Oregon Geocoin

Nurse Dave

I sent an email yesterday to the folks above, but haven't gotten an answer. The two coins the sell now are for $5 + shipping. And you can go to their website to look at them.

The other option is the company that Moun10bike uses. http://www.switchbacks.com/files/Moun10Bike_Coins.jpg I just talked to them and the short version is the total cost would be $4.50 per coin for the first 100 and then $3.75 after because of the set-up fee. That is using the geocaching logo and colour on Moun10bike's coin and designing our own non-colour side. If we want them numbered like Moun10bike's it would cost another .50 per coin. I thought if we went this way we could skip the numbering because it couldn't be tracked through geocaching.com.

I was think of buying about 25 coins, so I need people to buy the other 75. Email me and I will contact those who are interested.

---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave:

The two coins the sell now are for $5

Ahhhh... that's the Texas coin RETAIL price. That is what they choose to sell them for. That IS NOT what the production/manufacturing cost is. Please compare apples and apples here. The prices you are quoting are production prices, not retail.

Also, our CA coins retail for $3.75. Again, that is our RETAIL price, not our production or manufacturing price.

All our coins are numbered. If your read the original geocoin thread in the Canadian forum, you will see that this was a must from everyone that contributed to the project. This has indeed turned out to be the most desirable feature.

Please note, geocachetreasure.com geocoins cannot be tracked and cost as much as $8.00 each.

Our Canadian, and our Texas collegues coins, are award quality, polished base metal. This means they are hand polished to a mirror finish. This is the same finish as freshly minted currency.

You get what you pay for.

At one time or another we have had one of each of those coins. As I type this I'm looking at the Moun10Bike coin and the geocachetreasure coin. (I couldn't find our Canadian Geocoin, we may have put it back into a cache)

They are both the same basic size. The Moun10Bike coin is about a hair larger. They seem to be about the same weight. My initial reaction to both coins is that the Moun10Bike coin is much more substantial. The casting is much deeper giving a much more solid look and feel to the coin. Plus the enamel colors on the logo side give it a much richer feel.

The geocachetreasure coin is more coin like, no color and the design is much flatter. It also is a bit rough around the edges. We got ours at 'The Search' when they were newly minted, they might get smoother after passing through a few hands. I like the compass rose design, but the green man is a bit weird. They have two designs right now and no mimimum qty to order. They have serial numbers but I didn't see any tracking link from their website.

Between the two I prefer the Moun10Bike coin. I wish I could find the Canadian Geocoin to compare that one as well. What I do remember is being real excited when we found it as it was our first Geocoin. It also had a nice solid feel to it from what I remember.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

I think the current coins out there are pretty cool. But, I don't want the game to turn into Geo-coin collecting. If every state/country/cacher had their own coin, it wouldn't be as exciting to find one, and it would get expensive to "collect the whole set."

I talked with another cacher a few months ago about putting together my own coin, but I got talked out of it. It's a cool item, but it's been done.

Sorry for putting in a no vote... Just my opinion... Don't flame me to death or anything icon_wink.gif

But I can say, if an Oregon coin get's made, I'll do what I can to get one... Just let it be known that no coin will top Moun10Bike's coin. His is simply the best.

-fractal

I think the current coins out there are pretty cool. But, I don't want the game to turn into Geo-coin collecting. If every state/country/cacher had their own coin, it wouldn't be as exciting to find one, and it would get expensive to "collect the whole set."

I talked with another cacher a few months ago about putting together my own coin, but I got talked out of it. It's a cool item, but it's been done.

Sorry for putting in a no vote... Just my opinion... Don't flame me to death or anything icon_wink.gif

But I can say, if an Oregon coin get's made, I'll do what I can to get one... Just let it be known that no coin will top Moun10Bike's coin. His is simply the best.

-fractal

Thenk you Wander Lost, that's the impression I got from looking at them on the web.

I really wanted a personal coin, but can afford the cost of buying 100 myself so I figure a state coin is a good alternative that other people could enjoy too.

---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.