Yakima Cache Machine III

travisl

Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes. If you think you've seen this all before, focus on the unique-to-this-event information in red.

(Link to dinner event cache.)

Yakima: The Palm Springs of Washington. We've done this in 2008 and 2003, and were nearby in 2012. It's good to be back. Let's get caching!

So fill up the tank, grab your gear, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and start on the route at GC226AF, Doggie Mitt, on Saturday, September 24, at 6:15 AM. From there, move at your own pace and get as many as you can.

Dinner's at 7:00 p.m. at El Mirador II, 1601 E. Yakima Ave. (N 46° 36.335 W 120° 29.010). It’s listed as an event cache, GC6Q1H8. See its event page for details. Please log your "will attends" on the event page so I can let the restaurant know how many to expect.

Note that some caches on the route map may be marked with a "do not enter" icon Posted Image. Those cache owners have justifiably asked for their cache to not be on the route, and for the cache to not be sought during the cache machine. The cache is, in the owner's opinion, in a sensitive area, whether it's environmentally unwise, socially sensitive, or physically fragile. Just don't get it. It's not like there's a shortage of caches in the area.

Rules:

1) Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt. When someone asks what you're doing, the right answer is honesty: "geocaching".

2) Respect private property, even if the cache owner didn't. Post your DNFs proudly.

3) One logbook entry for "YCM3" is fine for most small and micros. Don't go filling up the logbook just because you want to mark your territory. 50 people's names and dates will fill up most one-sheets. Be kind and bring extra paper to add to caches with full logbooks.

4) As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it. Handing it off to someone else and pointing down saying "it goes there" isn't good enough. Don't be a jerk. The extra 45 seconds isn't going to ruin your day.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Yakima Cache Machine III FAQ:

When is it? When is the start time?

Saturday, September 24, 2016. Start time is 6:15 a.m. at GC226AF, Doggie Mitt.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We'll start as one large group, but after a dozen caches or so, the large groups will likely fragment, and on a long day like this, you'll probably be on your own by the time most people in town are waking up.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

• Friday, September 23, at 6:30 PM: An informal pre-event dinner will be at a location to be announced. Last-minute changes will be announced at this dinner and here in the Groundspeak forum.
  • Saturday, September 24, at 6:15 AM: Cache machine begins!
  • Saturday, September 24, at 7:00 PM: Dinner will be at at El Mirador II, 1601 E. Yakima Ave (N 46° 36.335 W 120° 29.010). It’s listed as an event cache, GC6Q1H8. RSVP at the event cache page. Arrive early; I've requested 50 seats.
  • Sunday, September 25: Nothing's planned, but you're welcome to get all of the caches we drove past on Saturday that made you say, "hey, why aren't we getting that one?"

Hey, why aren't we getting that one?

My standard answer here is that I try to avoid most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid. I'm also skipping caches that just seem at first glance to be a little lame, because there's so many caches and so little time. However, for this cache machine, there's nearly 1000 caches between here and Ellensburg, so I'm focusing heavily on caches that have a lot of favorite points. I also love the Yakima River Canyon drive, so I'm doing everything I can to get the route through there in a reasonable time.

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Hey, that road doesn't exist!

What's with making us ford the Yakima River?

Thanks for catching that! Let me know, and I'll incorporate it your fix into the route.

If dinner's at 7:00 p.m., why does the route go to 11:00? Is this a two-day event? Is this Spinal Tap?

The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you'd run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect anyone would be able to hit all of them between sunrise and sunset. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, try to remember where they were, look at the old logbook signatures, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet. Maybe pass your phone number around for us to call when we get stumped.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a long hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or may check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

My cache is physically fragile and I don't want it broken.

By all means, let me know. I don't want to send 100 people there to stomp all over it.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding? Rattlesnakes?

Probably, yes. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

Turquoise lines show my suggested route, but if there's a brown trail or grey road that I've drawn in, ignore the turquoise. Red car icons show places to park a car for a short time (usually a trailhead).

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

In 2003 I got my first GPS , an original eTrex. My wife had to go to Yakima for the PTSA convention. I went along (drove) and while she was in meetings I was trying to teach myself Geocaching. In those three days, I only accomplished 3 DNFs. Two of them are archived, but my first log was the DNF on GCBB1C - Waterfall View. I haven't had a chance to redeem it, so I'm glad to see it on the list; but I will NOT be waiting to find it as #94 on the CM.

Also, I expect to hit #2000 that day.

After unfortunately having to miss the June CM, we will definitely be there for this one! Actually I've been looking forward to this one since last year.

For anyone looking for a hotel in the area there are two that I would recommend.

We'll be staying at the Oxford Suites which is right off of I-90 and the river http://www.oxfordsuitesyakima.com/

If you need something more economical their sister Hotel Oxford Inn is right next door http://www.oxfordinnyakima.com/

The Oxford inn is older hotel and has fewer amenities than the newer one the Oxford Suites.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Edited by SirKarp
If you need something more economical their sister Hotel Oxford Inn is right next door http://www.oxfordinnyakima.com/

The Oxford inn is older hotel and has fewer amenities than the newer one the Oxford Suites.

Nice! That's where I'd already booked, and it's right next to the start and end points of the route. I found that if I went through TripAdvisor's link to http://www.oxfordinnyakima.com/lnr-1374864815.php , which inserts promo code TAWEB, I could get the price down to $94.50 before taxes. A few places on 1st Street were cheaper, in the $79 range, but not as highly reviewed.

If someone else books this way, could you let me know if you receive a confirmation e-mail? I never received one, so I'm a little concerned that the reservation didn't go through.

I am brand new at Geocaching. I like the way this sounds and I am planning to attend. I live here in Yakima. I have a new Garmin Oregon 650T that I am trying to get all figured out. Would there be anyone attending this that has one be able to give me some helping tips on using this? I am stumbling through it but I am getting frustrated. LOL Slowly but surly I will get it figured out.. LOL

Nice! That's where I'd already booked, and it's right next to the start and end points of the route. I found that if I went through TripAdvisor's link to http://www.oxfordinnyakima.com/lnr-1374864815.php , which inserts promo code TAWEB, I could get the price down to $94.50 before taxes. A few places on 1st Street were cheaper, in the $79 range, but not as highly reviewed.

If someone else books this way, could you let me know if you receive a confirmation e-mail? I never received one, so I'm a little concerned that the reservation didn't go through.

Travis, I have never used the tripadvisor link, but I have booked on the oxford website many times in the past and I always received an E-mail confirmation. If it's not hiding in your spam folder I'd call the hotel. Since the tripadvisor sends you to the oxford website they should be able to see it at the hotel if it went though.

I've decided it is time to retire from bookmark making. It is time to pass the honor to some one else.

Oh no! :( So many of us rely on your wonderful bookmark lists (and GSAK macro) for the cache machines. I was just looking for it to start planning, and discovered your note. You will be sorely missed and I hope someone takes up the mantle.

Edited by hydnsek

I've decided it is time to retire from bookmark making. It is time to pass the honor to some one else.

Oh no! :( So many of us rely on your wonderful bookmark lists (and GSAK macro) for the cache machines. I was just looking for it to start planning, and discovered your note. You will be sorely missed and I hope someone takes up the mantle.

The macros will remain in the website for a while. If anyone picks it up I would be glad to share my setup macros I use on my machine to get the ball rolling.

Yes, indeed! The bookmark and macro were very much appreciated. We know it is a lot of work to do what you and Travis do each quarter year. And for your part we thank you many times over.

Thanks Jim!

I see the route is up. I'll post the bookmark in the next day or two.

My notes show that you've been doing this for seven years. I may not have expressed it each time, but thank you so much for being the most significant contributor to the success of my events. You've left some big shoes to fill.

The macros will remain in the website for a while. If anyone picks it up I would be glad to share my setup macros I use on my machine to get the ball rolling.

Hey Jim, I would be willing to take it on. send what you can to TerribleTs at gmail.com

Terrible Ts

here[/url]4118' post='5604843']

Hey Jim, I would be willing to take it on. send what you can to TerribleTs at gmail.com

Terrible Ts

I have the bookmark list of the first draft up at geocaching.com .

I am trying something new. This is a preview link. If you click on it will show you where the link is going to take you.

The data file for the numbering is here (my person dropbox folder. Unil I get a way to host the file I wil use this. Shouldn't be too long.

Terrible Ts

I have the bookmark list of the first draft up at geocaching.com .

Thank you for taking this on! If I'm seeing correctly, it looks like I somehow managed, on my first try, to avoid placing any disabled or archived caches on the route. That's unusual :-)

Just got a chance tonight to look through the caches on Draft 1. Here are some possible problems.;

# Name URL

6 FG03
Last 2 DNFs. last found 5/7/16

8 Chi chi and Jorge's cache
last 2 DNFs. Supposedly replace 2/10/16.

12 Sunny Smile!
last 4 DNFs. nodiced missing 8/10/15

13 Who Moved My Cheese
last 4 DNFs. 7/10/16 owner trying to replace.

16 Alphabet Lost and Found "A" - Cruising the Night
last 4 DNFs. (one find by new cacher (20) finds) construction 9/1/15

17 The Gazebo Chuckles
sketchy placement. people mention destroying public property.

33 Fly-by on Ringer Loop
4 DNFs. 1 NM. Floods

39 Kathy's Cache
3 DNFs. Special tool needed (Mirror)

44 Fiery Floods
Last 4 DNFs. last found 7/8/16

56 Entering Yakima Canyon
1NM, 3 DNFs. last found 7/9/16

65 Idyllic Rural View
NM. cache falling apart.

68 American Legion
1 NM. Previous finder couldn't find

94 Waterfall View
last 3 DNFs.

Terrible Ts

Hello, I am brand new to this. Where do I find the information I need to find the caches? Can I load them all into my GPS at one time or do I do it one at a time. Any help would be great. I am using a Garmin Oregon 650T.

Thank you for your help. I am looking forward to doing this.

John

As a premium member you can use the bookmark list (link in Terrible T's post above) to generate a PQ that can be loaded on to you unit (or into GSAK and from there to the 650T). There will be a couple of more drafts of the route before the CM so there's no need to load this one (except for practice).

There will be a couple of more drafts of the route before the CM ...

Usually, you'd be right, but things have been unusually busy for me the last few weeks. The next "draft" will actually be the final, posting on Monday.

Oh, great! Make me out to be a liar! :anitongue::laughing: :laughing:

The final draft is the important one, that's for sure. The others are just "practice". :lol:

Are you involved with the HQ move to Seattle? Just saw that on the news last night.

Are you involved with the [Weyerhaeuser] HQ move to Seattle? Just saw that on the news last night.

Sure am, and couldn't be more excited. I've actually been working out of the Pioneer Square office for two weeks now, but didn't get a chair until Friday. My desk is still a stack of plastic moving crates. I'm not complaining at all -- the hour commute on the train to and from Lakewood is so much nicer than the rush hour drive (often an hour) between Federal Way and Lakewood. Half of the HQ employees showed up yesterday. The rest (including my team) show up next Monday -- the day I hope to have the final route posted. Might be a little late :sunsure:

I usually do my Cache Machine planning on my lunch breaks, using my big multi-monitor setup to toggle between GSAK, Geocaching.com, and Streets & Trips, but I've only had my small laptop usable since August 30. I was at work one day before that (to pack), and the week before the move I was out travelling on business, with barely enough time to pick up this nifty souvenir and broaden my easternmost find (formerly in Orlando):

1daf1f47-3671-49d0-abba-fbb92abb1932.png

So... anybody got suggestions for the Friday night meet-up location? Can't be Mexican food, and preferably has good beer but is suitable for families. No group seating needed -- I typically just show up and wander table-to-table meeting cachers.

Comments in blue, below.

# Name URL

6 FG03
Last 2 DNFs. last found 5/7/16
Needed maintenance, needle-in-a-haystack, bit of a hike -- yeah, I'll remove it.

8 Chi chi and Jorge's cache
last 2 DNFs. Supposedly replace 2/10/16.
Gonna keep this one on the route. It's had multiple consecutive DNFs before. It could very well be gone, though.

12 Sunny Smile!
last 4 DNFs. nodiced missing 8/10/15
Yup. Taking off the route.

13 Who Moved My Cheese
last 4 DNFs. 7/10/16 owner trying to replace.
Owner replaced last week.

16 Alphabet Lost and Found "A" - Cruising the Night
last 4 DNFs. (one find by new cacher (20) finds) construction 9/1/15
Looks gone to me. Removed.

17 The Gazebo Chuckles
sketchy placement. people mention destroying public property.
I remember this one from YCM II. I think it should be fine, despite the fact that these are my second-least favorite kind of caches. It involves temporary disassembly of public property, but no damage.

33 Fly-by on Ringer Loop
4 DNFs. 1 NM. Floods
Even if it's there, it doesn't sound like a fun CM cache. Removed.

39 Kathy's Cache
3 DNFs. Special tool needed (Mirror)
Looks like it's gone to me. Taking off the route.

44 Fiery Floods
Last 4 DNFs. last found 7/8/16
Cache owner replaced it September 8.

56 Entering Yakima Canyon
1NM, 3 DNFs. last found 7/9/16
Never had consecutive DNFs before, either. Removing from the route.

65 Idyllic Rural View
NM. cache falling apart.
Still there, though. Keeping.

68 American Legion
1 NM. Previous finder couldn't find
Confirmed missing. Taken off the route.

94 Waterfall View
last 3 DNFs.
Lots of DNFs, but I remember this one. It's a needle-in-a-haystack toughie.

Thanks for spotting these. More in my next post later this afternoon.

Edited by travisl

The final route is up! There's not many changes from the first draft, other than the removal of some of the caches noted above (Thanks, Terrible T's!) and the addition of new stops 12-14 and 87-90.

Note that the caches on Lookout Point Drive (66-68) are behind a gate, which one cacher tells me has been locked. If so, that's quite a walk, and you may want to skip them.

The informal pre-event dinner will be at 6:30 PM Friday at Bob's Burgers & Brew, 121 North Fair Avenue, Yakima. I'll announce any last-minute changes there, and also here in the forum later Friday night.

Hello everyone, I have the PQ being delivered to my email and will load them tomorrow onto my GPS. Once I have them loaded is there a way of putting these in some kind of order or numbered. I need to make easy for me to read since I am new to this. Like I have said, I have a Gramin Oregon 650T. Any help would be great. I am planning on being a Bob's on Friday night so I will be asking a lot of questions from the pro's. LOL

the central Washington Fair opens on Friday the 23rd. So if nothing less be prepared for a busy town, and fair traffic.

For some reason, I expected the fair to be in Ellensburg (probably thinking of Central Washington University), but you're right. This should have a minor impact on the route, as a parade will be running on Yakima Ave from 16th Ave to 5th Ave, 10 AM to about 1 PM. Staging will take place on 16th Ave.

Specific to us, if you're behind schedule, you might need to re-route stops #15 to #16 if 16th street is blocked (unlikely) and from stops #16 to #17 if the parade is in effect (heading east to 4th Ave and looping back should work).

Other updates after dinner tonight. Hope to see some of you there!

Final updates:

• Stop 87 is not a stop. It's a waypoint for a later cache that doesn't seem to need a waypoint. Ignore it. Oops.
  • Stops 79, 80, and 81 may be on private property. Obey all signs and follow the law.
  • Several stops in the Yakima River canyon were DNFed by a pair of experienced cachers today. The caches may still be there, but don't count on it. DNFed were 31, 33, 36, 38, 42, 43, 46, 47, 48, 49, and 50. Found today were 35, 37, 39, 40, 41 (an earthcache, so obviously), 44, and 52.
  • As noted on the map, there's a gate at 66. If it's locked, it'll be a long walk to the next two caches.

See you all tomorrow! Don't get stuck in the parade!