Another new user with stupid questions :)

NaityDhimDarell

Hello fellow geocachers,

I am new to this activity. I have looked for my first cache this weekend, this was fun. I am however struggling or curious about certain aspects of it. Since there is a forum, I thought I could as well ask my newbies questions here ;)

1- I am confused with all the different kind of caches. I did not find a clear definition of what is what. For example, there are 2 caches in my neighbourhood: GC5A3JH and GC2P96D. one is an Earthcache and the other a Multicache. How should I understand those? Are they related to any real cache or is it just a riddle to solve. In a more general way, is there a good definition of the cache terminology used on the website (APE, Mistery, Wherigo...etc)?

2- I have visited a few cache which were marked as containing one or more trackables. I like the idea behind those (making a little token travel the world ^^). However they were empty of trackables. I read in activity thread that this seem to be common. What does it mean that those trackables are missing? That somebody took it without registering it? Also is there a way to update the cache so that it does not contain misleading information?

3- Some cache seem to be more popular than other. Is there a way to filter the cache in an area by popularity? I am interested to understand what is considered a "good" and an "average" cache ;)

4- The geocaching mobile app is increadibly limited: most of cache do not appear on it for non premium members. Are there alternative apps?

5- I am struggling with very small caches. I did not understood yet how small is very small and what are typical hiding spots. I tried to find some that were marked as very easy but failed totally (2 not found for 3 XS searchs). Is there good tipps for finding those small caches? Also should I log at not found caches that I did not find because of my lack of skills while it is most probably still in place (some people finding it couple hours before/after)?

thanks a lot in advance :)

Florian

1- I am confused with all the different kind of caches. I did not find a clear definition of what is what. For example, there are 2 caches in my neighbourhood: GC5A3JH and GC2P96D. one is an Earthcache and the other a Multicache. How should I understand those? Are they related to any real cache or is it just a riddle to solve. In a more general way, is there a good definition of the cache terminology used on the website (APE, Mistery, Wherigo...etc)?

Geocache types.

2- I have visited a few cache which were marked as containing one or more trackables. I like the idea behind those (making a little token travel the world ^^). However they were empty of trackables. I read in activity thread that this seem to be common. What does it mean that those trackables are missing? That somebody took it without registering it? Also is there a way to update the cache so that it does not contain misleading information?

Trackables are taken from caches and not logged or just go "missing" all the time. Someone may take them and loose them, forget to log them, not know how to log them...

3- Some cache seem to be more popular than other. Is there a way to filter the cache in an area by popularity? I am interested to understand what is considered a "good" and an "average" cache ;)

Let's not open that can of worms :lol:

Some will find a powertrail (a cache every 161m) "good" caches others will prefer to climb a tree, dive, hike 5 days...

We prefer multi caches that we can walk/hike/bike, mysteries (solve in winter find in summer), earthcaches (interesting locations + you learn something) and caches that are "special". There are special containers, gadgets...

4- The geocaching mobile app is increadibly limited: most of cache do not appear on it for non premium members. Are there alternative apps?

YES!!! Look here for "partners", most if not all are better apps than the "official" one, many are free.

5- I am struggling with very small caches. I did not understood yet how small is very small and what are typical hiding spots. I tried to find some that were marked as very easy but failed totally (2 not found for 3 XS searchs). Is there good tipps for finding those small caches? Also should I log at not found caches that I did not find because of my lack of skills while it is most probably still in place (some people finding it couple hours before/after)?

There are all kinds of sizes. We've walked in into a "container" and there are caches the size of a small bolt and anything in between.

The best ones are the ones that are hidden in plain sight.

Hello fellow geocachers,

I am new to this activity. I have looked for my first cache this weekend, this was fun. I am however struggling or curious about certain aspects of it. Since there is a forum, I thought I could as well ask my newbies questions here ;)

I am confused with all the different kind of caches. I did not find a clear definition of what is what. For example, there are 2 caches in my neighbourhood: GC5A3JH and GC2P96D. one is an Earthcache and the other a Multicache. How should I understand those? Are they related to any real cache or is it just a riddle to solve. In a more general way, is there a good definition of the cache terminology used on the website (APE, Mistery, Wherigo...etc)?

Here's a link explaining different types.

Geocache Types

Unfortunately, trackables disappear all the time. People pick them up and sometimes lose them, forget they even have them, and even steal them. If a trackable is listed but missing, probably the best thing to do is to state that in your log.

What's good to you may not be good to others. For instance, if you like challenging caches, then one way that helps to find them is to filter for higher difficulty ratings. Filtering for cache attributes that you're interested in helps as well. We can't filter for them in a pocket query but we can see favorite points totals when looking at a list of caches. The more they have, the better chance it's a more popular and thought out cache.

There are others. Search for geocaching at either store and you will get a list.

All i can say is that the more you cache, the better you get. I'd guess that when some are marked as easy, it is because they were hidden in a common way that, once a person finds one, the rest are easy peasy. For example, finding your first LPC can be difficult but once you find it, they come very easy. I find it sometimes help to try and put myself in the cache hider's shoes and ask myself, what places look good for a cache? Also, on micros, we've found many that were magnetic which sometimes limits their hiding places. Be sure to read the cache description and also the previous logs. There's a good chance you'll find clues/hints as to how the cache is hidden by doing this.

Thank you for the answer. The link about cache types is what I was lookibng for, somehow did not find it.

The cache popularity ranking was more a way to know where to look for what. There is tons of cache in munich, and it is intimidating: once the ones by my home and my work are done, this could indicate where to look first.

YES!!! Look here for "partners", most if not all are better apps than the "official" one, many are free.

I have a PM account, so I'm not familiar enough with the limitations of other apps using a Basic account. Wouldn't a basic member be limited to 3 caches per day using the other apps? And would they be limited to caches with D/T ratings 1.5 or under?

Others have already given you some good advice. Here's a little that I can add...

The owner of the trackable can mark it missing. So can the owner of the cache. Sometimes I'll mention the missing trackables in my log for the cache, and I'll also post a note to the trackable page (a note does not require the tracking number) mentioning that the trackable was not found in the cache it is listed as being in.

Other than that, there isn't much you can do. Although there have been some suggestions offered for improving the system in the bugs/suggestions section of the forums.

Honestly, I would recommend avoiding "extra small" caches (which is that the app calls micro size caches; yes, it's confusing). More on that in a moment.

But yes, go ahead and post a DNF log if you searched for a cache but did not find it. See the Help Center article What log type should I use?

And yes, some of us really enjoy those hard-to-find camouflaged micro caches. My record so far is 6 DNF logs (for 6 separate visits) before finally finding the cache.

Also, some caches are listed as very easy (low difficulty rating) because they're in "the usual spot" and experienced geocachers know where to look for them. Of course, that doesn't help new geocachers, who haven't learned where "the usual spots" are yet.

Anyway, here is some other advice for beginning geocachers that I've posted before:

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Where would you hide something? Do you notice anything unusual? Is anything too new, too old, too organized (e.g., UPS: an Unnatural Pile of Sticks/Stones), too symmetrical, not quite the right color or shape, etc.? Don’t look only on the ground; the cache may be knee-level, waist-level, eye-level, or overhead. How might the container be secured in place? With magnets? With a hook? With string? With fishing line? With something else? Does anything move when you touch it? (Be careful when touching things though.)

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums, and check out some geocaching videos on YouTube.

I have a PM account, so I'm not familiar enough with the limitations of other apps using a Basic account. Wouldn't a basic member be limited to 3 caches per day using the other apps? And would they be limited to caches with D/T ratings 1.5 or under?

It's only the "official" app that has the 1.5/1.5 limitation. Basic members can visit the website and see all non-PM caches no matter what the D/T rating. They are limited to 3 "full" downloads/24h via API but can get 3 D/T 5/5 non-traditional caches in a 3rd party app.

I have no idea why gc's own app is so crippled but at least there are alternatives ;)

Hello fellow geocachers,

Help Center

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Finding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=25

3.1. Geocache types

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=710

B.

It's only the "official" app that has the 1.5/1.5 limitation. Basic members can visit the website and see all non-PM caches no matter what the D/T rating. They are limited to 3 "full" downloads/24h via API but can get 3 D/T 5/5 non-traditional caches in a 3rd party app.

I have no idea why gc's own app is so crippled but at least there are alternatives ;)

Thanks for that. :)

I thought all had the limitation, as I remembered that they're supposed to be equivalent to GC's "official" app.

Was corrected by another, asked a developer outright ... and haven't heard from him since. :D

I think one of the reasons the D/T was set to 1.5 was because owners wanted this. If they set the D/T limit higher many COs may have inflated their D/T ratings even if their caches were relatively easy, in order to keep them off the free app. So maybe it was a good thing in terms of keeping the D/Ts accurate.

Thanks for the info about the other apps.

Edited by L0ne.R

Isn't the app crippled because of "listening" to the "forum feedback"? It been long established in these forums that unvalidated new casual cachers destroy/remove caches, steal trackables, and leave lame logs ...

Isn't the app crippled because of "listening" to the "forum feedback"? It been long established in these forums that unvalidated new casual cachers destroy/remove caches, steal trackables, and leave lame logs ...

That what I thought, but if none of the third-party apps are too, what's the point? :unsure:

Hi niraD,

The owner of the trackable can mark it missing. So can the owner of the cache. Sometimes I'll mention the missing trackables in my log for the cache, and I'll also post a note to the trackable page (a note does not require the tracking number) mentioning that the trackable was not found in the cache it is listed as being in.

Other than that, there isn't much you can do.

That's a good point. I used to let it be known in the comments but did not think about a note on the trackable page. I will do so in the future.

Honestly, I would recommend avoiding "extra small" caches (which is that the app calls micro size caches; yes, it's confusing). More on that in a moment.

But yes, go ahead and post a DNF log if you searched for a cache but did not find it. See the Help Center article What log type should I use?

And yes, some of us really enjoy those hard-to-find camouflaged micro caches. My record so far is 6 DNF logs (for 6 separate visits) before finally finding the cache.

Also, some caches are listed as very easy (low difficulty rating) because they're in "the usual spot" and experienced geocachers know where to look for them. Of course, that doesn't help new geocachers, who haven't learned where "the usual spots" are yet.

Anyway, here is some other advice for beginning geocachers that I've posted before:

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

The main issue is that there is mostly microcaches around me. When I try to go look for one with the GC app, the traditionals 1.5 / 1.5 around are only XS. Also there are some M and L caches in my neighbourhood, but they are premium only, making it harder without the app nor the website ;)

Regarding your 6 DNF, was it at least rewarding to finally have gotten it? ^^

They are limited to 3 "full" downloads/24h via API but can get 3 D/T 5/5 non-traditional caches in a 3rd party app.

What is this "full" download you are talking about? Am I allowed to "unlock" up to 3 non-traditional cache on my phone per day with the GC app? :)

Help Center

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Finding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=25

3.1. Geocache types

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=710

Thanks, I'll get a look at those ;)

It been long established in these forums that unvalidated new casual cachers destroy/remove caches, steal trackables, and leave lame logs ...

dadgum. Because of me it'' all be worse :P

That what I thought, but if none of the third-party apps are too, what's the point? :unsure:

For the record (before this goes any further) and just to clarify I was being a little sarcastic. :P I don't believe or support that "statement"...

Agreed, with the debatable "wisdom" of crippling your own app while others work unhindered... :blink:

The main issue is that there is mostly microcaches around me. When I try to go look for one with the GC app, the traditionals 1.5 / 1.5 around are only XS. Also there are some M and L caches in my neighbourhood, but they are premium only, making it harder without the app nor the website ;)
Larger caches don't survive long in busy areas. I've seen the same pattern repeat in multiple spots around my neighborhood: a series of short-lived non-micro caches appear in the same neighborhood park, each being repeatedly muggled and eventually archived, until finally someone hides a micro, or maybe even a puzzle micro. That survives, so that's what remains. And that's why urban/suburban caches are usually micro size.

But if you get a little further away from the busy areas near your neighborhood, then you might encounter some larger caches.

Regarding your 6 DNF, was it at least rewarding to finally have gotten it? ^^
Oh, yeah. It's one of my Favorites. But I really enjoy those hard-to-find well-camouflaged hidden-in-plain-sight caches.

They are limited to 3 "full" downloads/24h via API but can get 3 D/T 5/5 non-traditional caches in a 3rd party app.

What is this "full" download you are talking about? Am I allowed to "unlock" up to 3 non-traditional cache on my phone per day with the GC app? :)

Basic members can download the basic information for a larger number of caches. This includes the GC code, the name, the difficulty, terrain, and size ratings, and not much else.

Basic members are allowed to download the full information (including the description, hint, and recent logs) for only 3 caches per 24 hours.

Larger caches don't survive long in busy areas. I've seen the same pattern repeat in multiple spots around my neighborhood: a series of short-lived non-micro caches appear in the same neighborhood park, each being repeatedly muggled and eventually archived, until finally someone hides a micro, or maybe even a puzzle micro. That survives, so that's what remains. And that's why urban/suburban caches are usually micro size.

But if you get a little further away from the busy areas near your neighborhood, then you might encounter some larger caches.

This makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up. :)

I manage though to find a nice Small one in my suburb yesterday (Munich) large enough to have couple toys to exchange and a bug stamp. It was nice great (and took me a good 40 mins to find the 1.5/1.5 small cache in an area I already knew :laughing: ).

I have screend the map for the fields behind my home instead of looking in the city center and saved some the seem to be nice. Thanks for the tipp ;) .

Oh, yeah. It's one of my Favorites. But I really enjoy those hard-to-find well-camouflaged hidden-in-plain-sight caches.

Can we have just Cache ID for the record? I'm just curious :anitongue:

Basic members are allowed to download the full information (including the description, hint, and recent logs) for only 3 caches per 24 hours.

I would like to go back on that point, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing. What do you mean exactly with "downloading the full information"? The download links I find on the page are for different file formats I know from apps such as sport tracking apps - aka mostly gps coordinates.

Did I understood you correctly: there is a way for basic users to, for example, download full infos on Cache and load them in the official app up to 3 times a day?

If so that would be great. I generaly don't mind paying for good services, but I like to try stuff before as I don't like wasting my money. Having the possibility to track 3 non basic caches from the app per day would be sufficient for now ;)

:laughing:

This was going on well before you showed up. :lol:

No way :surprise: !

This can't be. The univers revolves around me, so I must be the cause.

Joke aside, I of course did not take it personaly. I've been on enough forum to see the pattern repeating of some older user / power user regretting the time the community was more confidential, when people were "truly involved" not like those respectless youngster who play OUR game / code in OUR language / have OUR hobby now while not getting the pure essence of it like WE used to ^^.

Edited by NaityDhimDarell

the non official applications can see all the caches in an area and download and use thousands of them. to see the full listing with hints and such you have to have an internet connection with the approved apps , but the UN approved apps pull ALL the information without issue.

full= everything

not full = enough you need to get you to the cache and log it's find, but not hints/pictures/etc

i haven't had trouble finding caches either way, if they are actually in place.

there is no difference between smartphone and standalone accuracy.

Curious again...isn't the 3-cache limit a more annoying factor? Wouldn't most basic members be happy if they could get an unlimited list of D/T 1.5 and under caches. If the 3 nearest caches are parking lot caches they might miss out on the nice cache behind the woodpile, next to a park trail a block away from the parking lot.

Curious again...isn't the 3-cache limit a more annoying factor? Wouldn't most basic members be happy if they could get an unlimited list of D/T 1.5 and under caches. If the 3 nearest caches are parking lot caches they might miss out on the nice cache behind the woodpile, next to a park trail a block away from the parking lot.

Yes.

However, it's not the 3 nearest caches that get downloaded. Users can choose which caches they wish to see the full information on, which means they can go searching for any visible cache and if they can't find it, choose to reveal the full information up to 3 times. Of course, there are workarounds. You could open up the website on your phone to read full information.

But yes, it's my opinion that the official app should work like the website and not like the API.

Can we have just Cache ID for the record? I'm just curious :anitongue:
A lot of the caches on my Favorites list are like that, but this one in particular is Candy Cap. The owner has developed a reputation for well-camouflaged hides, although this is one of his more "evil" ones.

I would like to go back on that point, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing. What do you mean exactly with "downloading the full information"? The download links I find on the page are for different file formats I know from apps such as sport tracking apps - aka mostly gps coordinates.
The limit I'm talking about applies only to apps that use the API. That includes Groundspeak's Geocaching apps (for iPhone and for Android), although those apps add an additional restriction on the difficulty and terrain ratings of the caches shown. Here's a list of API partner apps:

https://www.geocaching.com/mobile/partners/

The limitation does not apply to viewing cache listings in a browser, to downloading LOC waypoint files, to apps that violate the terms of use by scraping the web site to collect cache data, or to anything else besides using the API.

Personally, I consider one of the most valuable premium membership benefits to be full access to the API.

...in my suburb (Munich)

A lot of good advice here. For more local information including tips for good Geocaches in the Munich area, I'd suggest attending an geocaching event there. The next 'Königlich Bayerischer Geocacher-Stammtisch' will be tomorrow, but that listing includes the coming locations of this monthly (rotating) events as well. There are a bunch of events in and around Munich all the time.

I've been on enough forum to see the pattern repeating of some older user / power user regretting the time the community was more confidential, when people were "truly involved" not like those respectless youngster who play OUR game / code in OUR language / have OUR hobby now while not geltting the pure essence of it like WE used to ^^.

So you may be strong enough for the forum at geoclub .de. :D They have a Munich subforum there. See you!

not annoying at all. i just use the in application filters and sorting to get the results i want after downloading x number aroundng an area. takes about twelve seconds, no computer needed. easy peas