Understanding Information on National Geodetic Survey (NGS) Datasheets

ipuppy

Greetings-

I received the below announcement through my "day job" and thought it might be of interest to folks who frequent this forum. I plan to dial in.

Regards-

Brian (ipuppy)

Title: Understanding Information on National Geodetic Survey (NGS) Datasheets

Presenter(s): John Ellingson, Geodetic Advisor, NOAA's National Geodetic Survey

Date & Time: August 11, 2016

2:00 pm - 3:00 pm ET

Remote Access: Gotomeeting webinar uses internet, VOIP or phone. Click the link to join the webinar at the specified time and date: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7539531923945606145.

TO USE YOUR COMPUTER'S AUDIO: When the webinar begins, you will be connected to audio using your computer's microphone and speakers (VoIP). A headset is recommended. --OR-- TO USE YOUR TELEPHONE: If you prefer to use your phone, you must select "Use Telephone" after joining the webinar and call in using the numbers below. United States: +1 (213) 929-4212 Access Code: 860-932-004 Audio PIN: Shown after joining the webinar.

OneNOAA Science Seminar Series

Speaker: John Ellingson, Geodetic Advisor, NOAA's National Geodetic Survey

Sponsor: NOAA NGS

POC for questions: christine.gallagher@noaa.gov

Abstract: NGS datasheets include extensive information about survey control marks that can be found around the country. Learn how to find the information you need from a datasheet and how to avoid misusing it, which happens more frequently than you think.

About the Speaker: John Ellingson currently serves as the State Geodetic Advisor to Wisconsin for NOAA's National Geodetic Survey. He is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin - Madison with a degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in surveying and additional studies in geodesy. He is a licensed Professional Engineer and a licensed Professional Land Surveyor in Wisconsin.

Subscribe to the OneNOAA Science Seminar weekly email: Send an email to OneNOAAscienceseminars-request@list.woc.noaa.gov with the word `subscribe' in the subject or body

Thanks, Brian. I learned some things worth knowing.

If you still bike the NCR trail there are some nice bolt in chiseled square marks near the PA/MD border, JV1534 , for example.

Mike-

Glad you were able to dial in - I found it very interesting and useful as well. I was actually pleased to find that I knew a lot about datasheets already just from having used them for benchmark hunting for the past 8 years or so.

I ride the NCR trail every now and then and have found a few of those marks. I may be on the trail later this week for a round-trip to York (if I get motivated enough) and may try to grab a few that I've missed.

Regards-

Brian

I asked Christine if the webinar would be archived for those, like me, who missed it.

She says it will be on the "Recorded Webinars" tab on this web-page: http://www.ngs.noaa....webinar_series/

That page seems to have other topics of interest, such as a February presentation on "GPS Observations on Bench Marks"

-ArtMan-

Art-

You beat me to it! I was going to check this week to see if the presentation was posted yet - at the end of the webinar they said it would take a week or so.

Glad you found and posted it and I'll check out some of the other topics as well.

Regards-

Brian