Garmin GPSmap 60Cx

I have had the Garmin GPSmap 60Cx for many years. It has served us well and has done everything that we have needed it to do.

Suddenly, a couple of months ago, it froze on the first screen - none of the buttons have any effect and the only way to switch it off wass to disconnect the batteries.

On the Garmin 'Help' forum, I was told to try to 'factory reset' . Unfortunately because when starting that process the 'Are you sure?' screen appears and, because all of the keys have frozen by that point, I cant answer, I can get no further. I went back to my Garmin Helper but was then told that they didnt support that series of GPS any more so , in so many words, tough luck.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and found a way around it?

Hello, the 60cx owners manual says this model has a micro SD card. Have you tried removing the card then switching on?

I would try removing the SD card, using a pair of batterys that are OK but not fully charged up. If you can now switch the unit on and off then there is a problem with files on the card. Don't put the card back in the unit, give me a shout.

Regards

Bernard

What might kickstart the unit is connecting it to a computer and updating the firmware. If no new FW is available yo might try putting the same FW version installation file on the unit (or an older version), disconnecting it from the computer and rebooting with good batteries.

I did this with an Oregon450 a few weeks ago that wouldn't boot anymore.

Thanks for the reply Maurice. However, I cant try that because the computer doesnt recognise that the Garmin is connected and, because the keys are ineffective I cant use the usual proceedure to achieve this.

Thanks for your reply Bernard. I have removed the card and will try to start up again just as soon as I have found the new batteries. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the reply Maurice. However, I cant try that because the computer doesnt recognise that the Garmin is connected and, because the keys are ineffective I cant use the usual proceedure to achieve this.

Thanks for your reply Bernard. I have removed the card and will try to start up again just as soon as I have found the new batteries. I will keep you posted.

Don't know if it will work but as the unit is a paperweight now anyway, maybe putting the firmware in SD card in a computer and after inserting it in the GPS and reboot might just work (don't know if firmware on SD will be recognized but it's worth a shot).

Has anyone else had a similar problem and found a way around it?

Mine sounds like yours although, mine only had a stroke and the left buttons no longer work. The right ones still do and it is an intermittent problem (bad enough that I can't use it as the only GPSr anymore). I'll try a factory reset although, I doubt that will fix it, I think it's a physical problem.

I did pick a nice used one online to replace it though. I do have an Oregon that is just a glorified PDA (and WIG runner), the 60 CSX is still the best of the best as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck.

The post from Bernard above has done the trick. I took out the memory card ( that I didnt know it had and certainly hadnt knowingly put anything on it), replaced the batteries and switched on. Bingo.

Now that I have access to it again, I am sure that I can download everything that I need back onto it.

I dont know if that will help your problem Odragon but it might be worth a try.

Thanks again Bernard. Theres a pint in it for you when we next get over your way or if you get down to Devon.

John

Weary Banker

The post from Bernard above has done the trick. I took out the memory card ( that I didnt know it had and certainly hadnt knowingly put anything on it), replaced the batteries and switched on. Bingo.

Now that I have access to it again, I am sure that I can download everything that I need back onto it.

I dont know if that will help your problem Odragon but it might be worth a try.

Thanks again Bernard. Theres a pint in it for you when we next get over your way or if you get down to Devon.

John

Weary Banker

It's been a long while since I had my 60Cx, but I recall having the PC not recognize it a few times. The solution was to uninstall the USB driver thru the control panel and hardware devices. Once done, try connecting it again to see if it properly installs the driver again. You may need to install the Garmin USB driver as well. I believe that can be done by installing the latest firmware here: v.4.00. If your unit has v.4.00 make it do a reinstall of the same version.

Well, they don't self-destruct beyond a certain age.

The last time I bought a GPS unit (correction: camera), as I recall the packaging said it included a 128MB card, basically a placeholder, or a marketing checkmark. But the unit actually contained a bigger card, 4GB I think, presumably because they couldn't source the smaller ones any more.

To the OP, a new card should work, or you could try formatting the old one if your computer has a card reader and you've got a micro-SD adapter. Or stick it in your camera; that might be able to format it.

If that works, I'd go out and buy a nice big card anyway (for next to nothing nowadays) and treat myself to some free maps off the internet. Like the OSM maps for Garmin from that .nl site. They're good, but they'll need a big card.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Just get a 4 GB card. They are only a few dollars. There is not much point to a larger card as these units only work easily with a single map file and those can't be larger than 4 GB. Make sure it is formatted for FAT32. Newer cards may be formatted to exFAT, which won't work.

I had already tried a 32GB card which I had spare but it didnt fit although it looked the same shape to a casual glance. I will see what I have sitting around unused in other gadgets but even if a trip to the local supermarket is required, it isnt going to cost a fortune is it.

Thanks for the comment about formatting, I could have missed that.

Watch this space.

Hi, I did warn you, if the trick of removing the SD card works then DO NOT reinsert that card. The reason being that you have inadvertently corrupted a file on that card. As far as I am aware the only file that can be retrieved or kept from that card is the map file gmapsupp.img which is in the Garmin folder on the card. Do not try to read the card from within the unit, put the card in a reader and delete all files except the gmapsupp.img file and the Garmin folder, any other folders can be kept as long as they are emptied of all files. With fingers crossed you should then be able to use that card again. If the card still fouls up the unit then there is a hidden corrupted file on it, best then to use a new card.

Regards

Bernard