Hand tool in the map

excagirl

Confirming this bug as well. Here are more details based on my experience.

Searching for caches, and clicking the button "Map These Geocaches" opens a map with the 1,000 closest caches. It is possible to hover the cursor over a cache and click the icon to see it's name, link, detail, etc. When you click the "Clear Search Filters" button on the map, it shows you more than just the closest 1,000, but you can no longer click on any geocache, rendering the map useless. I've encountered bugs like this before, but changing the zoom level usually fixes it. I've tested this now on both firefox and chrome and the issue is consistent.

Please fix this issue, for anyone who has done a significant amount of caching in an area, it makes it very difficult to find new areas to go caching.

Same problem here as well. I can open the map on PC but cant access any cache info. I also had a problem yesterday logging a cache on both mobile apps. It told me the logs were sent and souvenir gained but on reopening the app after closing it all was as if i had not logged it. Eventually managed on my pc after 4-5 failed attempts on my android phone. (Galaxy S6)

It seems to work as far as clicking on the icons, for me. Yesterday, I couldn't open anything from the map. There are still some bugs, though. When I use my mousewheel to zoom in, the icons blow up to about 10x their size before resetting to normal. The opposite for when I zoom out...the icons get tiny before resetting.

Edit: it's seems to have stopped working again.

Edited by Crow-T-Robot

I use Mac OS X 10.11.6 and a Safari Browser and i got exactly the same problems

i also downloaded Firefox got the same bulls.... this really can´t be true that something like this happens on a weekend

i tried everything new start, shut down erasing the cache starting onyx. it´s a Groundspeak problem it should be solved hopefully

quick

just as i finished the post i read the comment of van der Decken and tried it again and what a wonder it´s working

tx to Groundspeak or the ghost who solved this problem

Edited by Nebiyah

I'm submitting the issue to the devs. The thing that makes this especially weird is it seems to have started yesterday (judging by posts here and elsewhere), but there were no code changes yesterday. Also, the couple of us who've tried to reproduce it haven't been able to. It's not affecting everyone. Intermittent bugs are the worst.

So if you're having the problem, please note which browser you're on and which maps you use. Any of those details that we can pass to the devs may be helpful.

I'm submitting the issue to the devs. The thing that makes this especially weird is it seems to have started yesterday (judging by posts here and elsewhere), but there were no code changes yesterday. Also, the couple of us who've tried to reproduce it haven't been able to. It's not affecting everyone. Intermittent bugs are the worst.

So if you're having the problem, please note which browser you're on and which maps you use. Any of those details that we can pass to the devs may be helpful.

To add to what Rock Chalk said above, a couple specific answers that would be potentially helpful:

• How did you navigate to the map? Directly? From the search page map preview? From a PQ map preview?
  • Which map layer are you using? Google Maps? One of the Leaflet layers? (If so, which?)
  • Does the bug only occur after certain actions on the map (e.g. zooming, panning)? Or are you unable to open caches as soon as you open the map?
  • Which browser version and OS version are you using?

This started yesterday 8/20 and still continues today. I use google chrome as my browser. No updates or changes there.

I go to Geocaching main page, play, view Geocache map and the hand tool does not work. Unable to open caches as soon as I open map.

OS has worked fine until yesterday. HP laptop, Windows 7, google chrome as browser.

Edited by 7oakley

Same here. All Browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge on Windows 10) with any maps (OSM, Google...) not working.

The navigation to the map doesn't change the behaviour. I tried it from a cache listing, bookmark or search page.

Changing the map layer doesn't force a reload of the Cache layer.

Workaround for Premium Members: Add area to a pocket query an access the caches via PQ-panel.

Courious: When the PQ-panel is open, the hand-cursor is working. A click on "Search" disables it again.

Contact me, if you want more infos.

Edited by FB_Flupo

Same here. All Browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge on Windows 10) with any maps (OSM, Google...) not working.

The navigation to the map doesn't change the behaviour. I tried it from a cache listing, bookmark or search page.

Changing the map layer doesn't force a reload of the Cache layer.

Workaround for Premium Members: Add area to a pocket query an access the caches via PQ-panel.

Courious: When the PQ-panel is open, the hand-cursor is working. A click on "Search" disables it again.

Contact me, if you want more infos.

I just wanted to chime in that I have the same problem and have a little more information that may be helpful. In my case, the error seems to crop up when going to the map from the cache description via the "View Larger Map" link on the cache description page. I've had the problem on both the Google and Leaflet maps. I tried multiple map selections on the Leaflet maps as well. The problem occurs as soon as the map is open using Windows 10 and IE 11.545

I have a link on my desktop to the geocaching map that starts at my home location. I built this link using "Map this Location" after using the "near your home location" search function on my profile page. This method of getting to the map seems unaffected. However, this is cumbersome technique when try to access the map in areas far from Home.

I noted FB_Flupo's suggested work around via the PQ panel. However, this work around is not effective when trying to log caches based upon a route you already took...in which case you need to see a map.

This is my current predicament, trying to backlog caches from a hike I took.

V/R,

K Trackers

Edited by K Trackers

I'm having the same issue here. I use Chrome on my laptop but I have never had this problem before. It was working fine this morning when I was looking at the map before going caching. I come back, it's still working fine but then suddenly stops. All I have is the grabby hand, no pointer finger. It works to zoom in and out and to move the map around but I am not able to select a cache and get the little bubble window to open up to see the quick view. Just a little frustrating so I hope things get fixed. :(

As a update to my previous post, I now have the same problem when I used my map link as previous mentioned. It would appear this problem is persistent (I've had this problem for years) and cuts across all maps and methods to get to the map.

It is time for Groundspeak to address this issue. Thanks.

To add to what Rock Chalk said above, a couple specific answers that would be potentially helpful:

• How did you navigate to the map? Directly? From the search page map preview? From a PQ map preview?
  • Which map layer are you using? Google Maps? One of the Leaflet layers? (If so, which?)
  • Does the bug only occur after certain actions on the map (e.g. zooming, panning)? Or are you unable to open caches as soon as you open the map?

I'm currently experiencing the problem.

1. Navigating to the map from "Play - View Geocache Map". The problem is also present when going from "View Larger Map" on a cache page, but it works okay when mapping the results of a search.

2. I'm seeing the problem with Google Maps and all the leaflet ones.

3. No, the problem is there from the get-go.

4. Seeing it in both IE11 and Firefox on Windows 7.

Edited by barefootjeff

Having the same issue with Chrome and other browsers...

I did some more investigating and here is what I found:

- very random issue

- using the Chrome developer tools I traced the following (k and st parameters removed)

Following requests are made:

https://tiles04.geocaching.com/map.png?ts=2&x=8786&y=12093&z=15&k=REMOVED&st=REMOVED&ep=1

loaded the png showing the cache overlay, good

https://tiles04.geocaching.com/map.info?ts=2&x=8782&y=12093&z=15&k=REMOVED&st=REMOVED&ep=1&callback=jQuery191048632494180441777_1471812913537&_=1471812913540

returned with status 204 No Content, not good! it should contain the info needed to have the mouse hover around and show info

Then later, tried the same again and hey, the second request show the JSON grid info needed and all works again.

So the intermittent issue is NOT really the website or the browser. It is the unreliable response to the map.info request.

I also ran the commands with CURL, just plain and simple requests, first the map.png, then map.info.

Sometimes I get a 200 response from map.info, then again a 204.

Rather technical response but I think the right SW engineers should be able to fix it with this info...

Like I said, check the server that generates the map.info, it's not the webinterface/user browser/etc.

And yes, VERY intermittent issue. Also, while working on PC it failed on another using different internet connections (CABLE, 4G).

@Groundspeak: feel free to contact me if you need more info. It is rather reproducible for me.

Edited by june17

I had not encountered the problem until I visited the maps at about 1420. I accessed the maps via a saved link that centers the map around my home location. Before attempting to click on the map I opened the left hand pane to clicked on my finds and traditional to remove then from the display. I was using Firefox in Win 10. I left the FF window active and opened Chrome where I accessed the maps via the geocaching.com > Play > View a map.

In both browsers the icons have become separated from the link to the cache page. When I position the cursor over an icon I would not see floating label cache name, nor would the link be display in the lower left hand corner of the browser window.

I went back to the still open Chrome window and used the back arrow so I could be sure of the steps I took to access the maps in Chrome. I then used the forward arrow in Chrome to return to the map. After doing that, the icons now work in Chrome and are still "dead" in FF.

More experimentation in FF. At my default zoom level of 14 the links do not work. When I zoom to 15 or 16 they work. When I go back to 14, SOME now work. Each time I zoom in and then out a few more work at the 14 level. After three to five zooms in and out all the icons worked properly. I then panned the map and could not find any more problems.

I hope the extra details in this note help you find the problem.

1:View larger map from cache page

2:Google maps

3:As soon as I open larger map I do not get anything but a hand. Zooming out doesn't help.

4:Chrome up to date version Version 52.0.2743.116 m Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 IE11 does not work either on my machine.

•How did you navigate to the map? From the cache page – I usually click on the “In (state) United States link (to the right of the page just over the, i.e. SW 57.4 mi from your home location.

•Which map layer are you using? I use as shown in previous answer My husband uses the Google Map further down below the page on the right.

•Does the bug only occur after certain actions on the map The little hand appears (vs. the arrow) as soon as the map is opened, and does not turn into arrow to open

•Which browser version and OS version are you using? We are using IE 11 and Windows 7

We are in Pelham, NH - just tried again and all seems to be working okay now........ :D

Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome on Windows 10, also Internet Explorer on Windows 8 RT. All maps (Google, Open Street Map, Mapz.cz, etc.).

Same problem!

Macbook pro, all software and OS up to date. Safari, Chrome and Firefox.

I access "using my current location", then select first cache listed, click on Geocaching.com maps and then scroll along the route I will be traveling the next day and select some caches to find. I try to plan driving breaks where there are caches to find. Obviously for me the Geocaching site will be useless, at least for tomorrow.

I wasn't affected by this bug until now, but since today I see the exact behavior, which has been reported on 21 August. When the map shows the result of a PQ, everything is fine. But if I click on "Search" to show all caches, the "hand" cursor never changes to a pointer. This is independent of the browser (FF, Chrome), the map layer, the zoom level and the way I opened the map.

So the bottom line is: The issue is still not fixed for good.

{ Edit: Before writing my post, I played around for at least 30 minutes, and the bug showed up all the time. But after my post, I wanted to check a few more things - and now everything is working again :blink: ! Go figure }

Edited by baer2006

Meaning that mouse-over pulls fresh data and thus could be impacted by lack of response from server side?

Not sure what happens behind the scene, but here is an example of two consecutive requests.

map.png respond with an http code of 200, whereas maps.info responds with 204 (no content).

Something is misbehaving there, only GS can do a real debug...

08-21 22:37:51.440 30598-5111/cgeo.geocaching D/cgeo: [OkHttp] GET https://tiles.geocaching.com/map.png?x=2125&y=1494&z=12&ep=1&app=cgeo&k=3kkw&st=YSWS34kUh5pxhp1-idIwHK1WbejINF--6OW87Yl6_6rJwDnvN2WH3DKeJ4lVPiPg4zH0skP9qZmigVgxZWL9orl_e3BKPAr45r8gaGyMwBh2MldpkQ5OCxTBsegDIiNa0&_=1471811871437
08-21 22:37:53.353 30598-5111/cgeo.geocaching D/cgeo: [OkHttp] 200 (1913 ms) GET https://tiles.geocaching.com/map.png?x=2125&y=1494&z=12&ep=1&app=cgeo&k=3kkw&st=YSWS34kUh5pxhp1-idIwHK1WbejINF--6OW87Yl6_6rJwDnvN2WH3DKeJ4lVPiPg4zH0skP9qZmigVgxZWL9orl_e3BKPAr45r8gaGyMwBh2MldpkQ5OCxTBsegDIiNa0&_=1471811871437 (http/1.1)

08-21 22:37:53.356 30598-5111/cgeo.geocaching D/cgeo: [OkHttp] GET https://tiles.geocaching.com/map.info?x=2125&y=1494&z=12&ep=1&app=cgeo&k=3kkw&st=YSWS34kUh5pxhp1-idIwHK1WbejINF--6OW87Yl6_6rJwDnvN2WH3DKeJ4lVPiPg4zH0skP9qZmigVgxZWL9orl_e3BKPAr45r8gaGyMwBh2MldpkQ5OCxTBsegDIiNa0&_=1471811871437
08-21 22:37:55.845 30598-5111/cgeo.geocaching D/cgeo: [OkHttp] 204 (2489 ms) GET https://tiles.geocaching.com/map.info?x=2125&y=1494&z=12&ep=1&app=cgeo&k=3kkw&st=YSWS34kUh5pxhp1-idIwHK1WbejINF--6OW87Yl6_6rJwDnvN2WH3DKeJ4lVPiPg4zH0skP9qZmigVgxZWL9orl_e3BKPAr45r8gaGyMwBh2MldpkQ5OCxTBsegDIiNa0&_=1471811871437 (http/1.1)

Of course we should remember that the live map has always been klunky and prone to needing repeated refreshes.

I know, for example, that when I view an area on the map and mouse-over the cache icons to get details about the caches, within a radius of less than one screen-full those popups will stop working and I have to refresh the browser to make it work again - and again if I pan or zoom.

Maybe these latest issues are just an extension of a long-standing, fundamental issue with the map service :unsure:

Still occuring for me tonight as well, using Mac 10.11.6 w/Chrome and navigating from the "Play", "View Geocache Map" dropdown menu. Went to a Pocket Query of the area I was searching and using that query's map view, the hand changed back to a finger and I'm able to view the cache name.