Time zone improvement.

JALLU1976

I start gc in couple weeks ago and first day I run into mystery cashe where need to gc all month before can log it so I start to do gc one per day because I live in little town and not so much place near, to get that mystery done. also my wife start gc couple days after me and I do her account and everything. and I already wonder that something wrong because always when I log gc found it come in logbook that logged 7 hours ago even my wife account it come actual time and like I say I had done both account and I was thinking I make those exactly same way. anyway one day 14.8 I was go 13.8 to my parents home to fix my car 140km away and I was very busy day in 14 day so I leave early in morning about 6 am and go most near gc from my home and find and log it and not think it much and now 2 days ago I look my profile and notice no logs in 14 day that 14 day log have been registered 13 day so it cut my 1 month gc streak and after that I really start to study this matter and notice that there is able to choose timezone and my timezone is in some reason somewhere in usa and its that 7 hours different, I have now fix it but In same time I start to think. this "game" use gps, I even think this cannot play if not have gps on so why timezone cannot be automatic. gps show what timezone you are and that should be all time easy to see timezone from gps and I think it would be easy to add feature that timezone is always automatic.

also I want to ask if anybody know is it anyway possible to fix that my 14 day log to its right place in 14 day and not in 13 day. I would still want to continue gc but if I really have to start again that 1 month gc what is difficult in here maybe I can live with out gc also. piss of because that not actually my fault.

Thanks anyway for everybody.

also I want to ask if anybody know is it anyway possible to fix that my 14 day log to its right place in 14 day and not in 13 day. I would still want to continue gc but if I really have to start again that 1 month gc what is difficult in here maybe I can live with out gc also. piss of because that not actually my fault.

The timezone problem has existed since day one GC started. The whole system runs on PST (Seattle time) which is UTC-7. On the website you can select the exact date (at your location) when you log and software like GSAK (windows) lets you adjust for timezone.

I have no idea about the "official app" but in GDAK (Android) I can also set the found date for my logs.

You could just wait to log a cache as found until after 10 in the morning (I assume you're in Finland) or if possible edit the date in the app or edit your logs on the website if logged before 10 and showing the wrong date.

Since this time issue is dragging on for 16 years I doubt it will be fixed "any day now". Just think how it is for people even further East who are 20 hours or more ahead of Seattle. They are almost always on the "wrong" date :ph34r:

Since this time issue is dragging on for 16 years I doubt it will be fixed "any day now". Just think how it is for people even further East who are 20 hours or more ahead of Seattle. They are almost always on the "wrong" date :ph34r:

After 2 weeks I am going to Thailand for 1 month and also go look some gc in there then when I go there I have to change timezone when I get there and then again have to remember to change it when I come back to Finland. very annoying. I think this "game" have quite much players and almost everyone pay 30€ in year for membership. that makes quite much money every year. I think with that fundings should be able to do some bug fixing also. I think this webside upkeeping not take so much money and is there any other expences, I ment anyway members do everything. hide gc fix then and make meetings etc etc...

The whole system runs on PST (Seattle time) which is UTC-7.
Just a quibble:

PDT is UTC-7.

PST is UTC-8.

But yes, the whole system runs on Pacific (Seattle) time. Except when it doesn't. Groundspeak has indicated that they would rather leave it the way that it is than implement a partial fix. And a complete fix will be a rather large endeavor, so it may be a while longer before we see it.

The whole system runs on PST (Seattle time) which is UTC-7.
Just a quibble:

PDT is UTC-7.

PST is UTC-8.

But yes, the whole system runs on Pacific (Seattle) time. Except when it doesn't. Groundspeak has indicated that they would rather leave it the way that it is than implement a partial fix. And a complete fix will be a rather large endeavor, so it may be a while longer before we see it.

Typo because here it's called "summertime" (we go back to winter time) so BST is Belgian Summer Time not BDT, Belgian Daylight saving time.

Anyway, we're 9 hours ahead of P(D/S)T most of the year and 8 hours in between the time change that's on another date in the US than it is here.

The rest of my post remains valid anyway. Servers for worldwide audiences should run on UTC with user definable offset. Problem solved. Of course fixing a system that was flawed from the start is getting harder to do by every cache and log that's added.