Cache containers

amber1997

For those who enjoy finding regular sized cache boxes, are you particular how you present the swag you place, either in your own boxes, or the items you swap?

If it's a nice signature item that people may prefer to find intact, I place mine in individual little plastic ziplock bags, sometimes with an info card. The ziplock bag keeps the item from being too badly banged up for a while, but I was surprised to find that it in no way prevents the item from getting soaking wet (and then never really drying out again, since it's in a bag). I've considered using vacuum-sealed bags, but I've never heard of anyone testing that on swag for caches.

I use zip locks myself, but they aren't foolproof. Here in Guernsey, we still trade...and because we are a small community, most people...even those with children are respectful of the swag. Likewise, if the box is full of wet garbage, we leave nothing.

Edited by amber1997

What everyone said above me.

• Baggie the swag
    • I'm hoping that it will stay in reasonably good condition for a month and will hopefully be picked up and kept by then

[*]I do not leave my swag in boxes full of wet garbage (or caches that show signs of leakiness)

I also label my swag. I staple on a baggie label. I just recently saw one of my swag items (handpainted lucky penny) on Pinterest. It was still in the baggie with the stapled label but the staple was rusty. Do they make staples that don't rust?

• Baggie the swag
    • I'm hoping that it will stay in reasonably good condition for a month and will hopefully be picked up and kept by then

[*]I do not leave my swag in boxes full of wet garbage (or caches that show signs of leakiness)

I also label my swag. I staple on a baggie label. I just recently saw one of my swag items (handpainted lucky penny) on Pinterest. It was still in the baggie with the stapled label but the staple was rusty. Do they make staples that don't rust?

You may b able to buy brass ones at a little more cost. I make finger puppets and monster pals with beach pebbles...but labelling sounds a great idea.

• Baggie the swag

So cool to see your SWAG turn up! My friend often leaves suicide awareness bracelets with a little card giving the web address where she details the journey she took when she lost her son. A woman found one of the bracelets and posted a pic on the site with a thank you for the bracelet. The bracelets simply say "You are Loved" with the web address on the inside.

Do you Find that some people put trash in the boxes? I'd rather leave nothing than leave trash.

Yes and yes. If I am on my mountain bike I will pack the junk out by sticking it in the outside pocket of my camelback. If I'm on the road bike then, unfortunately, it stays.

We do similarly...we also wipe out wet boxes and try and tidy things up...in respect for other players.

One of the (many) reasons I rarely cache with others is CITO and cache clean up.

Most just want to sign the log (blinders on), and on-to-the-next.

I take up too much time. :)

- Though cache help for others (to me) is a temp thing only for an active CO, as most of the "other players" there before me didn't really seem to care about the cache's condition...

Guess YMMV.

Some of these replies hit on another issue that is related, but not obviously so. I see a lot of complaints about Lamp Post Caches (LPC's) or guard rail caches. Sonny Portacio of Podcachers, for example, makes no secret of his disdain. But they are so numerous for several reasons, one of which is that they have the advantage of keeping the log and the swag dry. Even LPCs can hold a reasonable amount of swag if the right size and shape container is used, and I've seen guard rail hide containers that qualify as large. They also protect the various things people attach to TBs or other trackables from the elements. I hide some micros, including LPCs, that are not intended for swag but when I hide a larger cache I do take into account whether the weather can do harm to the contents. Other than that, though, in general I do not consider the container itself of any interest except in the rarest of cases. I see many caches that are just bison tubes in a hole in a chunk of wood or a pine cone and that gets 5 fav points. Really? Or maybe it's got a toy bunny glued to it and it gets 10. Other than its functionality, a container is just a container to me.

I see a lot of complaints about Lamp Post Caches (LPC's) or guard rail caches. ... But they are so numerous for several reasons, one of which is that they have the advantage of keeping the log and the swag dry.

Lamp skirts are no guarantee of keeping the log dry. I've found many a wet log in an LPC. Even managed to find a wet skirtlifter log in El Paso once.

When water runs down the pole, it easily runs straight into the gap between the skirt and the pole.

Lamp skirts keep caches directly out of the rain. Good containers can keep logs dry in those circumstances. But bad containers are almost always going to allow in water if they get wet.

I don't think LPCs are numerous because they are potentially more weatherproof. I think they're numerous because they're an easy way to hide a cache. (More to the point, I think of them more as a lazy way to hide a cache, but I make no secret of not preferring them.)

Edited by hzoi

Hi Im just starting out on caching and want to create some new ones in my area. How often are the containers taken? I found some waterproof ones at walmart in the sporting goods section they are different sizes and thought of using those but dont want to have to replace them all the time because it could get expensive, but the items wouldnt get wet. Just wondering! Thanks guys.

Hi Im just starting out on caching and want to create some new ones in my area. How often are the containers taken? I found some waterproof ones at walmart in the sporting goods section they are different sizes and thought of using those but dont want to have to replace them all the time because it could get expensive, but the items wouldnt get wet. Just wondering! Thanks guys.

I don't think most place caches expecting them to be taken. :D

- But longevity (I believe) has more to do with location, and cache type.

A cache off a trail in a good-sized park might do better than a micro near a park n ride, but not as well as a lengthy multi, three miles into the woods kinda thing. :)

Hopefully they wont get taken. Hide them carefully. Should make a nice cache.