Chasing GZ

AustinMN

I have a method I've used from time to time that came in handy over the weekend.

We identified a cache of the correct type for the souvenir. It was one that we previously searched for but did not find. So when we got to the final, uh, now I remember why we didn't find it before.

Serious geobounce. The last time we looked for this cache was many years ago when we were just starting out. I should know how to overcome this. But of course I'm too smart to try that, I can find this one. But...um...lemme see...should be here...could be muggled...Hmmm...

Eventually I gave in, put my backpack down, put the GPS on it, and walked away. After a few minutes, I moved the backpack and GPS in the direction it claims the cache is hiding, and again walk away. Third time was a charm, with the GPS leading me directly to the only thing I'd seen that looked like the hint, and there was the cache. I've done this 10-15 times, and it seems to work best if you use a traditional GPS in map view with track logs turned on.

Eventually I gave in, put my backpack down, put the GPS on it, and walked away. After a few minutes, I moved the backpack and GPS in the direction it claims the cache is hiding, and again walk away. Third time was a charm, with the GPS leading me directly to the only thing I'd seen that looked like the hint, and there was the cache. I've done this 10-15 times, and it seems to work best if you use a traditional GPS in map view with track logs turned on.

If the signal bounces randomly enough around the true GZ, then eventually it should land you pretty close to the cache.

If the signal bounces randomly enough around the true GZ, then eventually it should land you pretty close to the cache.

Well, i'd say there's a good chance one of the bounces would get a person onto the cache. :P As far as the third being the charm, there's just as good a chance it might be the fiftieth. Many times, putting the gpsr down is a good move,, but not for getting a tracklog. Laying it down and actually letting your eyes and brain do the searching helps many times.

If there's a lot of bounce, I wouldn't be convinced that my GPSr was getting the true signal no matter where I put it. And, I have to admit, I normally assume that the CO got just as much bounce, so no matter how accurately I pin down GZ, there's no particular reason for me to think that's where he hid the cache. So if I see my GPSr swinging around wildly, I normally focus mostly on the hints.