What's up with all the unavailable caches around here?

Nurse Dave

I'm looking through the list of Portland area caches that are unavailable and reading the logs to see what happened to them. There are many that make no meantion as to why they are unavailable and many that state they are going to be replaced like in a week (when it was written months ago). I'm curious as to why a hider would make their cache unavailable without any explaination and when the people that said they were going to replace their cache are going to get out there and do it. There are some that looked like fun. icon_biggrin.gif

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

I've seen a few caches which the owner makes unavailable, goes out and grabs the container, takes it home, does maintenance on it, then replaces it a week later.

This process strikes me as very, very odd icon_smile.gif Is field maintenance that difficult to handle??

No idea if this is what is happening in Portland or not. The majority of caches out here don't do this, but there are a few...

I would be willing to bet that one of the caches you are taking about is my Whistle While you Cache

My excuse for not putting this back out can be summed up by the following reasons..

Death in the family, Birth in the family, Marrage in the family, and moving to Salem in the family, all within the last 8 months. Lets just say I have been a little pre-occupied as of late.

I recently came up with a new idea for a cache, and will begin construction soon (I am sure y'all will dig this one!!). WWYC will be back up when/if I get permission, but I see another cache was placed nearby recently, and I wonder if they got approval from the land owners. Anyway, Dont give up on me yet! Soup. icon_wink.gif

quote:
I recently came up with a new idea for a cache, and will begin construction soon (I am sure y'all will dig this one!!). WWYC will be back up when/if I get permission, but I see another cache was placed nearby recently, and I wonder if they got approval from the land owners.

Soup's burying caches again... just don't make it a micro, or you'll have Tungsten after you. You bummed me out when you didn't get POI back up and running last thanksgiving. We found everything else within a 10 mile radius. Come on!!! icon_smile.gif

"There are no stupid questions, but there a LOT of inquisitive idiots."

I have two temporarily archived caches. One is on the verge of reactivation and the other... I just can't bring myself to have a permanently archived cache. I guess the first time is always the most painful. I may get it reactivated - but it will be tough to get a container near the park without it being plundered again.

Also, I have another couple of caches in mind for placement soon.

Guilty, just not in your area. One of my caches was re-visted by a cacher who emailed me directly it was MIA. So I make it unavaialbe until I could check on it. Got the email the day I was leaving on a week long trip. The cache area was closed and so it had to wait until I could take some time and confirm the plundered status. 10 days later it was archived.

My other one still has a month to go. I don't want to archive it but I'm not going to reset it until I can do it in daylight and see what the heck I'm doing. It will take a little creativity to place a newer and more plunderproof cache.

Wherever you go there you are.

I'm guilty of this as well. I have three caches in the Priest Lake, Idaho area that have been temporarily disabled for months.

The problem is that I got word that these caches were missing late in the summer, when we were in the midst of shipping product at work and I couldn't get out of town. By the time I could, the snow had hit and buried the cache areas.

I have every intention of replacing these caches, but it will have to wait until spring thaw!

icon_geocachingwa.gif