Montana 650t

Wadders

Hi, I bought the Montana some time ago and quite quickly got rid of the rechargeable battery that came with it as it did not last long at all.

so i now use Duracell batteries all the time, however i am now eating through these quite a lot too.

I tend to leave the GPS on, whilst it is on the windscreen mount in the car.

I have tried to plug a lead into the GPS and power it right from the cigarette lighter, i have tried with the batteries in and out but each time the GPS thinks it is connecting to the PC and wont come out of that mode..

Why would this happen?

I would rather run it off a lead before spending out on a powered mount.

Anyone any ideas.

Thanks

Terry

Hi, I bought the Montana some time ago and quite quickly got rid of the rechargeable battery that came with it as it did not last long at all.

so i now use Duracell batteries all the time, however i am now eating through these quite a lot too.

I tend to leave the GPS on, whilst it is on the windscreen mount in the car.

I have tried to plug a lead into the GPS and power it right from the cigarette lighter, i have tried with the batteries in and out but each time the GPS thinks it is connecting to the PC and wont come out of that mode..

Why would this happen?

I would rather run it off a lead before spending out on a powered mount.

Anyone any ideas.

Thanks

Terry

Hmm, my Montana 600 runs all day on a full battery charge. Recharges overnight, then goes again all the next day. One of the things I love about it.

The "battery pack" on the Oregon 650 is just two Nicad AA's with a bit of plastic between them. That plastic pushes down on a button in the case so that it charges when connected to USB. The supplied batteries were some medium brand ones without much capacity. Replaced with Eneloops and got a lot more.

As for OP's problem with it saying it's connected to a PC when just plugged into a fag lighter - Suggest checking the connection settings in Setup and playing around there, and if that doesn't work, trying a different usb lead from the charger. (Generally speaking, if there's no data connection on a usb lead, these things don't wait for a pc, they just jump onto power. Certainly the Oregons do)

Powering it through a mount is the way to go and charging that way will charge the rectangular battery via a 12v supply.

It is only the rectangular battery that can be charged by any source. Charging via USB will always give the effect of showing the USB connected screen.

Battery duration was better on my 600 than on my 680T changing a setting for screen/power saving has increased the duration.

I've built up stocks and have 3 of the rectangular batteries now so I'm good for quite a spell of caching.

I did spend quite a lot on a mount I've got the rugged one and a load of Ram Mount Items. Also have an unpowered one for a bicycle.

The "battery pack" on the Oregon 650 is just two Nicad AA's with a bit of plastic between them. That plastic pushes down on a button in the case so that it charges when connected to USB. The supplied batteries were some medium brand ones without much capacity. Replaced with Eneloops and got a lot more.

As for OP's problem with it saying it's connected to a PC when just plugged into a fag lighter - Suggest checking the connection settings in Setup and playing around there, and if that doesn't work, trying a different usb lead from the charger. (Generally speaking, if there's no data connection on a usb lead, these things don't wait for a pc, they just jump onto power. Certainly the Oregons do)

tried several leads and changing the settings to no avail

[...]

tried several leads and changing the settings to no avail

Settings > System > Interface > Hit: "Garmin Spanner"

From now on the unit will ask you to go in Mass Storage Mode. Hit No.

Hans

Edit: typo

Edited by HHL

Settings > System > Interface > Hit: "Garmin Spanner"

From now on the unit will ask you to go in Mass Storage Mode. Hit No.

Hans

I'm been watching this thread with interest because it's been a real pain not to be able to use the Montana while charging in the car.

Problem solved!

Thanks B)

M