Move cache to temporary new location?

There is construction at GZ of one on my caches. I marked it as down for maintenance. I am not sure how long the construction will last. I found a location 250 feet away from construction that I could move the cache, until the construction is finished. Would it be okay to update the GPS coordinates to this new location so the cache can stay active until construction is finished?

I moved mine permanently after the area it was in was marked for foresting for the next few months, but moving it temporarily wouldn't hurt! At the end of the day, it's your geocache, you can choose what you want to do with it :)

I think it'd be a nice thing so that you can still have people visiting the cache! Personally I'd say you should do it!

Would it be okay to update the GPS coordinates to this new location so the cache can stay active until construction is finished?

Sure.

I'd think it'd be better than temp disabling it to whenever the work is completed.

Realize though, that if there's another good spot on the other side of that construction, someone might place a cache there, not allowing you to move back later. :)

I am moving it less than 300 feet so the original spot should be safe from another cache being placed there.

From being placed in the exact same spot, but if someone places a new cache 300 feet to the OTHER side of the old cache location, you won't be able to move your cache back.

I am not sure a coordinate check automatically does a saturation check. If a reviewer gets notified he/she might. If the construction seems to have a relatively short time expectation the best way would be to disable it with a log (and maybe a separate note to the reviewer about your plan) and then reenable later.

The reason I don't think a check is made is because over the years I have encountered caches way to close to each other and the most likely way that occurred (given that proper review was made and usually is) was to false plant and make an immediate coord move afterwards.

Realize though, that if there's another good spot on the other side of that construction, someone might place a cache there, not allowing you to move back later. :)

Could he place a fake, unpublished cache at the original coordinates to hold the place? (If it's a multi or unknown, he could flag the waypoint at the posted coordinates as being physical, but I assume you can't add a physical waypoint to a traditional.)

I am not sure a coordinate check automatically does a saturation check. If a reviewer gets notified he/she might. If the construction seems to have a relatively short time expectation the best way would be to disable it with a log (and maybe a separate note to the reviewer about your plan) and then reenable later.

The reason I don't think a check is made is because over the years I have encountered caches way to close to each other and the most likely way that occurred (given that proper review was made and usually is) was to false plant and make an immediate coord move afterwards.

This spring I moved one of my caches about 20 feet. The reviewer disabled it because it was now too close to another cache. So at least one reviewer does coord checks on moved caches. :)

Edited to add quoted post

Edited by TriciaG

I am moving it less than 300 feet so the original spot should be safe from another cache being placed there.

Can't be sure of that, unless the land beyond your original spot is private. I just moved one that is on a small island in a river about 20 feet to a spot that would be less prone to flooding. Was disabled the next day for being too close to an existing cache across the river. Had to move it back or archive it.