Letterbox finds

edscott

On 8/19/2016 at 10:38 AM, cerberus1 said:

I don't keep track, but when I find one it's mentioned in my cache log.

Used to sign them (don't carry my sig stamp and ink for no reason).

- But figuring it might be annoying letterboxers ("oh, those darned geocachers are at it again...) I don't anymore.

I have a few true letterboxes planted around.  When I check on them, I look at the sig stamps in the logbook. I don’t mind  if non-letterboxers (Geocachers or muggled) stamp or sign the log.  I  wouldn’t be able to tell if you were a non-letterboxer, since some  Letterboxers don’t log their finds online anymore.   I find it cool to see the  different sig stamps folks have. 

What does “annoy” letterboxers are when their hand carved stamp is traded for a McDonald toy or just taken (be it a geocacher or muggle) Lol.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, outdoorsoccer said:

What does “annoy” letterboxers are when their hand carved stamp is traded for a McDonald toy or just taken (be it a geocacher or muggle) Lol.  

Definitely! That's the danger of having a letterbox next to a geocache. I had a BIG problem with one of my geocaches (that I adopted) was there long before someone placed a letterbox.  They knew about geocaching, and shouldn't have placed the letterbox there. The easy letterbox was being signed, but not the geocache. That was fun to deal with. :mad:

I'd hate to have my hand carved stamp taken or traded!

4 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Definitely! That's the danger of having a letterbox next to a geocache. I had a BIG problem with one of my geocaches (that I adopted) was there long before someone placed a letterbox.  They knew about geocaching, and shouldn't have placed the letterbox there. The easy letterbox was being signed, but not the geocache. That was fun to deal with. :mad:

I'd hate to have my hand carved stamp taken or traded!

Yup.  I have tried to get the Letterboxing community to sign-up for the basic membership to see if there any Geocaches around before they plant.  But some are so anti-Geocaching that it wasn’t worth the arguments.   I do remind them that it could be muggles that could have taken their stamp and/or box.

I personally look to see if there is a geocache around and plant about ~150-250 ft away.  That way I’m covered if another geocache gets placed in the area.

I have found a geocache that was hidden in the same spot as a letterbox (or vice versus).   I think both the cache and box mention the other and both have survived together for awhile now. 

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, outdoorsoccer said:

I have a few true letterboxes planted around.  When I check on them, I look at the sig stamps in the logbook. 

I don’t mind  if non-letterboxers (Geocachers or muggled) stamp or sign the log.

I  wouldn’t be able to tell if you were a non-letterboxer, since some  Letterboxers don’t log their finds online anymore.   

I find it cool to see the  different sig stamps folks have. 

15 minutes ago, outdoorsoccer said:

I have tried to get the Letterboxing community to sign-up for the basic membership to see if there any Geocaches around before they plant.  

But some are so anti-Geocaching that it wasn’t worth the arguments.  

I do remind them that it could be muggles that could have taken their stamp and/or box.

I personally look to see if there is a geocache around and plant about ~150-250 ft away.  That way I’m covered if another geocache gets placed in the area.

I have found a geocache that was hidden in the same spot as a letterbox (or vice versus).  

I think both the cache and box mention the other and both have survived together for awhile now. 

Thanks.  :)    We know many letterboxers dislike this hobby, and didn't want to create hassles for the COs.

I keep my cerberus stamp with ink in a small lock n lock now.  Guess I could take it with me on days I have a pack...

The other 2/3rd's stamp looks like a three-headed scooby doo.   :D

We got an irate mail once from one, and my reply was  "We asked for permission to place here, why didn't you ?  You're lucky we didn't say anything.", in a park that was concerned  about "things" left on their property.  They never responded after that .    ;)

We see caches swiped where you have to bushwhack quite a ways to the cache.  I don't believe most cachers even notice letterboxes are there...

We've found a few letterboxes within feet of a cache, but logs don't even mention it.   "ON to the next !" - in a hurry maybe.