Night Caching

jonnycouk

I read in people's comments they do "night caching". Sorry for the impending stupid questions but they're coming...

Is night caching literally done during the night and if so, has anyone every been questioned by land owners or the police? I got questioned by the police mid-day when looking for a cache in bushes in a dried up stream. I had to explain the game!

I just imagine caching at night by torch light would look very suspicious.

I read in people's comments they do "night caching". Sorry for the impending stupid questions but they're coming...

Is night caching literally done during the night and if so, has anyone every been questioned by land owners or the police? I got questioned by the police mid-day when looking for a cache in bushes in a dried up stream. I had to explain the game!

I just imagine caching at night by torch light would look very suspicious.

Yes, done at night.

These need to be set up in locations with permission, or where one would be expected to be at night.

There were a couple in a local state management/campground area, where you were allowed to be out at night. I placed one in the same area, on the lake, where you are allowed to be kayaking/canoeing at night.

There are some subtleties to your question.

Firstly, in our area daylight is limited in the winter so even though you may not call it "night", caching after supper is indeed done in the dark often requiring assistance from portable light products. It comes with its own problems as terrain issues easily observed during the day cause problems or short off the trail bushwhacks can be difficult just searching for traditional caches.

Secondly, as mentioned there are caches specifically designed to be done in the dark, traditionally night caching uses reflective trail markers to lead you to a cache. From the start point, you scan the area to find the next tack/symbol then from there you scan again for the next stage, rinse and repeat until you reach the final. Ultraviolet markers and lasers have also been used. If your observant enough they can be done in daylight but they lose a lot of the "fun" factor.

Often (but not exclusively) the "night cache", "flashlight required" and "UV Light Required" attributes are set therefore you can filter for them.

As for issues with authorities/others no, wildlife yes (being stalked by a pack of coyotes can be unnerving).

A couple of references

http://www.cacheatnight.com/geocaching/

http://debaere.blogspot.ca/2013/12/night-caching-in-san-jose.html

We had a hoot doing this night cache quite awhile ago

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3J1G4_the-goblins-hoard

How do you mean? So are night caches dedicated caches? Not just a 'normal' cache?

There are caches meant to be done at night.

Sometimes they use reflective objects, like fire tacks (but not necessarily), and you use a flashlight to find them.

I've found at least one night cache that had a red blinking LED light that you had to spot from some distance away, and then try to walk the line to the cache. It was tricky because once you got a bit closer you couldn't see the light anymore, so you really had to make sure you had the bearing right.

There are, undoubtedly, many variations of night caches. It isn't a real cache type, and there's no set definition for them, but there is a lot of room for creativity.

And, of course, some people simply opt to find other caches at night too. If you decide to do this, just make sure the area isn't off-limits during night hours. Some places, like public parks and cemeteries, close at sunset.

There are caches built specifically to be done at night.

Others may do night caching, finding "normal" caches after hours.

Yup. Both options fall under "night caching".

Sounds like the OP is reading logs for "normal" caches.

If they were caches were one needed to follow reflective trails, they would be listed as "Mystery" caches.

1.26. Night and UV Geocaches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=69

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I've done a couple of night caches. One was on a lot in the hills with lots of trees in the area and they used fire tacks to get you from one spot to next. Had trouble with that one as they looped back and forth so you quite often might be at stage four and could only see the stage 2 tacks again. Finally got it though.

The other was a series of caches set in the Nevada desert - not trees! They used stakes (mostly PVC pipes) just a bit taller than the bush and added reflective tape around the top or down one side). We had rather weak flashlights and the distance were too far to see the next point very easily. So, bring a VERY bright flashlight! As many lumens as you can afford.

Tip: get a headlamp, not a flashlight. Two reasons:

1. A headlamp will nicely light up twigs before they have a chance to poke you in the eye.
  2. When looking for reflective tacks, having the light very close to your eyes definitely helps. It seems they (some of them at least) reflect best at a perfect 180° angle, meaning straight back toward the light.

Caches designed to be done at night (using reflectors) can be fun.

In terms of finding "regular" caches at night; for the most part I only do that in built up areas where there is street lighting. I don't tend to go off into the fields/woods on footpaths at night, though I have done it (and enjoyed it) in a group occasionally. Indeed I have concerns about causing alarm in doing so. E.g a footpath which goes through a farm. I may have the right to walk that footpath, and that right doesn't say daylight hours only, but walking around a farmyard at night with a torch/flashlight would likely disturb the animals and the owners.

Heck, up here at 53° north (Edmonton), in the shortest days of December, we can even sneak in a little night caching before dinner.

I'm not crazy about it.

1e872a7b-abe1-4862-bc47-138efed1cb99_l.jpg

Your picture reminded me of my favorite night cache experience.

We were approaching the final stage of the cache, which was marked with two red fire tacks. We round a bend in the trail and I tell the others with me "I see the two red tacks!". And then they moved into the woods! "Nevermind...just an animal!"

I've gone out on a beautiful summer night, caching by the ocean. Lot's of people walking by, some street lights, have to use stealth...but it was fun. Haven't seen any actual specific night caches in my area...I guess now that I know about them, I'll use the filter and see if I can find any. Thanks for the question.

Night caches are great fun, usually best enjoyed safely in groups :)

In our area there used to be an annual all-night caching event called BFL Boot Camp. Mystery- and Multi-caches, or field puzzle caches, would be placed around the nearby region all based on a common theme, usually excuisitely and intricately designed, sometimes very technical and only intended to last a year with some maintenance, but typically requiring anywhere from a half hour to multiple hours in the dark in order to find. The event was very popular, and while most people didn't stay out all night, a few us often pulled the all-nighter to attempt to find every new cache, and if there was a final/bonus, to FTF that one :) I still remember a great one where we managed to make the hike to the last cache of the series at 6am as the sun rose. Great memories.

Oh night caches can be great fun. It's hard to guarantee that a "night cache" be designed in such a way that it cannot be found in daylight, but you really only cheat yourself if you go, say, searching for firetacks on trees in the daylight.

Higher tech night caches could also use laser lights, battery operated triggers and whatnot that charge during the day, all out in the forest.

My 300th find was a Blair Witch theme night cache which I did alone on Halloween in a local forest on the outskirts of town requiring a lengthy hike and tracking many fire tacks. Loved it :)

Edited by thebruce0

Hmmm, I guess I can't filter night caches. Anyone know how to find them?

You'll need to use a Pocket Query to search for attributes like Night cache, Recommended at night, Flashlight required, UV light required.

(unless you have gsak or another database/filtering tool you use to manage your own cache lists, which can also filter for those)

Alternateively you could check for bookmark lists people may have set up that contain night notable caches. That's always a godo way to locate recommended caches.

Edited by thebruce0

My 300th find was a Blair Witch theme night cache which I did alone on Halloween in a local forest on the outskirts of town requiring a lengthy hike and tracking many fire tacks. Loved it :)

I've done most of my night caches solo, adds to the thrill. I did a solo night cache on Halloween and a deer scared the bejeezus out of me. I also did a solo night cache while road tripping, 500 miles from home, in the rain, before I checked into the hotel.

As far as hunting for regular caches at night, I've done a few. I do a lot of night hiking and if there is a cache nearby and not too far off trail, I'll try for it.

I have a public bookmark list for night caches. It needs a bit of organization, but it covers the Northeast United States: https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=6360ede3-30e4-4e74-8b6f-27cf6af4939a

Edited by igator210

How does night caching work? Are the reflector tacks just out in the open and you follow them as well as the GPS?

It depends on the cache. You'll need to look at the cache description to understand what is required. Some use reflector tacks, others have lights that you look for, some are glow-in-the-dark. There's no specific thing that defines a night cache, other than it's meant to be done at night (and even then, it doesn't need to be).

You could say night caches are "best experienced" at night - whether because you need to do tasks that are best done at night, required to be done at night, or just because it's neater when done at night. Sometimes people will find ways around tasks that are best done at night (like searching for firetacks - they glow with flashlights, but can be found with keen eyes during daylight).

Generally speaking, night caches involve flashlights in some manner (if only to see where you're going). Sometimes you can put your gps away, such as if you only need to search for firetacks. Sometimes you may need to do some darkness-oriented field puzzle at stages (some may use UV light, or laser pointers, etc).

If it only requires the use of a gps, then it's really just like any normal geocache and it could be done any time of day so, it isn't really a night cache.

Basically, if it's got tasks or experiences that are better done at night, it's better labeled a night cache :)

How does night caching work? Are the reflector tacks just out in the open and you follow them as well as the GPS?

Usually each night cache starts at a known location and then you rely on reflectors (or some other light source) rather than GPSr. Sometimes you might complete a leg that leads you to a physical stage and then get coordinates that you must navigate to using GPSr.

Long story short, in my experience, a given night cache will normally spell out what you're looking for in the cache description.

I tend to avoid caching at night as I can barely find them in the daylight. I remember once scouring an area with flashlights to the point of hopelessness. We came back in the morning and BAM! It was in plain sight. Lesson learned.

It all depends on the cache. Caches camoed with camo duct tape become easy at night. That duct tape reflects the light from the flashlight, and is easily visible.

Geocaching during the day appears to be a suspicious activity.....at night it appears evil.

Of the VERY few times we have cached at night probably 50% of the time we have encountered police...no more for us.

My reviewer and I agree all caches should have a " Not AT Night " attribute and that's what I do.

In our area there used to be an annual all-night caching event called BFL Boot Camp. Mystery- and Multi-caches, or field puzzle caches, would be placed around the nearby region all based on a common theme, usually excuisitely and intricately designed, sometimes very technical and only intended to last a year with some maintenance, but typically requiring anywhere from a half hour to multiple hours in the dark in order to find. The event was very popular, and while most people didn't stay out all night, a few us often pulled the all-nighter to attempt to find every new cache, and if there was a final/bonus, to FTF that one :) I still remember a great one where we managed to make the hike to the last cache of the series at 6am as the sun rose. Great memories.

Oh night caches can be great fun. It's hard to guarantee that a "night cache" be designed in such a way that it cannot be found in daylight, but you really only cheat yourself if you go, say, searching for firetacks on trees in the daylight.

Higher tech night caches could also use laser lights, battery operated triggers and whatnot that charge during the day, all out in the forest.

you could just keep on typing about this if you like. pictures, notions, potions, and whatever else that went along with the fun.

spill the beans man, it sounds like a hoot !

One of my favorite night caches had a "reactive light" stage -- basically a small photovoltaic cell, shielded from sunlight, that would briefly power an LED light when one shone a flashlight on it.

Another one required you to bring one AAA battery. The penultimate stage was a small container with a laser pointer, powered by the AAA battery, which when aligned correctly pointed out the location of the final container.

Geocaching during the day appears to be a suspicious activity.....at night it appears evil.

Of the VERY few times we have cached at night probably 50% of the time we have encountered police...no more for us.

My reviewer and I agree all caches should have a " Not AT Night " attribute and that's what I do.

That is not my experience at all. I have done many cache searches at night. While I have been questioned by the police 3 times (well one of the times was by MPs), each time after an explanation, they police were happy.

Ok, since the subject of Night Caching is being addressed, I'm wondering how best to go about setting one up for the first time. Now I realize that there are no set guidelines as to this, but with so many premium members chiming in, I thought there might be some experienced and insightful ideas, suggestions, and such for a night caching "newbie". Are they always listed under "mystery" caches, or how best would you list them? Is it best to go with a theme, or just a night cache? Would you recommend staying more urban (parks and such, but not residential. Don't want to alarm the muggles), or going more rural or wild (wild being, say up in the mountains, or forest) to begin with?

I've been, let's say a "casual cacher" since 2006, the reason I say casual is that I cached a bit early, then drifted away due to family, health, and other issues, and have rediscovered geocaching due to Cub Scouts where I have been a leader. Most all my finds have been urban, but I'm wanting to branch out a bit, and even place some of my own. Yep, I'm a 10 year old geocacher with no caches of my own, I'm a basic member in a world of premiums. My area seems to be flooded with micros and nanos (you have probably a 75 to 1 ratio of micro/nano to even a small) and I want to do something different, something exciting, and night caching looks to be just what I'm wanting. I've tried to find night caches in my area, but being a basic I can't search attributes, so I'm not having much luck finding much. But also since I'm a basic, I feel the desire to do something that other basics can easily find, maybe a small series of "intro to night caching" or caching in general type caches, that will maybe inspire others to create bigger and better, and replace those old moldy pill bottles, and obsolete caches that should have been archived years back. I don't know about you, but try seeing things through a newbies eyes, and if all there are, are a bunch of micros and nanos, that are full of DNF's, I'd get a bit discouraged, I'd want something "easy" to get my feet wet, to as the BSA put it, "Get Into The Game" and learn the basics before jumping in over my head and searching for a cache disguised as a pinecone in the middle of the forest. I guess I'm an advocate for the newbies, my philosophy is to begin with some basics, I mean you don't start a baby on steak do you. It just seems a majority of caches are placed by premium members, and I kinda think sometimes they forget what it's like to be the newbie, trying to find their first cache, their first night cache, Wherigo, multicache, etc True, these beginner type caches don't present much challenge for the "old pros" but they create the excitement for the new guys, to stick around long enough to be old pros someday. Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now (lol) any suggestions, advice, ideas, and encouragement about creating my first night cache (actually first cache ever), would be greatly appreciated.

On topic of the cache type, the main differences I'd say between Unknown and Multi in this case is that if there's no physical element at any waypoint (eg, finding a hidden container) it shouldn't be listed as a Multi; or if the listing has information required to complete any task (calculate, puzzle solve, etc) for the cache, it should be listed as an Unknown.

An Unknown may or may not have physical waypoints, but a Multi should have at least one (some reviewer may say every stage should be a physical element); typically the first stage indicates there is something there to find or be done. You're pretty much safe listing any night cache idea as an Unknown, but Multi is an option, generally if each stage leads you to a physical waypoint to do something.

I wouldn't qualify following a trail of firetacks as a multi-stage waypoint however, let alone every tack location. :P

A couple simple examples off the top of my head:

1) Head to posted coordinates and follow firetack trail to the final: Multi or Unknown

2) At posted, gathere information and project coordinates to stage 2 then complete a field puzzle requiring UV light to determine final location: Multi or Unknown (with Field Puzzle and UV attributes)

3) Solve a puzzle on the listing to locate stage 1 trailhead then follow firetacks to the final: Unknown

Some reviewers and cachers may have different opinions on that though. ;)

Edited by thebruce0

That too, yep, IF the final has the required letterbox stamp.

ETA: reasoning - Letterboxes Hybrids are generally a "follow the instructions" non-GPS variation on a Multi, and "follow the firetack trail" qualifies as an instruction not requiring GPS. (but LBs can also simply be at posted coordinates, as their only requirement is that it contains the stamp)

Edited by thebruce0

That too, yep, IF the final has the required letterbox stamp.

ETA: reasoning - Letterboxes Hybrids are generally a "follow the instructions" non-GPS variation on a Multi, and "follow the firetack trail" qualifies as an instruction not requiring GPS. (but LBs can also simply be at posted coordinates, as their only requirement is that it contains the stamp)

Follow the trail beginning at these coordinates should count as sufficient GPS use. I understand that the guidelines tragically require nothing but GPS use and a stamp, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to apply best practices.

Not sure what point you're responding to directly, but yes - a night cache could be listed as a LB, if it has a stamp, whether it has a tack trail or not.

The point about gps use was that if a cache does not require GPS use at all (apart from getting to posted) but rather following of instructions, it'll likely be recommended to be listed as a LB (with a stamp). But it can still be listed as a LB if it does require GPS use (and has a stamp).

Really, there's no too much incentive to list a night cache as a LB since most ideas qualify as Multi or Unknown; unless you really want to include a stamp in the final :) (or own a LB cachetype) But that part is really up to the CO.

Follow the trail beginning at these coordinates should count as sufficient GPS use.
Yes, as long as it really is "beginning at these coordinates", and not something like "beginning at the parking lot" with the coordinates of the parking lot provided. At least, that's what I've seen on the LBH caches that I've done.

I understand that the guidelines tragically require nothing but GPS use and a stamp, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to apply best practices.
A while back, I was preparing for a trip and discovered several LBH caches in the area of my destination. Then I realized they were all at the posted coordinates, essentially traditional caches with stamps. I was disappointed.

But I've read that letterboxers consider "at these coordinates" to be a perfectly acceptable form of clue, just as much as the "(possibly cryptic) description of the route" clues that I've come to associate with letterboxing.

Ok, since the subject of Night Caching is being addressed, I'm wondering how best to go about setting one up for the first time. Now I realize that there are no set guidelines as to this, but with so many premium members chiming in, I thought there might be some experienced and insightful ideas, suggestions, and such for a night caching "newbie". Are they always listed under "mystery" caches, or how best would you list them? Is it best to go with a theme, or just a night cache? Would you recommend staying more urban (parks and such, but not residential. Don't want to alarm the muggles), or going more rural or wild (wild being, say up in the mountains, or forest) to begin with?
I've never created a night cache, but I've found a few.

Around here, one of the difficulties in creating a night cache is finding a place to set one up. A lot of the parks and open spaces near me close at sunset, or half an hour after sunset.

The stereotypical night cache starts at the posted coordinates and then follows a series of FireTacks or other reflective markers. I've done a couple like that. But I've also done night caches that used no reflectors and used fluorescent ink/paint instead, requiring a UV flashlight to see the clues. And one of my Favorites was a night cache that incorporated reflectors, fluorescent ink/paint, physical puzzles, and other elements into a multi-stage adventure that took a couple hours to complete. And I've heard of night caches that are gadget caches, where the gadget is designed to operate only at certain nighttime hours.

Most of the night caches I've done have had some sort of theme, although sometimes the theme is rather thin. But that's entirely up to you. Some locations lend themselves to a strong theme. Some cache owners are good at incorporating a strong theme. Do what you're comfortable with.

And in my experience, night caches are "destination caches". People plan a geocaching trip around them, and are willing to travel a bit for them. So I think the urban vs rural/wild decision should be based on where you can create and maintain the cache. If you build it, they will come, and all that. So figure out where you can build it, and the rest will follow.

Follow the trail beginning at these coordinates should count as sufficient GPS use.
Yes, as long as it really is "beginning at these coordinates", and not something like "beginning at the parking lot" with the coordinates of the parking lot provided. At least, that's what I've seen on the LBH caches that I've done.

I understand that the guidelines tragically require nothing but GPS use and a stamp, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to apply best practices.
A while back, I was preparing for a trip and discovered several LBH caches in the area of my destination. Then I realized they were all at the posted coordinates, essentially traditional caches with stamps. I was disappointed.

But I've read that letterboxers consider "at these coordinates" to be a perfectly acceptable form of clue, just as much as the "(possibly cryptic) description of the route" clues that I've come to associate with letterboxing.

We call those "letterstamp traditionals."

I've only done two or three night caches. The first one was quite the adventure. We had to hike a long way on trails but in fairly rough terrain and the final location was quite a bit off trail. When we got there, we were visited by a very large skunk. I've seen or smelled little ones in my neighborhood, since I live near a creek, but this one was maybe 15 pounds. At least that's my estimate. Fortunately we never got close enough to get an accurate assessment.