How do you Define an EVIL?

ThistleMae

I'm new to geocaching and some friends showed me what they call EVIL cache containers. Wow! Blown away by the cleverness of them. So, my question is...Does a nano qualify as an EVIL, or are they only the ones that are disguised as every day objects, like chewing gum? I really enjoy finding these, as they add another layer of challenge to the game, and many of them require going back or asking for additional hints. What do folks think about these? And what do you consider an EVIL hide?

Around here, "EVIL" is generally used to describe caches which are difficult to find because of a cunning hide/camo. I.e. it's used in a kind of flattering way.

A nano can be easy, e.g if the hint is magnetic and it is on a sign post with nothing else magnetic nearby. You can disguise a nano as a pebble and put it in a pile of 1000 pebbles; that is something else; perhaps other 4 letter words could be used to describe it.

In other words, there are caches hard to find because of clever camo - these are "good EVIL".

Then there are needles in a haystack, I see these as bad EVIL.

I definitely don't want to make it an easy find, like putting it on a sign post. So, thinking on a building, that has many metal options. I've found one on a bridge, that was pretty difficult but not impossible. I recently found one on the back side of a magnet sign attached to an ice machine, that was interesting. It was very flat, so it wasn't suspect. I'm interested in more ideas.

I definitely don't want to make it an easy find, like putting it on a sign post. So, thinking on a building, that has many metal options. I've found one on a bridge, that was pretty difficult but not impossible. I recently found one on the back side of a magnet sign attached to an ice machine, that was interesting. It was very flat, so it wasn't suspect. I'm interested in more ideas.

I had a nano on a bridge. People kept dropping it into the water. :(

Around here, "EVIL" is generally used to describe caches which are difficult to find because of a cunning hide/camo. I.e. it's used in a kind of flattering way.

A nano can be easy, e.g if the hint is magnetic and it is on a sign post with nothing else magnetic nearby. You can disguise a nano as a pebble and put it in a pile of 1000 pebbles; that is something else; perhaps other 4 letter words could be used to describe it.

In other words, there are caches hard to find because of clever camo - these are "good EVIL".

Evil is when I say "Wow. Tough but very well done." I agree: 'evil' is complementary.

Needle in a haystack or a rock in a rock pile is just nasty.

You know, the one we found on the bridge....we were super careful so that wouldn't happen. But I can see how it very well could happen! I may skip the bridge. LOL.

Evil is when I say "Wow. Tough but very well done." I agree: 'evil' is complementary.

Yes, well done! I love those! Make it challenging but not impossible. Something to consider for sure.

Around here, I'm used to the distinction between "good evil" and "bad evil".

A "bad evil" hide is simply tedious, like a "needle in a haystack" hide. There isn't anything clever about it. And there isn't any thought required to find it, just the persistence to keep turning over stones (or whatever) until you find the one that hides the cache. At the end, when you have the cache in hand, your response is "Finally! I'm glad that's over."

A "good evil" hide is clever. Perhaps you've searched "everywhere it could possibly be" within 5 or 10 minutes, and then you have to figure out how/where the cache owner managed to hide the container. But it isn't a cache you're likely to find through persistence alone. You need to figure out what the cache owner did. At the end, when you have the cache in hand, your response is "Aha!"

Because a nano is small and magnetic it's fairly easy to create "bad" evil hide by placing it somewhere on a large metal object just as a tank, train car, bridge, or long metal fence. Finding it just becomes tedious simply because there are so many possible places where it might be hidden.

Because a nano is small and magnetic it can also be hidden in plain sight (especially if it's painted to match the hiding spot...e.g. clever camo).

I'm new to geocaching and some friends showed me what they call EVIL cache containers. Wow! Blown away by the cleverness of them. So, my question is...Does a nano qualify as an EVIL, or are they only the ones that are disguised as every day objects, like chewing gum? I really enjoy finding these, as they add another layer of challenge to the game, and many of them require going back or asking for additional hints. What do folks think about these? And what do you consider an EVIL hide?

I can count on both hands (Hey! I learned to count!) how many times I've gone back for a supposed "evil" cache. :)

For me, "evil" is something you're looking at, but for some reason, can't see it.

One in a magneted-together walnut shell was interesting...

Anyone can stick a nano on a large object to make it "tricky".

I don't feel that's "evil", and the ones we've seen like that, unpleasant would fit better.

Make a lot of those skinny little logs, and have spare containers.

Everyone I know who used to use those things spent a lot of time with maintenance.

I just had to retrieve one of mine that someone dropped. Not in the water thankfully, but it went under a part of the bridge where they couldn't reach it. Fortunately they messaged me right away telling me what happened and where it went, so I was able to bring a magnet on a long stick and get it back.

I just had to retrieve one of mine that someone dropped. Not in the water thankfully, but it went under a part of the bridge where they couldn't reach it. Fortunately they messaged me right away telling me what happened and where it went, so I was able to bring a magnet on a long stick and get it back.

Now that is being considerate. I am grateful for thoughtful geocachers!

I like the idea of hiding it in plain sight with clever cammo. I have so much to think about. My nano's are coming on Monday and I've already scoped out my starting place. I want to do a multicache with the nano's and nice, fat juicy cache at the end with lots of swag. All ideas are welcome!

PET Preforms are what most plastic bottles are created from. Google PET Preform. The post had a smiley..

One example of a clever nano hide I liked. The black nano was glued to a black bicycle lock. The bicycle lock was locked to a bike rack in a very public place. As the bike lock looks like it belongs there (it is not uncommon to see a bike lock on a bike rack with no bike attached), most (myself included) overlook it. If one examines the bike lock, the nano is easy to see.

Yes, well done! I love those! Make it challenging but not impossible. Something to consider for sure.

According to New Hampshire Code of State Regulations, chapter 49, section 7, paragraph 2..

The state of New Hampshire hereby declares all nano and similar sized geocache containers as prohibited within its borders. Jurisdictional boundaries include all Federal, State, Municipal, and all private properties. Failure to obey New Hampshire's no-nano regulation is punishable as a criminal offense under New Hampshire Code of State Regulations, chapter 49, section 7, paragraph 4. :ph34r:

I love those! Make it challenging but not impossible. Something to consider for sure.

For hiding a cache, my goal is not to make it "challenging" for Geocachers. The plan is make it as invisible as possible to non-Geocachers, because some caches are hidden where other COs could not keep a cache. The result of this plan is, the cache may be harder for a cacher to find (depending on the cache description and hints), but it doesn't seem to affect veteran locals who've seen everything. I don't know if I'd ever find some of my cache hides if I didn't know where they are already. But many cachers walk right up and log about how super easy it is. :o

Also, if hiding a well camouflaged container, remember that you as a CO may have to find it sometime when it's out of place. One of mine kind of vanishes once it lands in the leaves on the ground.

If it's a nano, it will require a lot more maintenance than a larger container. It will corrode, the o-ring breaks frequently, and the log sheets get full of signatures and soaking wet. And, yeah, people lose that teeny cap. :anicute:

I placed a little series of "nano" centrifuge tube caches, plastic with threaded o-ring caps. Pretty cool. But making people dig out a super small log sheet didn't suit me. So I tried a larger tube, and eventually settled on match tubes. Now most of my Micros are either that or a rather roomy 50ml centrifuge tube with a screw-on cap. The only genuine "blinkie" metal nano I own has no cap, because I used that cap to replace the one that had disappeared at a friend's cache. My nano cost about $6, not including shipping. I still have ammo boxes to place, that cost only a couple of bucks more.

Edited by kunarion

A "bad evil" hide is simply tedious, like a "needle in a haystack" hide. There isn't anything clever about it. And there isn't any thought required to find it, just the persistence to keep turning over stones (or whatever) until you find the one that hides the cache. At the end, when you have the cache in hand, your response is "Finally! I'm glad that's over."

A "good evil" hide is clever. Perhaps you've searched "everywhere it could possibly be" within 5 or 10 minutes, and then you have to figure out how/where the cache owner managed to hide the container. But it isn't a cache you're likely to find through persistence alone. You need to figure out what the cache owner did. At the end, when you have the cache in hand, your response is "Aha!"

You are talking about WOW caches?

You are talking about WOW caches?
Not specifically, although there are a couple of his Assume Nothing caches that definitely fall into the "good evil" category. But there are others. Some of catomcat's Somewhere caches. And The Petoskey Stones have at least one. And Shroomie has developed a reputation. And so on.

We found a great one this weekend. Searched and searched. So we read the hint (always wait till we are about to give up to read the hint). Well then we started to look with our geocaching eyes...my goodness it was right there in plain sight the whole time. I must have walked by it 20 times and didn't see it and it was fluorescent orange! It was a great hide!

We found a great one this weekend. Searched and searched. So we read the hint (always wait till we are about to give up to read the hint). Well then we started to look with our geocaching eyes...my goodness it was right there in plain sight the whole time. I must have walked by it 20 times and didn't see it and it was fluorescent orange! It was a great hide!
Yeah, those are so much fun, aren't they?
Yeah, those are so much fun, aren't they?

I live for these! LOL!