Garmin Montana 610 - Pocket Query Issue

peacockealot

Hey I have had a Gramin Montana 610 for about three months now and so far love it and havent had any issues. That was until today when I tried for the frist time to use the pocket query function to bulk download caches for a trip to Canada.

I created the query no problem and downloaded it and unzipped the GPX files and have put them into the GPX folder on the GPS unit. However when I eject the GPS from the PC and go to look at the geocaches loaded on the device none of the ones I downloaded in the PQ appear. But when I connect the GPS and launch the Garmin BaseCamp application it shows all the caches loaded on the GPS successfully.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this issue before and could possibly give me a hand? I dont like the idea of having to load around 300 caches manually onto the device.

Thanks Stephen

Hey I have had a Gramin Montana 610 for about three months now and so far love it and havent had any issues. That was until today when I tried for the frist time to use the pocket query function to bulk download caches for a trip to Canada.

I created the query no problem and downloaded it and unzipped the GPX files and have put them into the GPX folder on the GPS unit. However when I eject the GPS from the PC and go to look at the geocaches loaded on the device none of the ones I downloaded in the PQ appear. But when I connect the GPS and launch the Garmin BaseCamp application it shows all the caches loaded on the GPS successfully.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this issue before and could possibly give me a hand? I dont like the idea of having to load around 300 caches manually onto the device.

It's not an "issue", it's a feature :lol:

Scroll the map to where the caches are supposed to be and zoom in. You'll see the caches are there just fine. The newer (Or6xx... ) don't show caches beyond a certain distance from your current location.

You can search for them using "search near" or a name search.

I can't speak to the Montana line, but in other lines, that threshold is configurable. On one hand, "every cache in the state" is so messy it's not useful on a map, but if you're in one state four states away and just want to see if your PQ got loaded and don't need map fidelity, it can be handy.

It's likely a performance/usability tradeoff. Displaying eleventy zillion points on a map is slow and blurs the basemap, but that's what you're likely to be doing when loading a PQ for a trip for a travel destination.

I can't speak to the Montana line, but in other lines, that threshold is configurable. On one hand, "every cache in the state" is so messy it's not useful on a map, but if you're in one state four states away and just want to see if your PQ got loaded and don't need map fidelity, it can be handy.

I don't believe it's a map drawing issue. In my experience, if the caches are far away, the problem is that they won't show up in the list of caches, but they'll display on the map as long as you're zoomed in far enough (this part is configurable). AFAIK, the distance beyond which caches are considered "too far away" to show in the list is hard-coded.

I don't believe it's a map drawing issue. In my experience, if the caches are far away, the problem is that they won't show up in the list of caches, but they'll display on the map as long as you're zoomed in far enough (this part is configurable). AFAIK, the distance beyond which caches are considered "too far away" to show in the list is hard-coded.

Correct.