Reaching "land locked" caches

jonnycouk

I'm new to Geocaching - a month or so - and I'm keen on the remote Traditional Caches. I see them all over the place and some are a good trek away, letting me boot up and wander.

I live in the UK.

Some caches however seem to be "land locked" for want of a better term. I see some near to field edges with Bridleway's; all good. Some however are way inland, through several fields and appear to have been dropped by air!

I'm interested in hearing how others in England navigate to these caches successfully and without upsetting land owners. I am very conscious about just stomping through fields in case I'm trespassing. I see some fields appear to have pathways and breaks in hedge rows etc. on Google Maps but this isn't guaranteed to be the case in real life and despite reading up on Rights of Way, I'm still a little nervous and mindful I may inadvertently stray across land I have no right to.

Two caches I can give examples of are GC3YB5R and GCX2XW. These look accessible if I use the gates or fences but I don't want to be causing distress to landowners or worse still, landing up in court for trespass.

Thanks for your advice and help in advice!!

Jonny

Edited by jonnycouk

I looked at the 1st of the two caches mentioned, and this seems to be a case where local knowledge would help with navigation. No recent finder mentioned an access issue. Why not contact a recent finder or two and discuss your concerns - or contact the CO? The listing shows parking and suggests where to turn. Have you been to the parking area to see if whether or not things become clearer once you're there?

Near me there are some established public trails shown on local maps in what would otherwise appear to be privately owned suburban land.

I'm new to Geocaching - a month or so - and I'm keen on the remote Traditional Caches. I see them all over the place and some are a good trek away, letting me boot up and wander.

I live in the UK.

Some caches however seem to be "land locked" for want of a better term. I see some near to field edges with Bridleway's; all good. Some however are way inland, through several fields and appear to have been dropped by air!

I'm interested in hearing how others in England navigate to these caches successfully and without upsetting land owners. I am very conscious about just stomping through fields in case I'm trespassing. I see some fields appear to have pathways and breaks in hedge rows etc. on Google Maps but this isn't guaranteed to be the case in real life and despite reading up on Rights of Way, I'm still a little nervous and mindful I may inadvertently stray across land I have no right to.

Two caches I can give examples of are GC3YB5R and GCX2XW. These look accessible if I use the gates or fences but I don't want to be causing distress to landowners or worse still, landing up in court for trespass.

Jonny

One has to assume that one can use a right-of-way that is publicly accessible.

Read the cache descriptions.

Look for "parking" coordinates either as an additional waypoint or in the cache description.

https://coord.info/GC3YB5R Launton Laughs - Doctor Deterrent

https://coord.info/GCX2XW RAF RAIL

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

You might consider attending a local event, and getting advice from experienced cachers.

The thing about events is that you can't be shy. You have to introduce yourself, and say that you're a new cacher looking for help/advice.

https://coord.info/GC6ARJR BBH #103 Bordering on International Geocaching Day

Event Date: 08/20/2016

https://coord.info/GC6JW6D Midnight Meet for Munchies at the Monument IV

Event Date: 08/26/2016 (If this wasn't 5,600+ kms away from me and required air travel, I'd be all over this one.)

https://coord.info/GC6PHZX Thank You Ladies!

Event Date: 09/17/2016

B.

I live in the UK.

Jonny

Looking at your first cache quoted, whilst it is not shown as on a footpath on google maps, if you change the map option to open street map then a footpath is clearly shown on the map straight to the cache. I would use this mapping as your main guide.

I live in the UK.

Jonny

Looking at your first cache quoted, whilst it is not shown as on a footpath on google maps, if you change the map option to open street map then a footpath is clearly shown on the map straight to the cache. I would use this mapping as your main guide.

Same goes for the second one. Open street map default shows a permissive path straight to GZ.

Yes, the first one is on a public footpath, the second on a permissive path.

For finding caches in the countryside in the UK, good maps help. I have both OS and Open Street Maps loaded on my GPS. I prefer the 1:25K OS maps, but they don't have all the permissive paths. I like to take a paper map with me too.

Sometimes you will find an "unofficial" permissive path is used. This happened to me the other day, on a multi. There did not seem to be a path to the final coordinates on any of my maps. I was worried maybe I did the calculations wrong. But I found a well worn path that lots of locals were using to walk their dogs that led to the cache.

So in general; get good maps, and trust that there will be a path even if you don't see one. If you can't find a path you are comfortable taking, then abort and say that in your log.

Edited by redsox_mark

There's also a way of getting OS maps as an option on the main map on GC.com but I can't seem to find the thread on it on the message boards for some reason.

it's built into the good applications, and highlights foot paths, so taking the map with you is super easy. here is an example:

Screenshot_2016_08_19_06_30_32.png

Edited by ohgood

Thanks guys! All this has been a brilliant help. I just don't want to give Geocaching a bad name and to hack off landowners in the process.

I've bought Locus Pro (recommended above) and thanks to Google Rewards I had £5.81 credit there so it's cost me 18p!! Happy days!!

I'll give this a good trial this weekend. I've already asked a CO for advice on getting to some of their caches and I'm looking at Where's The Path. This is a pretty awesome site.

Thanks again guys... much appreciated! :D

She comes along sometimes - I think she likes the fresh air.

Don't all cache trails in England end somewhere near a pub? :D

What's the souvenir? Is it a virtual thing for finding a cache on International Geocaching Day?

Souvenirs are virtual bits of artwork. You already have one in your profile.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=272

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=792

You might want to go into your profile, and under "email preferences" tick the boxes to receive the weekly newsletter and "tips and tricks".

B.

Don't all cache trails in England end somewhere near a pub? :D

The OS map shows pubs too. You will see a blue beer mug on the map I posted earlier; not far from the parking....

Ah, geez, and I thought I was joking around.

Can you see anything on the map or is it just solid blue beer mugs?

:lol:

B.