Good Spots To Place Travel Bug Hotels

I've never hidden a Travel Bug Hotel but I've logged a few and know where a number of others are in the regions I cache in.

The travel bug hotels around here are generally hidden close to the main highways -- that way folks who are driving longer distances can move the trackables further. I've even seen a few that are hidden right at rest stops. These seem to work well.

Similar observations to narcissa, the few trackable "hotels" that we've seen had numerous issues with trackables missing, because they were so easy to access.

We've also noted that hoarders frequent these things, so a trackable "hotel" is the last place I'd ever think to drop one.

Any cache larger than micro can accept trackables...

Good luck with your idea. :)

Edited by cerberus1

This ^^^

Almost all TB Hotels that I've found, that are older then a month, had no TBs in it.

Hide a watertight regular or large (1L capacity or larger) cache and there's a good chance that TBs will be dropped off regularly.

Similar observations to narcissa, the few trackable "hotels" that we've seen had numerous issues with trackables missing, because they were so easy to access.

We've also noted that hoarders frequent these things, so a trackable "hotel" is the last place I'd ever think to drop one.

Good luck with your idea. :)

I have a couple of TBs in circulation that at least a regular sized cache. But for the most part you are right. Some of the best tb hotels I've come across are in the front yards of cachers. Usually a retired couple who cache and use the hotel to chat up other cachers that come by. Those types seem to be the safest places that I've come across.

I have one less than 1 mile off a major interstate. Easy off easy on. It's at the end of a culdasac so It normally gets plowed during the winter. I've found the key is not to put the words "Travel Bug Hotel" anywhere in the name of the cache. If it's a large cache and not to far off the beeten path people will find it and use it to pick up and drop off travelers.

I recently placed a huge TB nesting box off exit 32 of I-75 in south GA. I made it a puzzle cache. You can read what I done on its page. (https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6P9H4_bird-houses-of-cook-county-travel-bug-nesting-box?guid=2edcc0eb-4328-4daa-aa41-e82adb60b006)

Basically, I made it so that you have to drive down a road (5 miles) that runs through the countryside between the 2 exits (exit 37 and exit 32) and search for bird houses (4) with numbers on the bottom of them (very colorful and easy to find). You then take those 4 numbers and access the "TB Nesting Box" (huge wood duck box) located at a campground off of exit 32. I loaded the "nesting box" with a bunch of TBs and Geocoins that I've found on my travels, and have yet to have one go missing (remember that this is still a new cache).

I have a "TB Departure Lounge". It is in a nice park that almost no one visits, near the airport, walking distance from hotels. Perfect location.

https://coord.info/GC2T8G2

I used that name as TB hotels often end up being TB jails.

On a seperate note, it would be nice if there was some way to filter the "view past trackables" list to remove 'tracking' trackables (i.e. only show trackables that were 'dropped off', not 'visited').

Edited by Andronicus

All the best kept hotels I've found have padlocks on them.

There is a real nice one in my town that is in the cities visitors bureau. There is a small foyer with a door that is open 24/x to the outside and during regular business hours there is a desk that is staffed but otherwise the inside door is locked to most of the building. However, the TB hotel is located in the foyer and looks like an official part of the visitors bureau.

g0PGYwc.png

Edited by NYPaddleCacher