Community Churches

Some settlements don't have enough people to form separate denominational churches. There are old or rural churches that are small and are labeled community churches. Also sometimes churches change over time, sometimes merging into a community church. There are some charming old churches that could be captured by this category especially if there is not enough documentation to make them this old church. These churches often do not have websites.

One thing to bear in mind - not all churches named "such-and-such Community Church" are non-denominational. i think many belong to some smaller denominations, while some are members of larger denominations, including those already represented by current categories. For example, I think most AGC (Associated Gospel Church) churches go by --- Gospel Church or --- Community Church. But there's really no convention, and I know of Baptist, Pentecostal and some other congregations meeting under the title of Community Church.

It's not always a matter of population size, in larger cities it might be a way to stand out or to maybe even put some distance between the denomination and the fellowship. Around here they all seems to want a feel-good name - Forestview Church, Mountainside Church, Lakeside Church, Lightway Church, etc etc. Even the Baptist church I attend leaves "Baptist" out of the name.

The only way to really know is to search their website or, if they don't have one, I guess you'll need to drop in for a Sunday service :)

Some settlements don't have enough people to form separate denominational churches. There are old or rural churches that are small and are labeled community churches. Also sometimes churches change over time, sometimes merging into a community church. There are some charming old churches that could be captured by this category especially if there is not enough documentation to make them this old church. These churches often do not have websites.

You might find a home for some of those in "Country Churches," I bet.