Where are you from?

skydiver

I've been watching this forum for a while and notice that a great majority of the posters are all from Oregon (or so it seems). I find it hard to believe that Oregon has the only active geocachers in the NW, so let's find out where everyone else is from.

Note: Apparently the polls only allow for five possible options, so I had to consolidate a couple.

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

Montana....I am in the Missoula area and work with Skydiver and another geocacher. There does not seem to be too many other cachers in the area, though. I think some of the other folks who were geocaching in this area earlier in the spring were students, and they have probably gone elsewhere for the summer. Hopefully other players will come to Missoula for the summer.

quote:
Originally posted by bellemanda:

I am moving to Livingston, MT. I am wondering what kinda geocaching community is up there. Is it all Lone-Wolf or are you as social and the Oregon/Washington crowd?

You'll be near Bozeman, and they definitely have a few cachers, so hoplefully one of them will pipe up here with an answer for you. Here in Missoula, we're still a young group so haven't had much time to find each other yet. I know almost half of the active cachers in the area, but I already knew them before we all started caching so .....

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

I've been watching this forum for a while and notice that a great majority of the posters are all from Oregon (or so it seems). I find it hard to believe that Oregon has the only active geocachers in the NW, so let's find out where everyone else is from.

Here in Missoula, Montana we've been able to more than double the number of caches hidden over the past two months and will probably continue to grow fast. There are a few lurkers out there as well as a few very active folks and a few newbies lately. In the vicinity of Missoula we had about one-eighth of all Montana caches last time I checked, so we're doing okay.

Anyone here on the forums from elsewhere in Montana, especially Bozeman, Butte/Helena/GreatFalls or the Glacier/Flathead aeas? There are a lot of caches in those areas, too.

quote:
Originally posted by Rye_and_Leigh:

Anyone here on the forums from elsewhere in Montana, especially Bozeman, Butte/Helena/GreatFalls or the Glacier/Flathead aeas? There are a lot of caches in those areas, too.

Yah, let's put our hands together for those slackers in Billings with 3 whole caches! icon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding. At least there's someone there doing it.

quote:
Originally posted by Rye_and_Leigh:

Yah, let's put our hands together for those slackers in Billings with 3 whole caches! icon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding. At least there's someone there doing it.

I am quite new at geocaching, but I just got my first cache approved and posted today.

I am in southwest Washington, near the I-5 corridor. From what I can see, I am the only cacher in this area so far. My wife and I are going out today to plan our second cache. I have plans for trying to encourage locals to try the game/sport/pastime/.... out. My games will probably all have an orienteering version for those without GPS receivers. If I can be clever enough, I will also work on county library games, and school games (elementary and high).

BTW, just for your information: There is a cache south of here at an I-5 rest stop (southbound). On the news this morning it was announced that there was a murder/suicide committed at the northbound rest stop. No. Not connected. Just somewhat newsworthy.

RobertLG

quote:

---

I think you've got some slightly faulty logic there, equating posting on the forums with being active geocachers.

I would say that the Washingtonians are too busy getting out there and caching to spend tons of time chatting on forums..... icon_wink.gif

Cheers!

LindaLu

quote:

---

I think you've got some slightly faulty logic there, equating posting on the forums with being active geocachers.

I would say that the Washingtonians are too busy getting out there and caching to spend tons of time chatting on forums..... icon_wink.gif

Cheers!

LindaLu

Born in upstate NY (Syracuse)

Lived most of my life in the Washington, D.C. metro area (northern VA)

Moved to Portland, OR area in '96

Will likely be heading to the Phoenix, AZ vicinity sometime in the next few years.

After that, anyones guess

-

Im originally from Ontario Canada, but I've lived here for 25 years now, so this is home. I live in Missoula and attend the U of M. I found GeoCaching by a freak web browsing accident.....

I was checking out The Gadgeteer and they mentioned WilWheaton.net (of startrek fame) and I had to go check it out, being that I am a Trek fan. On his site he mentioned Geocaching with his family and I said "What is Geocaching" and Clicked his link to this site. Found 7 so far and have many more to go icon_smile.gif My friends and I hid one this week and just have to post it. (Our first) And I know of 2 people in the area who love to race to new caches so it will be fun to see the action when we post it.

Keep on Caching!

Im originally from Ontario Canada, but I've lived here for 25 years now, so this is home. I live in Missoula and attend the U of M. I found GeoCaching by a freak web browsing accident.....

I was checking out The Gadgeteer and they mentioned WilWheaton.net (of startrek fame) and I had to go check it out, being that I am a Trek fan. On his site he mentioned Geocaching with his family and I said "What is Geocaching" and Clicked his link to this site. Found 7 so far and have many more to go icon_smile.gif My friends and I hid one this week and just have to post it. (Our first) And I know of 2 people in the area who love to race to new caches so it will be fun to see the action when we post it.

Keep on Caching!

icon_biggrin.gif I'm on the Olympic Peninsula in WA state and just heard about the beauty of geocaching a couple of weeks ago. There seem to be quite a few sites in my zone, but then a lot of them are virtual. Even the "real treasure" caches don't seem to be visited that often though. I scored a geocoin that was left several weeks before, on a cache we found last weekend. What a cool find!

P.S. I started a chat room in MSN for "Pacific Northwest Geocachers"! Come join me and visit awhile and lend me some of your experience! Woo Hoo!

icon_biggrin.gif I'm on the Olympic Peninsula in WA state and just heard about the beauty of geocaching a couple of weeks ago. There seem to be quite a few sites in my zone, but then a lot of them are virtual. Even the "real treasure" caches don't seem to be visited that often though. I scored a geocoin that was left several weeks before, on a cache we found last weekend. What a cool find!

P.S. I started a chat room in MSN for "Pacific Northwest Geocachers"! Come join me and visit awhile and lend me some of your experience! Woo Hoo!

quote:
Originally posted by msnewleaf:

I just searched for this and couldn't find it. You might also want to look at yahoo groups. This is the link to that site.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??