How do I get a .gpx file loaded in my off line list like the old app?

hofy67

I never had a problem getting a pocket query file (gpx) to load in the old paid app.

How do I get one to load in the new free, only one available, app?

Thanks

Pocket Queries and Bookmark lists are in the "My Lists" area of the App:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=763

While viewing the lists, tap the icon to the right of one of them and select "Download Offline Data". The files load directly, without the need to "run" the Pocket Query.

OK let me rephrase this. I went to an event this past weekend. They publish 66 caches for the event and release them as a gpx file. How do I get that gpx file to load into My Lists so it will show up in this new app?

The Geocaching app does not support gpx files and there are no plans to add support for them

OK let me rephrase this. I went to an event this past weekend. They publish 66 caches for the event and release them as a gpx file. How do I get that gpx file to load into My Lists so it will show up in this new app?

You're in luck! (If I've figured out which Event you're asking about :ph34r:)

It has the 63 "regular caches" in a bookmark list: https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=d15bc823-1b22-411e-b323-4fbe23eeffa0

Make a PQ of that (or make a bookmark list of select caches), and it will then be available in the App. You don't even have to run a Pocket Query, just open or download the "List" into the App.

You can also add the 3 Lab Caches, if they're still available. I didn't check. Lab Caches tend to be a web site thing. But there are only three, so you could handle them with web bookmarks or something.

Edited by kunarion
The Geocaching app does not support gpx files and there are no plans to add support for them
But on the other hand, there are partner apps that do support GPX files, including some with free trials:

https://www.geocaching.com/mobile/partners/

I've kept a couple of Apps that load files that my Garmin GPSr does, and that work more or less like the Garmin, offline. This way, I know I have the same data on the GPSr that I have on the phone (which is my backup database). For iPhone I have Looking4Cache, and for Android I have "Locus Maps". They are both OK.

If the Official App loads "Lists" when the Pocket Query servers are down, that would be quite an advantage over trying to run a PQ. I don't know if it works like that, but I'll try it sometime and post the results.

Edited by kunarion
On 8/15/2016 at 12:04 PM, rocketgarden said:

Has this answer from two years ago changed?  Is it still not possible to load a gpx file via email into the Official App?

• Helpful 1
16 hours ago, K13 said:

Has this answer from two years ago changed?  Is it still not possible to load a gpx file via email into the Official App?

It hasn't changed.  The Official App works with The Web Site.  You can get cache info from Pocket Queries, Lists, or individual caches.  Coordinates outside of the site are typed manually.

3 hours ago, kunarion said:

It hasn't changed.  The Official App works with The Web Site.  You can get cache info from Pocket Queries, Lists, or individual caches.  Coordinates outside of the site are typed manually.

Thanks for the reply, even though it is not what I needed to hear.