Trackable Features

rragan

H,

Some feature thoughts to make trackables work better. The thoughts are largely around the app but could apply to the web page.

Having just taken a big bag of trackables on a long road trip, I'm thinking about ways to improve the experience for the holder and the TB owner.

For example,

I took a photo of my whole batch of TBs at the HQ geocache and at the three year 2000 finds. I added the pic to the cache log. What I wanted was a way to have the same picture uploaded to each TB in my inventory as part of adding the picture to the log. That way the TB owner gets a nice picture experience and the effort is so small I am inclined to post more pictures for TBs.

Also on subject of TBs. Anything to ease the management. Seeing the goal of each item in my inventory is tedious -- look at each and several clicks to reach the goal. Being able to see all the goals at once would let me quickly find the ones that wanted to go to X and hand off just those. One thought would be to have a screen that lists all the goals of all the trackables so I only have to scan down it. Alternatively, adding a user-defined tag for trackables would let me tag it once and filter on it later.

Batch log (e.g. Visit All) from the web page would save me a trip to the page post facto to take care of visiting a bunch in my possession.

Those are some thoughts on Trackables. I'm not sure what priority they merit as some people just don't mess with TBs while others enjoy them.

I'd like to see needed functions added/fixed on the app before features to a side-game of the hobby are added, thanks. :)

Also, I don't feel the site should make the actions of trackable hoarders easier (batch log), though I believe GSAK, or project-pc has a way.

I'd like them to work for their eccentricity a bit, since the rest of the players suffer with few trackables to find...

If someone can't fulfill, or even remember what their respective goals are, then they simply have too many in their possession. :)

I'd like to see needed functions added/fixed on the app before features to a side-game of the hobby are added, thanks. :)

Agreed. Many more features are needed in the new GS app before trackables should get any attention.

Also, I don't feel the site should make the actions of trackable hoarders easier (batch log), though I believe GSAK, or project-pc has a way.

I'd like them to work for their eccentricity a bit, since the rest of the players suffer with few trackables to find...

If someone can't fulfill, or even remember what their respective goals are, then they simply have too many in their possession. :)

I try not to hoard but I will grab some and squire them to exotic places consistent with their goal. I too have experienced the sad feeling of expecting TBs in a cache only to find none. I'd say it happens more often than not. I can't decide if this is due to muggles preying on a cache for goodies, kids taking them as swag, poor logging practices by those who pick them up or some trans-dimensional force stealing them. These days, I rarely leave a TB in a cache unless that is its goal. Instead, I pass them on at events to increase their lifespan and aid in their goals.

These days, I rarely leave a TB in a cache unless that is its goal. Instead, I pass them on at events to increase their lifespan and aid in their goals.

We had sucess with that for a while, then they suffered the same fate as many tb "hotels", and disappeared with no trace.

One event host actually has a volunteer oversee the trackable table. Sad it's come to that...

We're seeing the opposite (probably just for the Summer), with 2.5+ terrain caches having the best luck with trackables.

- Now if only we could get 'em logged correctly. :laughing:

Edited by cerberus1
These days, I rarely leave a TB in a cache unless that is its goal. Instead, I pass them on at events to increase their lifespan and aid in their goals.

We had sucess with that for a while, then they suffered the same fate as many tb "hotels", and disappeared with no trace.

One event host actually has a volunteer oversee the trackable table. Sad it's come to that...

We're seeing the opposite (probably just for the Summer), with 2.5+ terrain caches having the best luck with trackables.

- Now if only we could get 'em logged correctly. :laughing:

Too bad the dog tag can't be reengineered to have a QR code so an app would just need to scan it and log it. This would reduce mistyping and reduce friction in the logging process making it a bit more likely to happen. Smart phone needed but they are pretty common now.

Seeing the goal of each item in my inventory is tedious -- look at each and several clicks to reach the goal.

You have some interesting suggestions in the remainder of that paragraph, but...

Batch log (e.g. Visit All) from the web page would save me a trip to the page post facto to take care of visiting a bunch in my possession.

...trying to figure out if a TB has accomplished its goal has gotten very difficult because of scads of "visit" logs that people are doing.

Wading through tens of pages just to see where a TB was actually dropped off is no fun. I just deleted 21 pages of "visit" logs on one of our active TBs. When I get through with that TB the only logs will be actual handling, drops, grabs, discovers and if a cacher wants to visit it to just a few caches then that will be o.k.

I am no fan of multiple visits.

Seeing the goal of each item in my inventory is tedious -- look at each and several clicks to reach the goal.

You have some interesting suggestions in the remainder of that paragraph, but...

...trying to figure out if a TB has accomplished its goal has gotten very difficult because of scads of "visit" logs that people are doing.

Wading through tens of pages just to see where a TB was actually dropped off is no fun. I just deleted 21 pages of "visit" logs on one of our active TBs. When I get through with that TB the only logs will be actual handling, drops, grabs, discovers and if a cacher wants to visit it to just a few caches then that will be o.k.

I am no fan of multiple visits.

Thanks for opening my eyes. I just dug into the logs of one of my long traveling TBs. What a mess. Visits every .2, .35, .1 mile are crap and mess up the map to no end. I think I have a couple of resolutions.

1. Visiting for anything but a significant location change will not be done. It adds little mileage, the owner gets no feedback, I have to work harder, etc.

2. Choose quality over quantity. Hauling around 20TBs unless it is a very long journey and I plan to leave them at the other end is a waste of my time

3. All visited is a bad idea in general. If they travel a great distance, a drop/grab at least rewards the owner with feedback.