Is your recycle paper being re-purposed?

T0SHEA

The tale of Waymarking "Places for Recycling".

In good faith, most of us do recycle. Whether your recycle materials are picked up at your curbside or you take it to the nearest recycle center where you usually are required to sort by type of item.

Is your recycle paper being re-purposed; including your mail?

Are your bank statements, credit card bills, tax forms, any correspondence that includes your name, address and other personal information safe or falling into the dubious hands of the dumpster diver or someone in your neighborhood sorting through your curbside bins?

YES! Your mail could be falling into the wrong hands.

We have witnessed at least on three different occasions dumpster divers digging through someone’s mail, giving it a quick look and either putting it in their back pocket or in the last case had a box where the mail was deposited.

Just yesterday, we witnessed someone going through mail that was at a local recycle center. I asked the man, “Is that your mail you are going through?” His reply was, “No, it’s not mine.”

There was an attendent on duty, and I stated by concerns and he went to where the man was and asked him if he was sorting items he placed in the bin, the man said no. The attendant stood there a minute or so and then walked away.

Highly annoyed, when returning home I call our local waste management director and complained and did mentioned about the lack of concern by one of the attendants.

My suggestion is to complain to someone in charge of the recycle depot if you witness someone going through one of the bins and…

SHRED, SHRED, SHRED anything that has your name, address, account or anything that can be used to steal your identity.

Why is a dumpster diver taking your mail, it has to benefit them in some way, or what is the point?

Thank you for that public service announcement of identity security.

But what exactly does it have to do with Waymarking?

About as relevant as: cerberus1 has not posted any waymarks yet.

No, but they are a premium member and can vote in peer review and enjoy all the other perks of Waymarking.

So what's your point? Does Waymarking not already have a category for dumpster dive sites? :laughing:

No, but they are a premium member and can vote in peer review and enjoy all the other perks of Waymarking.

So what's your point? Does Waymarking not already have a category for dumpster dive sites? :laughing:

Are you suggesting I should have posted this in the "Drive-by Waymarking" proposal?

Edited by BK-Hunters

The tale of Waymarking "Places for Recycling".

In good faith, most of us do recycle. Whether your recycle materials are picked up at your curbside or you take it to the nearest recycle center where you usually are required to sort by type of item.

Is your recycle paper being re-purposed; including your mail?

Are your bank statements, credit card bills, tax forms, any correspondence that includes your name, address and other personal information safe or falling into the dubious hands of the dumpster diver or someone in your neighborhood sorting through your curbside bins?

YES! Your mail could be falling into the wrong hands.

We have witnessed at least on three different occasions dumpster divers digging through someone’s mail, giving it a quick look and either putting it in their back pocket or in the last case had a box where the mail was deposited.

Just yesterday, we witnessed someone going through mail that was at a local recycle center. I asked the man, “Is that your mail you are going through?” His reply was, “No, it’s not mine.”

There was an attendent on duty, and I stated by concerns and he went to where the man was and asked him if he was sorting items he placed in the bin, the man said no. The attendant stood there a minute or so and then walked away.

Highly annoyed, when returning home I call our local waste management director and complained and did mentioned about the lack of concern by one of the attendants.

My suggestion is to complain to someone in charge of the recycle depot if you witness someone going through one of the bins and…

SHRED, SHRED, SHRED anything that has your name, address, account or anything that can be used to steal your identity.

Why is a dumpster diver taking your mail, it has to benefit them in some way, or what is the point?

Are you suggesting I should have posted this in the "Drive-by Waymarking" proposal?

No, I moved on with that idea. Are you suggesting a new category for dumpster diving for mail? Maybe it's that I just don't understand you rant in relation to Waymarking. :unsure: You lost me, I'm sure that not-a-waymarker-yet person is confused also. :)

Are you suggesting a new category for dumpster diving for mail? Maybe it's that I just don't understand you rant in relation to Waymarking. :unsure: You lost me, I'm sure that not-a-waymarker-yet person is confused also. :)

If that's me, nope, didn't get the relation, that's why I asked. :)

I don't participate (yet) but that doesn't mean I don't keep track...

Was gonna report it as spam until recognizing the name. :laughing:

Live out in the country. Anything that can be burned (paper, cardboard) gets burned in our burn barrel. Never makes it up to the end of the street (1/4 mile away from the house!). Kitchen has 3 cans: burnables, recyclables, everything else.

But it is an interesting point.

Sooner or later I'm going to Waymark the place where we recycle metal, but I just haven't had the chance. It's only about 10 miles away.