Where are all the trackables?

greyjay

My life got busy for a year or so and haven't been able to do much geocaching, but after looking around San Antonio there doesn't seem to be many trackables out there! Is this aspect of geocaching dying off?

I'm heading back to Korea and would love to give a few travel bugs a ride but can't seem to find any!

Swiped and incorrectly logged mostly, I think.

Just found out we have a min-hoarder around here who'll "save" up to a dozen, then put them in their new cache - whenever that is...

Lot of hoarders for some weird reason.

Then you have the "visiting hoarders", lugging a bag full of other people's property, visiting them all cache-to-cache for months at a time.

I'm okay now... :laughing:

Guess you should just be happy when you do bump into one.

It'll probably be incorrectly logged, but there. :)

I'm new so please forgive me. Can you tell me what a TB Hotel is? How does it work? And why? Thank you

A TB-hotel is a type of geocache in which travelbugs are collected by a cache-owner. The cache owner thinks such a cache may be more attractive for geocachers when it has travelbugs. Sometimes additional rules are created which states that a certain amount of travelbugs should always remain in such a cache to prevent travel bugs from traveling.

I'm new so please forgive me. Can you tell me what a TB Hotel is? How does it work? And why? Thank you

A "TB Hotel" is any cache big enough for a trackable.

Some call their larger cache a "hotel" as a means to attract trackables, and are often near rest areas, airports, etc., for simple exchanges.

Google Groundspeak Travel Bug Hotel and it says, "There are a lot of geocaches that are called travel bug hotels. These kind of caches are usually placed in an easy to access area, and whose primary purpose is to facilitate the temporary storage and trading of trackable travel bugs."

There are conflicting views on them.

Some believe trackables travel safer hotel-to-hotel, just as some believe exchanging at events, or making a cache PMO is safe.

Most "hotels" we've seen that are easily accessed, often have trackables missing, mostly by new folks not understanding them, or trackable hoarders, looking to add to their traveling stash of other's property.

A "TB Hotel" is any cache big enough for a trackable.

Some call their larger cache a "hotel" as a means to attract trackables, and are often near rest areas, airports, etc., for simple exchanges.

Google Groundspeak Travel Bug Hotel and it says, "There are a lot of geocaches that are called travel bug hotels. These kind of caches are usually placed in an easy to access area, and whose primary purpose is to facilitate the temporary storage and trading of trackable travel bugs."

There are conflicting views on them.

Some believe trackables travel safer hotel-to-hotel, just as some believe exchanging at events, or making a cache PMO is safe.

Most "hotels" we've seen that are easily accessed, often have trackables missing, mostly by new folks not understanding them, or trackable hoarders, looking to add to their traveling stash of other's property.

Another issue I have with "hotels" is sometimes a CO will create extra "rules" on swapping, and even how many trackables are to remain in the "hotel".

This falls under additional logging requirements, and is not allowed, unless the trackables belong to him.

Edited by cerberus1
Sometimes additional rules are created which states that a certain amount of travelbugs should always remain in such a cache to prevent travel bugs from traveling.

This is not permitted by the guidelines because it turns a "Hotel" into a "Prison." Travel Bugs are meant to travel and no cache owner is permitted to put restrictions on their travel.

Sometimes additional rules are created which states that a certain amount of travelbugs should always remain in such a cache to prevent travel bugs from traveling.

This is not permitted by the guidelines because it turns a "Hotel" into a "Prison." Travel Bugs are meant to travel and no cache owner is permitted to put restrictions on their travel.

Here in the Netherlands, this is allowed by the reviewers.

Wow! There is so much to learn! I can understand why some people do not really like having their trackers stuck in a hotel, Prison. It seems very unfair. I get that you want them to travel and that certain areas would be better suited for that, airportso etc. but to just keep collecting them isn't right. Sometimes, I don't understand people.