fractal

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

I've discovered something about our favorite little number... Apparently it's the key to unlocking something...

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/12985_3600.jpg

Teaser this weekend.. Cache in the near future..

icon_wink.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45? 30.ish

W 122? 58.ish

This whole idea of using pi as a key to unlocking something sounds irrational to me.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by bubble_luscious:

quote:
Originally posted by Kodak's4:

This whole idea of using pi as a key to unlocking something sounds irrational to me.

Whoaa Kodak's4. It is called a game. Chill.

He is actually making a math joke. A bad math joke, but a math joke nonetheless. Actually, now that I think about it, can one really joke about math?

quote:

quote:

Whoaa Kodak's4. It is called a game. Chill.

There's a set of numbers that can be represented as ratios of integers. Examples would be 22/7, or 1/4, or 27 (aka 27/1), or 98239846247/17743718728.

Such numbers are called 'rational numbers'

There's a set of numbers which cannot be represented as a ratio of integers.

Examples would be sqrt(2), and pi.

Get it? Pi is an irrational number. It's a joke. I posted it because I thought it was 'kinda funny'.

There are two kinds of jokes - funny ones and the other kind. I guess this was the other kind.

Sorry.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Oregon Cajuns:

He is actually making a math joke. A bad math joke, but a math joke nonetheless. Actually, now that I think about it, can one really joke about math?

Oh, come on.

Q: What's purple and commutes?

A: An Abelian grape.

I think that probably ALL math jokes are bad jokes.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:

I think that probably ALL math jokes are bad jokes.

Lemme try again:

A little boy needed help with a math problem. He first approached a mathamatician and asked "What is 9 divided by 2?

The mathamatician procedes to write out an equation and then digresses into a proof of pi's irrational and transcendental nature.

An hour into that, the boy gives up and approaches an engineer with the same question.

The engineer answers "9/2? Oh, it's around 4."

The boy then approaches an accountant with the same question, and the account leans over and whispers conspiratorially: "What you WANT 9/2 to be?"

ApK

And just for the record, I thought the irrational joke was funny icon_wink.gif

Ok.. With that out of the way, I now present to you the teaser for my Pi cache! (note: it's the first time I used my voice in a teaser, so I think it sounds kinda cheesy...but you get the idea)

Pi teaser in DivX format (less than 2MB)

As noted above, the teaser is compressed using the DiveX codec... Just so I don't lose anyone here, that means that it's an AVI file that is compressed using a different piece of software, and to view it properly, you will need to download and install the DivX software (FREE!) from the DivX website. There's even a version for Mac OS.

Once installed, you should be able to use your favorite media player program to view the file. Sorry if this causes any sort of problems for anyone, but it allows much higher quality videos with a smaller file size.

But then again, if you don't want to view the teaser, you don't have to install anything icon_wink.gif

Cache should be out within 3 weeks... I'm zeroing in on a spot to put it, and once I do that, I can finish the puzzle.

Without a doubt, I think this puzzle will prove that I am actually insane icon_biggrin.gif

-fractal

Well the teaser is AWESOME. If the cache is half as good it will be a classic. But if it is as tough to tackle as E2 you may have to have your looks surgically altered if you wish to stay in town... icon_wink.gif

Life is as much a journey of discovery, as it is a discovery of the journey...

**Namaste**

So Feb 13th, you should it'd be released w/in 3 weeks... we're waiting icon_wink.gif I've got a couple great places in mind if you still need 'em. We just can't get enough of your caches Fractal... call us gluttons for punishment.54293_500.gif

Hard work often pays off after time, but procrastination always pays off now.

Yeah.. so a little longer.. icon_wink.gif

I did choose a location, got coordinates, and began the puzzle... But, due to the unique way of getting to that location, I felt that I should contact the THPRD first... Kyle seemed to be 'ok' with it, but felt we should discuss it with someone higher up... That person felt that I should chose a different location in that park, and gave explainations as to why (I'll go into the details of that after I get the cache placed). I do understand their concerns, and I really want to make sure we continue to have a good relationship with the THPRD... So, I finally made it back to the park on Monday and scouted out new locations. Accuracy was horrible because I could only get a lock on 3 sats that were close together... I think the best I got was about 60 feet... With work keeping me way too busy lately (10 hour days.. AND they made me come in today!), I haven't had a chance to go get better numbers yet...

This cache WILL happen... It's just been hard to get the time to finish it properly... And trust me.. No one wants this thing finished more than me! icon_wink.gif

-fractal

So little Johnny is flunking math. His parents try everything and nothing helps. Finally in an act of desperation they enroll him in a Catholic school.

After the first day of school Johnny comes home heads to his room and does his math homework. This happens day after day and soon he’s getting an A in math.

His mom asks, “Why the improvement, nothing else helped”

Little Johnny says “When I got to school on my first day and they had that guy nailed to the plus sign I knew they meant business.”

Wherever you go there you are.