I am new at all of this!

SantaJohn

I am new to all of this. I bought a Garmin Oregon 650T. I would like to know;

1) Do I have to load each Geocach one at a time?

2) Can I load more than one at a time?

3) I read something about a Pocket Query. Do I get to chose the geocaches that I want to load to my GPS?

I have a Garmin Oregon 650T.

Thank you for your help!

3) I read something about a Pocket Query. Do I get to chose the geocaches that I want to load to my GPS?

Thank you for your help!

Creating a PQ is what most people do to load multiple cache Listings at a time:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118

Since you are already a Premium Member (thank you), you already have access to this feature.

Thank you for your help!

You can load one file by clicking the "GPX File" button on any cache page, and saving it to the Garmin/GPX/ folder on the Oregon.

As mentioned, Pocket Queries are the way to go. Read the instructions, give it a try, and soon you'll get the hang of it. Pocket Queries are easy. You can load as many as 1000 caches per PQ (centered on your location, for example), and the 650T can hold many thousands of caches. Run a fresh Pocket Query for the most current info, load it and go!

You can also pick particular caches, and save them in Bookmark Lists: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=283

A Bookmark List can also me made into a Pocket Query.

There's much to learn, but it becomes easy with practice:

Download the GPX file from Geocaching.com. (For a zipped Pocket Query, unzip the file, and you should now have at least one “GPX” file.)

Plug the Garmin into the USB port of the computer.

Find the Garmin as a [DRIVE] or [storage device] and open it;

Therein, locate a file folder named something like Garmin/GPX/;

Click, drag and drop (or copy) the downloaded GPX file(s) to that [DRIVE]:Garmin/GPX/ folder.

Right-click and select Eject, unplug the Garmin;

Go Geocaching.

(From Gitchee-Gumee's excellent instructions)

So do I need to down load them to my computer first? If so I should make a file named Geocaching and put it in there?

Then do I need to make a file on my GPS so it will be installed there or just drop in in the GPS file on my Oregon650T and let it be there.

Like I said I am new to all of this and it feels like I am going in circles. LOL but I am trying and I am understanding a little. It is just things are not real clear in what I have read and I have not found any videos showing just how it is done. they stop just short of that.

Thank you for all of your help.

So do I need to down load them to my computer first? If so I should make a file named Geocaching and put it in there?

Then do I need to make a file on my GPS so it will be installed there or just drop in in the GPS file on my Oregon650T and let it be there.

Like I said I am new to all of this and it feels like I am going in circles. LOL but I am trying and I am understanding a little. It is just things are not real clear in what I have read and I have not found any videos showing just how it is done. they stop just short of that.

Thank you for all of your help.

Post #3...follow the directions, and click the links.

Help Center → Premium Membership

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=5

Help Center → Premium Membership → Benefits

1.3. Bookmark Lists

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=283

Home → Premium Membership

2. Pocket Queries

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=28

B.

Thank You everyone. I Finally got it to work. I made a folder on my desk top and named it GEOCaches. I then down loaded the file to there. Once I saw that it was there I finally got it to unzip. I was having problems with that working. I then plugged in my GPS and drug and dropped it in to the gpx folder. I unplugged my gps and looked and it is there! thank you for the help!

Thank You everyone. I Finally got it to work. I made a folder on my desk top and named it GEOCaches. I then down loaded the file to there. Once I saw that it was there I finally got it to unzip. I was having problems with that working. I then plugged in my GPS and drug and dropped it in to the gpx folder. I unplugged my gps and looked and it is there! thank you for the help!

That's a great plan! I often first download the files to the PC, then unzip and move them to the Garmin. If everything worked, I later delete the downloads.

Save/backup important files, such as custom waypoints (cache stages, or points you saved while scouting for a place to hide a cache, for example). But clean out that "GPX" folder once in a while. Delete the files, load new Pocket Queries. This fixes many strange Garmin issues.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it working! Good luck!

Edited by kunarion