adding paper to cache

s7eph

being new to this i dont want to upset anybody but i have found a couple of caches with full log books, so now in my caching bag i have a couple of strips of paper that i add to cache if log if full. Is this acceptable? I did notice once one that the following finder had added note to say thank you. I do mention that i added when i log my find so if owner checks he/she can see.

being new to this i dont want to upset anybody but i have found a couple of caches with full log books, so now in my caching bag i have a couple of strips of paper that i add to cache if log if full. Is this acceptable? I did notice once one that the following finder had added note to say thank you. I do mention that i added when i log my find so if owner checks he/she can see.

I think most people would find adding paper to supplement a full log is just fine. It's best if you can add paper rather than remove an old log and replace it with a new log, since the owner might want to check the old log to verify that the online "Found it" logs correctly match up with a corresponding signature on the physical log (or simply like to hang on to old logs).

Sometimes, however, there isn't enough room in many micro containers to add a new log without removing the old one. When I do that, I always send a note to the cache owner asking if they want me to mail them the old log or attach an email photo of the old log (assuming the old log isn't an utter, soggy mess). So far, no one has asked for the old log.

A few geocachers might object to adding a new log on the basis that such maintenance chores are best left to the cache owners, and if the owners aren't willing to do so in a timely fashion, then their caches should be archived. Thus, adding a new log is just enabling bad ownership. But I think this group is a rather small minority.

Just a couple, and already see the difference. :D

Similar to Bear and Ragged I guess, it's rare for me to go to caches that have issues in the first place, but when accompanying others, sometimes they want to hit them (that numbers thing).

If we noticed that there's a pile of "log full" notes, or NMs, I won't log at all, but those I'm with may "add a piece of paper" just so they have that smiley. :)

When I hit a cache of a responsive, active Owner, and I happen to be the last, or next to last person to log, or the log's full with no notice or NMs from others, I'll add a Rite in Rain strip log, which affords the CO a bit of time 'til they can get around to maintenance on their own.

Scanning if the CO acts on logs will help me decide whether to simply mention it in my found it, or leave a NM.

edited for spllellinng.

Edited by cerberus1

Yeah, that's fine. Like any action, it's not entirely black and white, and there are times that it's not as helpful as you think, and even times where the CO or someone else won't appreciate it at all, but as long as you're prepared to apologize in those somewhat rare cases, you should be OK.

In any case, if there are issues with the logbook (missing, wet mess, full, ...), write a Needs Maintenance. Even if you added a new log paper. Thank you.
That's a good point. If the log is wet because the container is cracked, broken, or leaking, then adding another log sheet (even using weatherproof/waterproof paper) doesn't fix the problem. It can help until the CO fixes the underlying problem, but you still need to log NM for the underlying problem. (And if there have already been NM logs with no response, then it's time for NA.)
In any case, if there are issues with the logbook (missing, wet mess, full, ...), write a Needs Maintenance. Even if you added a new log paper. Thank you.
That's a good point. If the log is wet because the container is cracked, broken, or leaking, then adding another log sheet (even using weatherproof/waterproof paper) doesn't fix the problem. It can help until the CO fixes the underlying problem, but you still need to log NM for the underlying problem. (And if there have already been NM logs with no response, then it's time for NA.)

I have a few extra little log sheets, each in ziplock bags, in case I feel the need to "sign the log" when it's otherwise not possible. This would be an unusual case, since I tend to review past online logs to avoid the caches that are "soaking wet". Adding a log sheet causes an unmaintained cache to remain gross.

I use ordinary inexpensive paper. "Waterproof paper" may not shred when wet, but the computer printed lines fade and bleed, and so do the signatures. Even if a sharpie was used, although those inks tend to last the longest.

since 2004 i have added a strip or two of log sheet to 1743 caches so far that have all sorts of issues, especially as it might take a hour or two for the owner to get out to the cache when i have the cache in my hand and five seconds is all it takes to add a log strip. jeff=bones1.

Sometimes it's more about claiming a find. Many finders have a personal ethos that causes them to leave a log if they can't sign the current log (full, wet, a moldy mush ball). (Sometimes not just a log but a whole container with a log.) Often times the harder options, NM or NA are more of a community service.