Use bones for a cache

Les WODEY

Can? I'm sure you could. I'd think it would be large enough to hollow out and put a bison tube in.

Should you? Probably not. First off, how are you going to replace it? At least if you use a Halloween decoration you can buy more. Second, I'm not sure people would even look at it as a cache. Means it wouldn't be found, and have DNFs. Then there's the fact it's a real bone. Dogs like bones. Bones are also a source of food. It's never a good idea to have anything that has a scent or could be food in a cache, so it follows that you can't have that stuff as the cache. Even if the bone is cleaned and bleached it won't stop animals from trying to see if there's anything left.

Although all of what I said is educated opinions based on what I know about other similar/related things.

All things considered, even though I don't think it's a good idea, I would say try it. Have a fake plastic bone or something incase it goes bad. And report back how it holds up.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Can? I'm sure you could. I'd think it would be large enough to hollow out and put a bison tube in.

Should you? Probably not. First off, how are you going to replace it? At least if you use a Halloween decoration you can buy more. Second, I'm not sure people would even look at it as a cache. Means it wouldn't be found, and have DNFs. Then there's the fact it's a real bone. Dogs like bones. Bones are also a source of food. It's never a good idea to have anything that has a scent or could be food in a cache, so it follows that you can't have that stuff as the cache. Even if the bone is cleaned and bleached it won't stop animals from trying to see if there's anything left.

I helped my sister hide one a few weeks ago. Drill out the bone. Gorilla glue a bison into the bone. So far, it has held up well.

I've hidden a couple of caches using bones as a theme. On one, i had a mixture of bones from cow, deer, and raccoon. Have to say that they did spruce up the area nicely. :P Didn't use a bone as a container but i did use the raccoon skull to cover a soda tube. Both caches were out in the woods and to this day, i haven't had any problems with other animals going after them.

To the OP, go for it. I saw some naysaying here but i bet you find that people enjoy the cache.

The ideas given about washing and bleaching are good. I think another treatment that would help is to seal it in some way. This could include two coats of matte finish spray varnish. That would seal in any remaining odor *and* would help delay rot caused by rain permeating the porous bone and decay setting in.

hello !

Does anyone here know if I can use bones to hide containers ?

it's a cow femur with much space inside.

I'm guessing you mean to place a waterproof Micro in the space.

I've found bones that seemed untouched in the forest, even a deer head with antlers (pretty big buck!). But one cool jawbone had a lot of deep gnaw marks on it, from I don't know, rats or something? Animals, even herbivores, will chew bones, and around here (Atlanta, Georgia area), I guess it happens sometimes. So I won't be placing an actual bone as a cache item. Maybe if I find one made of concrete...

But you won't know how a bone or whatever will work unless you try it. You could even place it as you like, and wait a while and check to see how it holds up. If you then activate it, and are performing maintenance as necessary, it should be fine.

Edited by kunarion