direction you approach from, the arrow should point right at the cache location.

If it doesn't, then adjust your coordinates until it does.

Bonus points for repeating the test on another day when the GPS satellites are in a different configuration.

Also, the Help Center article How to Get Accurate Coordinates should prove useful.

If you don't trust your coordinates, then test them.

Enter your coordinates into your device, and then approach the cache location from at least 100ft/30m away. The arrow should point right at the cache location as you approach. Repeat the process, approaching the cache location from various directions, from at least 100ft/30m away each time. No matter which direction you approach from, the arrow should point right at the cache location.

If it doesn't, then adjust your coordinates until it does.

Bonus points for repeating the test on another day when the GPS satellites are in a different configuration.

Also, the Help Center article How to Get Accurate Coordinates should prove useful.

fantastic advice for fantastic waypoints!

I have placed several geocaches and had someone update the coordinates on almost all of them. I use a Garmin 450t and was told to push the satellite bars to get my coords. This did not work well. An experienced cacher told me to use Waypoint Averaging. Is someone able to give me a step by step guide how to do this please? Thank you.

Lori aka Grandmagogo

As mentioned, if you return to the spot several times, you'll get an idea about how close your coordinates are, and the Help Center has a simple plan. Take your time, and watch how the distance changes. I often save several waypoints at the desired cache location, and next time I visit, I save more, and check which ones are closest. Cachers are impressed by my accurate coords, and I never bother with "averaging", except if I'm trying to find a cache and the GPSr just won't settle down. And even then, I just do a very basic version of "averaging".

"Waypoint Averaging" is an advanced technique which requires hundreds of snapshots over months or seasons, in all conditions. It's way more than what you really need to have a reasonable waypoint for Geocaching. And even that is not a way to get accurate coords. That's a whole other level of complicated. :anibad:

If you would really enjoy wading into the tall grass about waypoint averaging, there's much info online, and it links to even more reading.

Edited by kunarion