Question re Cache Approvals

3funboys

Hi there, is this the right forum to post in? Are new cache mods/admins able to make exceptions to the 160m rule if there is a good enough reason to do so? We are in an urban area with few locations to place caches, almost all are nanos or very small. I have been given opportunity to place a container cache on the site of a family attraction (free admission). Only problem is there is already a cache at a nearby church/park about 75m away. This would not bother cachers one bit as both locations are different, but I wondered if it would be allowed? Thanks

Hi there, is this the right forum to post in? Are new cache mods/admins able to make exceptions to the 160m rule if there is a good enough reason to do so? We are in an urban area with few locations to place caches, almost all are nanos or very small. I have been given opportunity to place a container cache on the site of a family attraction (free admission). Only problem is there is already a cache at a nearby church/park about 75m away. This would not bother cachers one bit as both locations are different, but I wondered if it would be allowed? Thanks

Obviously, Groundspeak Headquarters could make any exception they choose to. I will say with an absolute certainty approaching zero, the odds that your situation would ever get approved is ABSOLUTELY NOT. Your situation is not unique. Your reasoning is not valid.

The best advice you will get is that you can use your location as a NON PHYSICAL STAGE that could be used to interpret existing information that will direct cachers to an open area, free of any proximity issues.

They're promoted as guidelines, not rules, and down to the reviewer to decide.

Exceptions ARE made and caches are published that are closer than 0.1mi, but these tend to be where there is a significant physical barrier - such as a river or canyon. Afraid it's very unlikely "Area too full" is a good enough excuse.

If you are feeling exceptionally optimistic, you could nicely ask that owner who's cache is close enough to cause you problems if they would consider archiving it to clear the space for you, but they are under no obligation to do so. The only option if they don't is to wait patiently...

They're promoted as guidelines, not rules, and down to the reviewer to decide.

Exceptions ARE made and caches are published that are closer than 0.1mi, but these tend to be where there is a significant physical barrier - such as a river or canyon. Afraid it's very unlikely "Area too full" is a good enough excuse.

If you are feeling exceptionally optimistic, you could nicely ask that owner who's cache is close enough to cause you problems if they would consider archiving it to clear the space for you, but they are under no obligation to do so. The only option if they don't is to wait patiently...

Ditto, I agree, I offered to adopt a cache that was in the way of me putting a new cache in a great spot (intending to move it a little to the new spot,) but the offer was declined, there was nothing I could do after that except hope that one day it will be archived.

I don't think you could even place it as a bonus box using it as the final stage of a multi-cache, but as someone mentioned, using the position as a "stage" in a multi should be acceptable, the best person to ask is your local reviewer I have found them to be exceptionally helpful if you explain the problem.

Edited by Auld Pharrrt

Agree with everything said above, but I would add that it's worth drafting your cache page for the location you want now but don't submit it, then if the other cache(s) is archived for whatever reason you will be given priority if someone else notices and tries to place another cache in the area. It would be disappointing for you to find that someone else jumped on your spot before you got round to creating the listing.

Agree with everything said above, but I would add that it's worth drafting your cache page for the location you want now but don't submit it, then if the other cache(s) is archived for whatever reason you will be given priority if someone else notices and tries to place another cache in the area. It would be disappointing for you to find that someone else jumped on your spot before you got round to creating the listing.

Yes, because there's a risk that a *new* cache could be placed at *another* location that will *also* block the prospective placement.

Suppose the existing cache is due south of the OP's proposed GZ. Then someone comes along and places a cache due north of the proposed GZ. This northern cache is just over 0.1 mile from the southerly cache, so it is approved. Now *both* caches block use of the proposed cache placement GZ, which is in the middle, between the two caches, and less than 528 feet from both of them.

In that scenario, the OP might not be able to use the proposed location for years!

The 528ft rule is fine for open locations, but IMHO irrelevant in many urban locations. I once had a cache in my front garden, it was there for about 8 years I think. My son wants to replace it with a cache of his own - an ammo box. However there is now a micro 459ft away. But this is across peoples houses and gardens! to walk to it is well over 528ft.

Is straight line distance appropriate in urban conditions - discuss. (Rider: the guideline [rule] was I believe originated not so much for density reasons, but to ensure that a cacher could be certain which cache they had found as, many years ago, GPSr's reputedly only had an accuracy of 30ft +/-)

The 528ft rule is fine for open locations, but IMHO irrelevant in many urban locations. I once had a cache in my front garden, it was there for about 8 years I think. My son wants to replace it with a cache of his own - an ammo box. However there is now a micro 459ft away. But this is across peoples houses and gardens! to walk to it is well over 528ft.

Is straight line distance appropriate in urban conditions - discuss. (Rider: the guideline [rule] was I believe originated not so much for density reasons, but to ensure that a cacher could be certain which cache they had found as, many years ago, GPSr's reputedly only had an accuracy of 30ft +/-)

The OP asked about single exceptions to the rule - an administrative nightmare. Now we're instructed to discuss a blanket exception for urban areas. (What's urban? Another nightmare!)

:rolleyes:

There's a solid argument that rural areas qualify more for what you're asking, especially if the terrain is rough. Rivers or cliffs used to generate exceptions, but not now. 528 = 528.

I hope Sonny finds a nice spot for the cache in a nearby woods. And I recommend a bike lock for the ammo can.

Are you sure the micro owner isn't ready to archive (or move) the cache? Maybe you could find him another spot nearby. So far I've never seen friendly gifts recommended in such situations, but that might be part of "The Art of the Deal."

:ph34r: