Cache coordinates with 0011 0101 0101....

aboldham

I have seen it before but with needing to get a mystery cache for a souvenir this weekend, probably too late to ask :-/ ,

There is a cache with questions where you replace the letter of the question with the answer. the 'coordinates' are all 1s and 0s and while I know all the answers (1 for true and 0 for false) once they are in the 'coordinates' I get what looks like binary code which is not standard map coordinates.

I'm sure this has been asked and I'm sure it's simple, so pardon me for not knowing.

But once 0011A 010B 010C 001D, etc. becomes 0011 0101 0101 0011, etc. how does it become N35 whatever by W 086 whatever?

Cache in question is [removed by moderator]

Thanks for the help

Edited by Keystone

If it's binary code, try translating it to text. A Google search of binary to text converter should give you something.

It looks like binary but shouldn't be.

I need numbers for coordinates and binary to text gives me "5S`%(", which is gibberish.

There's just some simple thing I'm missing.

There's one question for each place in a coordinate, but I don't know what to do with the answers -or the ones and zeros I end up with.

It says true is one and false is zero but besides replacing the letter of the question with the one or zero, it doesn't say what to do with the coordinates.

If it's binary code, try translating it to text. A Google search of binary to text converter should give you something.

It looks like binary but shouldn't be.

I need numbers for coordinates and binary to text gives me "5S`%(", which is gibberish.

There's just some simple thing I'm missing.

There's one question for each place in a coordinate, but I don't know what to do with the answers -or the ones and zeros I end up with.

It says true is one and false is zero but besides replacing the letter of the question with the one or zero, it doesn't say what to do with the coordinates.

But once 0011A 010B 010C 001D, etc. becomes 0011 0101 0101 0011, etc. how does it become N35 whatever by W 086 whatever?

It IS Binary.

0011 = 3

0101 = 5

You just need to work out how it converts, and apply it to the other Binary numbers you have...

The standard answer is that solutions for puzzles are not to be posted in the public forum. Posting the GC code of a specific cache is considered "bad forum".

The next most common answer is that one should contact the cache owner for a hint. The CO is not obligated to provide one, but it's a more courteous approach than asking for help and getting hints about it in the public forum.

B.

The standard answer is that solutions for puzzles are not to be posted in the public forum. Posting the GC code of a specific cache is considered "bad forum".

The next most common answer is that one should contact the cache owner for a hint. The CO is not obligated to provide one, but it's a more courteous approach than asking for help and getting hints about it in the public forum.

B.

My bad. Not trying for poor form and the post was a general request with a specific example.

I see or know what it is but it will still take me a bit to figure out as I have to figure out what setting to use.

There are 8000 settings. Searching hasn't provided the list and converters need need the right setting. They either show gibberish or nothing at all.

I'll math it up or figure it out. Thanks for the help.

This post can be deleted in a bit when my response is read.

Thanks again and good day to all.

The Geocaching Toolbox may have something you can use:

http://www.geocachingtoolbox.com/

Maybe. But I didn't find it.

Pretty sure I opened every link on the page.

The "ASCII conversion" link takes you to a tool that can convert back and forth between any of several formats. The default is text (ASCII) to binary, but there are many other possibilities. And if one doesn't work, then it's easy to try another, and another, and another, until you find something that does work.

You normally post an excellent response to these types of questions.
Yeah, sorry about that. In this case, it seemed like the OP was looking for a tool for a specific cipher, rather than general puzzle help. But better late than never:

According to section 2-D of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] xxiii. Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner.” However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Calgary Puzzle Solving 101 (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Geocaching Toolbox ("All geocaching tools a geocacher needs in one box.")

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

LANAKI's Classical Cryptography Course

How to Puzzle Cache (book)

Thanks, niraD.

I didn't mean to step on any toes, or rules. It was just an inquiry to the specific type of cypher and out of the many options to decode into I had enough trouble finding the right one to come ask.

I felt it might get a quicker response here with about 150 members online at that time instead of bugging and potentially waking the owner.

I don't see an option on my end, can I request this thread be deleted? To help keep the servers clean -and to remove my a**-edness. lol