What to do when CO isn't replacing cache

I've visited this cache twice now and looked for a total of 45 minutes combined and the owners cache is no where to be found. There are almost 20 DNF's in the activity and would be more but people stopped visiting because why stop for a geocache that clearly isn't there. There are maintenance logs and an achieve log and the CO hasn't done anything. The first DNF was more than 1 year ago, but the CO profile said they were online a couple of months ago. It's a very nice area for a cache!!! I'd love to have a cache there. Is there anything I should or could do. Or should I just stop thinking about it.

I see that you've put 2 NA logs on the Listing already (a couple months apart), and the cache owner appears to be active (according to last log in stamp), so it would appear they are unresponsive to your NA logs and request to Adopt. Probably time to escalate to the local Reviewer if the CO is no longer interested in maintaining the cache or responding to requests to check or Adopt.

I've visited this cache twice now and looked for a total of 45 minutes combined and the owners cache is no where to be found. There are almost 20 DNF's in the activity and would be more but people stopped visiting because why stop for a geocache that clearly isn't there. There are maintenance logs and an achieve log and the CO hasn't done anything. The first DNF was more than 1 year ago, but the CO profile said they were online a couple of months ago. It's a very nice area for a cache!!! I'd love to have a cache there. Is there anything I should or could do. Or should I just stop thinking about it.

Do you mean an "archived" log or a "needs archived" log?

If it is a "needs archived" log, then when was it posted?

That should have been the trigger to have started something being done about the situation.

B.

I see that you've put 2 NA logs on the Listing already (a couple months apart), and the cache owner appears to be active (according to last log in stamp), so it would appear they are unresponsive to your NA logs and request to Adopt. Probably time to escalate to the local Reviewer if the CO is no longer interested in maintaining the cache or responding to requests to check or Adopt.

Shouldn't NA logs have already "escalated" it to the local Reviewer?

One would hope that there would be a Reviewer Note, if it was deemed unnecessary to archive the listing.

B.

If you're talking about this one, you already placed TWO Needs Archive on it, one in May, the last on the 11th of this month.

Not much more you can do.

Shouldn't NA logs have already "escalated" it to the local Reviewer?

One would hope that there would be a Reviewer Note, if it was deemed unnecessary to archive the listing.

B.

I was thinking a private message/email to the Reviewer, but yes, you are correct. Likewise, the OP could try emailing/messaging the cache owner directly. Maybe the cache notifications are ending up in a spam folder.

My take on this is that the NA in may should have been a NM. Because of this the reviewer may have let it slide. Our local reviewer would have placed a WN saying that the NA would would not be actioned unless there is a previous NM more than 30 days prior. The OP has the logged a NM and NA on the same day. Not good form IMO. Log the NM, wait 30 days THEN log the NA.

With all of those DNFs going back one year the cache should be disabled at least. The OP's first NA was 2.5 months ago. The reviewer could consider that the first NM. It got no response from the owner. Not disabling it because someone didn't follow the normal practice, without explaining what the normal expected practice is, seems unfair and confusing. It also slows the eventual archival which will open up this space so the OP can hide his own cache.

With all of those DNFs going back one year the cache should be disabled at least. The OP's first NA was 2.5 months ago. The reviewer could consider that the first NM. It got no response from the owner. Not disabling it because someone didn't follow the normal practice, without explaining what the normal expected practice is, seems unfair and confusing. It also slows the eventual archival which will open up this space so the OP can hide his own cache.

Cache archival shouldn't be expediated to open up a spot for someone else. The cache owner deserves a fair and reasonable amount of time to respond.

1471139898[/url]' post='5603131']
1471139079[/url]' post='5603128']

Cache archival shouldn't be expediated to open up a spot for someone else. The cache owner deserves a fair and reasonable amount of time to respond.

It shouldn't be expedited but delaying the process seems pointless. The DNFs going back a year and the NA posted 2.5 months ago seem like a considerable amount of time for the CO to respond. I'm not suggesting that the cache should be archived only that a reviewer disable would be useful. It may get the attention of the owner and help those who filter out caches that are disabled.

The cache owner should have responded to all the N/M's and DNF's in a fair and reasonable amount of time too. How many people wasted their time looking for an un-maintained cache? The reviewer should take this into consideration when determining the amount of time given the cache owner to resolve the problem before archiving.

How about knocking off one day for every DNF after the third one, and 1 week for every ignored Needs maintenance?

No, not expedited to open a spot. But from what i read here and on the cache page itself, the CO had plenty of time to address the issue. With all those DNFs, the reviewer should have temporarily disabled the cache back when the first NA came in. Then, if the CO didn't respond, it could be archived.

Not to start anything, but it sounds like the Reviewer needs a fire lit under them as well!

No, not expedited to open a spot. But from what i read here and on the cache page itself, the CO had plenty of time to address the issue. With all those DNFs, the reviewer should have temporarily disabled the cache back when the first NA came in. Then, if the CO didn't respond, it could be archived.

It is a bit unusual that the reviewer didn't act on the first NA even if it was a little ham-fisted to post it without an NM first.

When the reviewer does take a look I would expect that there will still be the usual time period before the cache is finally archived. A missing cache isn't an emergency no matter how badly someone else wants the spot.

I'm guessing the reviewer is just ignoring the guidelines and is allowing someone to place a throwdown to maintain this cache listing.

I'm not really sure why reviewers are slacking lately with Needs Archived, but I can say that I have noticed it. Maybe they are not getting the email alerts, or maybe there is a reason that Needs Archived and Needs Maintenance is no longer supported on the app. :(

I'm guessing the reviewer is just ignoring the guidelines and is allowing someone to place a throwdown to maintain this cache listing.

I'm not really sure why reviewers are slacking lately with Needs Archived, but I can say that I have noticed it. Maybe they are not getting the email alerts, or maybe there is a reason that Needs Archived and Needs Maintenance is no longer supported on the app. :(

:o

https://coord.info/GC3Z41W

Reno8

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 3371

Found it

08/21/2016

N 43° 15.861 W 072° 35.430

Knew this one was missing going in so i brought a replacement container with me. Great area that is deserving of a cache. I ended up zeroing out in the street and didn't really see any thing that matched the hint nearby so I left a matchstick container in a spot that should be accessible to all cachers. The bounce here is real bad but I will add coordinates that will hopefully get you a smiley in my log. Hopefully the CO will be able to get out and check it soon.

Wow, wow, wow!!!!

That is not "finding" a cache. That's a throwdown, and at different coordinates than the published coordinates.

That's a black eye for geocaching, and a really bad example to set for the new cachers.

Why isn't the Reviewer at least disabling this thing?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Yeah, kinda weird that a poster here of all people threw down a replacement, even though, "I ended up zeroing out in the street and didn't really see any thing that matched the hint nearby so I left a matchstick container in a spot that should be accessible to all cachers".

No idea where it belongs, but here's a new one...

Well, wasn't that nice of him. :laughing:

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=427

4.11. Throwdowns - How to handle them

A throwdown is when a geocacher places a new geocache container when the previous geocache is missing or cannot be found. Throwdowns are placed so the geocacher can log a find on a geocache that they couldn't find and suspect is missing.

Geocaches should never be replaced without the permission of the geocache owner as this frequently leads to multiple containers at the location and disputes about whether you found the "real" container and are entitled to log a find.

Our policy is that geocache owners are responsible for maintenance, so as soon as they are aware of throwdowns, the physical geocache should be checked and if it is still there, the throwdown geocache should be removed. If this is not done, there will be no way for geocachers to be sure they are finding the correct geocache container. If subsequent find logs indicate multiple or inconsistent containers, it can often be a sign that a maintenance visit by the geocache owner has not taken place. In these cases, it is reasonable for the geocache owner to allow finds of the throwdown to be logged online as found because the finder generally cannot determine whether they found a throwdown instead of the original container. The original geocacher who placed the throwdown does not have a strong claim to log the geocache online as found.

Pup Patrol, I agree with your earlier post and I I have this cache on my watch list. So when I saw that someone replaced the cache,not even in the correct spot, without CO permission or something. That doesn't seem like they should be able to say "found it" (anyone can throw down a cache and say found it). I wish the CO would do something, even though they are supposedly active, there have been DNF's for a year, but the reviewer doesn't seem to care. I wish something would happen...

Edited by VTMountainBiker

Reno8

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 3371

Found it

08/21/2016

Knew this one was missing going in so i brought a replacement container with me. Great area that is deserving of a cache. I ended up zeroing out in the street and didn't really see any thing that matched the hint nearby so I left a matchstick container in a spot that should be accessible to all cachers. The bounce here is real bad but I will add coordinates that will hopefully get you a smiley in my log. Hopefully the CO will be able to get out and check it soon.

Wow, wow, wow!!!!

That is not "finding" a cache. That's a throwdown, and at different coordinates than the published coordinates.

That's a black eye for geocaching, and a really bad example to set for the new cachers.

B.

Wow indeed. ohmy.gif

Since Reno8 participates in the forums I hope he is reading this and removes his "found" log. He did not find the cache.

But unless he removes the cache, it is now saved from archival and the owner has learned something.....wait long enough and someone will replace your cache. The CO may be inspired to plant more set-em-and-forget-em caches since throwdowns appear to be sanctioned (assuming that the reviewer allows the throwdown to stand).

Reno8

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 3371

Found it

08/21/2016

Wow, wow, wow!!!!

B.

Wow indeed. ohmy.gif

Since Reno8 participates in the forums I hope he is reading this and removes his "found" log. He did not find the cache.

But unless he removes the cache, it is now saved from archival and the owner has learned something.....wait long enough and someone will replace your cache. The CO may be inspired to plant more set-em-and-forget-em caches since throwdowns appear to be sanctioned (assuming that the reviewer allows the throwdown to stand).

Exactly!!!

Reno8

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 3371

Found it

08/21/2016

Wow, wow, wow!!!!

B.

Wow indeed. ohmy.gif

I'd think the CO would at least have to "fix" the coordinates (or not...) to keep this one in play, as that throwdowner didn't even know where GZ is.

And said so.

:laughing:

Reno8

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 3371

Found it

08/21/2016

Wow, wow, wow!!!!

B.

Wow indeed. ohmy.gif

I'd think the CO would at least have to "fix" the coordinates (or not...) to keep this one in play, as that throwdowner didn't even know where GZ is.

And said so.

I agree. The situation would have been whole lot easier if the reviewer stepped in. (Hopefully still will)

I hate the idea of throwdowns.

Reno8

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 3371

Found it

08/21/2016

Wow, wow, wow!!!!

B.

Wow indeed. ohmy.gif

And said so.

I agree. The situation would have been whole lot easier if the reviewer stepped in. (Hopefully still will)

I hate the idea of throwdowns.

If I had posted two NA's on a unmaintained listing being replaced with a TD and new coordinates, I would be in direct contact with the local reviewer asking lot's of why questions. Maybe there is a real issue about reviewers getting their email too lately, or some other problem in the system. Maybe they are lazy, maybe they think you muggle the cache and want to place one of your own there. :blink: There has to be a reason that the reviewer has ignored you NA request.

It is a three difficulty. I would not expect to find it on a first or even a third visit.

"Almost gave up on this one"

"Very well hidden."

"So I finally returned to make this find after logging a DNF on it a few months ago"

"Tough one but I FOUND IT"

These quotes from previous logs and the fact that there is a history of DNF's then finds afterwards, along with no notes of previous finders being unable to re-find it (Except one find from the CO, strange!); based on all of that, I would give this one a search. It certainly appears to need owner intervention, but I am not privy to any communication that may have occurred between the reviewer and the CO. Oh, and the throwdown log is ridiculous! :blink:

I see a lot more of the I have to clear my "zone of death" even if I have to get a cache archived to do it attitude lately. Can't be good for the game unless you like lots of LPC's. :ph34r:

Edited by fendmar

I messaged the local reviewer, hopefully he can help the situation. But If I don't hear anything from the reviewer, I might go look for the original cache. The throw down still urks me.

That person asked what cache a couple others were referring to in another thread.

A link was provided.

The "throwdown" log isn't on that cache now...

I messaged the local reviewer, hopefully he can help the situation. But If I don't hear anything from the reviewer, I might go look for the original cache. The throw down still urks me. ��

That person asked what cache a couple others were referring to in another thread.

A link was provided.

The "throwdown" log isn't on that cache now...

Nice to hear.

Hopefully Reno8 will go back and remove the container. The next person who visits will post a find. It may look like the cache was actually there and resurfaced.

Nice to hear.

Hopefully Reno8 will go back and remove the container. The next person who visits will post a find. It may look like the cache was actually there and resurfaced.

Doubt it. Emphasis mine:

[snip] Now I'm on vacation with my family and replace a missing cache that's in a really cool spot that my kids loved. All I wanted to do was bring other people here and hoped they enjoyed the spot as much as me and my kids did. That's it! Now you guys basically crucify me for trying to do what I thought was a good thing. It was not my intention to be malicious to the reviewer or the co. I have the utmost respect for any of the reviewers as they are all volunteers. I deleted my log from the cache in question and you will never see another post from me again on this forum again. I'm truly sorry for any and all the controversy I may have caused. I wish you all the best. God bless

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=340895&view=findpost&p=5605074

on vacation, throwdown, new coordinates...when really it was a DNF. And then self-righteous indignation when caught. Okey dokey.

Throwdown log is gone, but is the throwdown container still there?

Still wondering why the Reviewer hasn't posted something on the cache page.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I mean I get why he would wanna do a throw down to help others out and have them come to the spot because it is a good area, but there's gotta be some communication either between CO or reviewer. Idk i see both sides really. Replacing it while on Vacation part is weird though.

on vacation, throwdown, new coordinates...when really it was a DNF. And then self-righteous indignation when caught. Okey dokey.

Throwdown log is gone, but is the throwdown container still there?

Still wondering why the Reviewer hasn't posted something on the cache page.

B.

Given the vacation aspect, I doubt this geocacher intends to take responsibility by removing the throwdown.

It's a real pity that the game has drifted so far from its core values that throwdowns are now considered the right thing to do. What is the point in hiding a challenging cache when anyone can just toss a pill bottle on the ground and claim a find instead? Why bother with maintenance when you can rely on the numbers hounds to cough up some garbage replacement any time there's a DNF?

This isn't the game I signed up for.

I mean I get why he would wanna do a throw down to help others out and have them come to the spot because it is a good area, but there's gotta be some communication either between CO or reviewer. Idk i see both sides really. Replacing it while on Vacation part is weird though.

Would it still be a throwdown if the CO subsequently approved of the replacement container?

Is it still a throwdown if the person replacing the container doesn't log it as found?

Cache owners can certainly team up to help each other with maintenance. This requires communication in advance. When someone replaces or repairs a cache on behalf of a cache owner (i.e. with their permission), it isn't a throwdown. A throwdown is a container placed by someone who couldn't find the cache but wants to claim the find anyway.

This will be my last post on this forum. The only reason I put a "throwdown" at this spot was because of the unique features this area has to offer. If it was on a guard rail I would not have replaced it. It was Not because I couldn't find it was because it is not there to be found. There has been DNF's logged for over a year and NA logged as well. I just wanted caches who are visiting the area to see the uniques features nearby which is why this cache was placed here in the first place. I have no problems logging DNF's if I can't find a cache; I don't just throwdown another container if I can't find the cache. That would be ridiculous. I feel like some of you just think I wanted a smiley so I just threw down a container and logged it as found. That's not true. Maybe I should have just wrote a note instead of a found it log. For that I didn't use good judgement but who are we to judge anyway. All I wanted to do is bring some cachers and their families to the area to see the unique features this cache was originally placed for. That's it! Hopefully the "proper" people will take care of it because cachers coming to the area are going to skip this cache because it appears to be missing and miss out on some very unique stuff. I will once again apologize to every one.

Fyi: I also removed the throwdown so everybody can relax now.

That is fantastic.

Now it falls back on the cache owner to do maintenance. Maintenance is likely not going to happen in this case, but the archival process can continue unfettered. Once archived the OP can enjoy ownership in this nice location.

The problem that now remains... why isn't the reviewer disabling the cache and starting the archival process?

Would it still be a throwdown if the CO subsequently approved of the replacement container?

Yes, it's still a throwdown but the CO approved it after the fact.

There are some COs that do this, wait for someone to throwdown a cache then thank them for doing it.

Not good for the game because it affects the rest of the pastime with more throwdowns, more COs who never maintain their caches, and spots never open up giving someone who is more responsible and chance to hide a cache.

I have witnessed reviewers who will continue to disable a cache after a CO enables a throwdown. They ask that the cache owner check the throwdown cache and post an OM before enabling their cache.

Is it still a throwdown if the person replacing the container doesn't log it as found?

Yes.

But at least the practice might be almost eliminated if people couldn't/didn't count their throw downs as a find. There's very little incentive if there's no smiley.

Edited by L0ne.R

This will be my last post on this forum. The only reason I put a "throwdown" at this spot was because of the unique features this area has to offer.

I think you may have missed the original post on this forum thread. The OP said "It's a very nice area for a cache!!! I'd love to have a cache there."

He would like to hide his own cache there. When a throw down is placed, there is little chance that someone else will get to be a cache owner at the nice spot.

And it encourages other cache owners to set em and forget em. As a finder when it turns out that I found a throwdown it feels like my find isn't legitimate. I found "a" cache, but not the cache owner's cache. I want to thank a hider for being responsible and for providing a good cache experience. I want to be part of a pastime that encourages responsible cache ownership, not geolitter, or abandoned listings. A cache should have an active owner who takes care of the container and listing.

This will be my last post on this forum. The only reason I put a "throwdown" at this spot was because of the unique features this area has to offer. If it was on a guard rail I would not have replaced it. It was Not because I couldn't find it was because it is not there to be found. There has been DNF's logged for over a year and NA logged as well. I just wanted caches who are visiting the area to see the uniques features nearby which is why this cache was placed here in the first place. I have no problems logging DNF's if I can't find a cache; I don't just throwdown another container if I can't find the cache. That would be ridiculous. I feel like some of you just think I wanted a smiley so I just threw down a container and logged it as found. That's not true. Maybe I should have just wrote a note instead of a found it log. For that I didn't use good judgement but who are we to judge anyway. All I wanted to do is bring some cachers and their families to the area to see the unique features this cache was originally placed for. That's it! Hopefully the "proper" people will take care of it because cachers coming to the area are going to skip this cache because it appears to be missing and miss out on some very unique stuff. I will once again apologize to every one.

In the future, in a situation like this, the proper course of action is to allow the neglected cache to be archived so a responsible cache owner can step in with a new one. If the site is truly unique and interesting, it won't take long.

This will be my last post on this forum. The only reason I put a "throwdown" at this spot was because of the unique features this area has to offer.

I think you may have missed the original post on this forum thread. The OP said "It's a very nice area for a cache!!! I'd love to have a cache there."

He would like to hide his own cache there. When a throw down is placed, there is little chance that someone else will get to be a cache owner at the nice spot.

And it encourages other cache owners to set em and forget em. As a finder when it turns out that I found a throwdown it feels like my find isn't legitimate. I found "a" cache, but not the cache owner's cache. I want to thank a hider for being responsible and for providing a good cache experience. I want to be part of a pastime that encourages responsible cache ownership, not geolitter, or abandoned listings. A cache should have an active owner who takes care of the container and listing.

I really don't care whether or not it's me that places a cache there, I just wanna see someone who can maintain the cache because it is a nice area and I happen to live near by. I could very well maintain a cache there, but it doesn't need to be me.

What you say doesn't really match what you did. Fact is, you brought a new container with you. You went to a location that obviously had a number of DNFs. Adding those two together means to me that there was clear intent to get a smiley even if the cache wasn't there.

Sorry...that's just how I read it.

What you say doesn't really match what you did. Fact is, you brought a new container with you. You went to a location that obviously had a number of DNFs. Adding those two together means to me that there was clear intent to get a smiley even if the cache wasn't there.

Sorry...that's just how I read it.

I'll also add that the "this will be my last post" thing is a bit silly. We all do silly things, things that maybe aren't a great idea or make others mad. Learn from it and move on. Taking your ball and going home just sort of makes you look a bit like a sore sport.