Require immediate assistance

Blurman

We are cache owner since 2009, and in the last year, we have more and more logs that "require" our immediate assistance. For example, we've had logs that said: "Hey! i'm searching your cache GC(XXXX) since (x) minutes and can't find it. Please give me a hint within (x) min or i'll have to leave with a dnf." Or logs that said: "i'm at your multi-cache GC(XXXX) and i don't know how to enter the next coordinates in my (Brand Name) GPS. I'll wait 30 min for your answer".

For us, it is the first year that we have regularly these type of logs, and we we're just wondering if it was common now, or if it was just a local thing. Any comments are welcome!

PS. I don't speak english very well, so i'm sorry for all the mistakes.

Now,now, give it to me now! I mustn't miss out on anything! It's my right to find every single cache. It's your responsibility to do the work for me.

All of the above is what is causing this and I say it's all wrong. Can't find it, walk away. There are enough other caches out there to find.

Now,now, give it to me now! I mustn't miss out on anything! It's my right to find every single cache. It's your responsibility to do the work for me.

All of the above is what is causing this and I say it's all wrong. Can't find it, walk away. There are enough other caches out there to find.

True, the rush-rush entitlement is out of line. (Caffeine may be partly to blame.)

However, if you happen to be able to talk by phone with a searcher while he or she is in the field, as I once did, it can be an interesting experience.

Neither have I received anything like it here in the Netherlands. But I do think that you, as a CO, should be monitoring your e-mail continuously and reply to all those e-mails with the following:

"I've read your e-mail stating that you'll wait for 30 (insert any given number) minutes for my answer, so I will send you a hint after 60 minutes. Thanks for visiting my cache and your patience!"

Obviously it's ridiculous to think that sending a forced e-mail stating you will wait for x minutes for an answer will make a CO go run to his files and see if there's anything they can help with. On the other hand it can be annoying to be in the field, having driven a long way to find a cache, and then not being able to find it...

It's happened to me a couple of times. I personally will always lend a helping hand to a cacher who needs it. Sometimes I'm unable to do it "Right Now" but if I can, I do.

Last month I was on the phone for 45 minutes helping a father and son find the final to my multi. They chose this cache to be their first..... ever!

Even if I had to drive over there and walk them around the trails there was no way they were leaving with a DNF.

Like most things in this game it's personal preference. You either choose to or you don't. Neither decision is right or wrong.

Most of the time it's new cachers who don't quite know how things work. These are the ones I tend to go out of my way to help.

Edited by justintim1999

I have sent messages asking for hints, but it was more along the lines of 'hey, we've visited the cache 3-4 times and kept getting DNF's, could we have a hint?' but only if there isn't a hint given already. I'd personally never give someone a timeframe to reply as I think that's a little rude, the CO should reply in their own time when they want to reply.

I've seen owners actually state in the description or hint to phone them or text them if the finder needs a hint. I have also seen people say in their log that they phoned the owner for a hint. The technology is there. People use it. Maybe the request is coming off as brusque and demanding but not really intended that way.

Many people get their email by phone and can and do respond quickly. It's worth a try if you've travelled somewhere that you might not be able to return to. Might as well try contacting the owner, they may reply.

Edited by L0ne.R

If someone's polite about it and I happen to be looking at my phone, I don't mind giving a hint to someone quickly.

A geocacher who uses a DNF as some sort of threat is obviously beneath my regard. I wouldn't respond to that.

And then there's the flip side, the person that says, "I'm in the field and I need a hint. If I can find this one, I'll give it a favorite point."

That's the time when you leave the business meeting, saying "Excuse me for two minutes. I have to deal with an emergency!"

:grin:

A geocacher who uses a DNF as some sort of threat is obviously beneath my regard. I wouldn't respond to that.

I don't even understand how they think a DNF is a threat - like if you can't find it, that's on you buddy, not the CO ... I prefer people to log a DNF on my caches if they can't find it, it lets me know that the cache might have gone missing ...

honestly, if someone asked me for a hint and threatened me, I'd tell them to hop off haha

I'm all up for asking for hints but I would never threaten someone for a hint! though usually I'll suck it up, log my dnf and look harder! As I previously said, I'll only ask for a hint if i've visited the area for two long looks that both equal up to at LEAST over an hour, depending on the dificulty, sometimes well over 2-3 hours. I'll only ask for a hint if I'm positive I'm 100% stumped!

though usually the CO I message tells me the exact location of the cache instead of a small lead :P

... can I join in on the 'bah, millennials' train if I ask for hints like them?

I don't even understand how they think a DNF is a threat - like if you can't find it, that's on you buddy, not the CO ... I prefer people to log a DNF on my caches if they can't find it, it lets me know that the cache might have gone missing ...

honestly, if someone asked me for a hint and threatened me, I'd tell them to hop off haha

I'm all up for asking for hints but I would never threaten someone for a hint! though usually I'll suck it up, log my dnf and look harder! As I previously said, I'll only ask for a hint if i've visited the area for two long looks that both equal up to at LEAST over an hour, depending on the dificulty, sometimes well over 2-3 hours. I'll only ask for a hint if I'm positive I'm 100% stumped!

though usually the CO I message tells me the exact location of the cache instead of a small lead :P

I don't think these issues are confined to millennials. I find baby boomers just as poorly behaved, if not worse. Actually, they are often worse, because boomers have more difficulty comprehending modern etiquette for devices and social media. I've had some astonishingly rude and demanding missives from baby boomer geocachers.

I'm a Gen Xer so I'm just too apathetic to ask anyone for a hint at all.

A sign of the times. Some people seem to think that cache owners monitor their caches in real time.

Just ignore them, they will go away then come back when they have learned more.

+1

But only if "the times" is a contant from ten years ago. :)

Some of these " me, me, me !" folks must think the CO doesn't sleep or work, and their entire life is all about sitting by the phone, waiting for someone to call about their cache.

Weird.

But today, few use their phone to talk to another, and sorta used to immediate responses through texting.

- Apparently I'll disappoint you.

Bring a razor, you may need to shave again by the time I get back to you.

We started as many those days, with prizes (often cash) for FTF.

We actually had one in '05 asking us for hints while looking for the FTF.

- I simply told him someone should be around shortly to help. :laughing:

One cache I'm looking at now (4.5/4.5, 7+ miles & 15 stages), the hint is "just ask".

The FTF said he, "only had to ask for a hint once".

Sheesh...

Yep, still a sign of the times...

I don't even understand how they think a DNF is a threat....

To understand, look no further than the current forum threads. DNFs "taint" the hide, and raise the spectre that the Amateur Armchair Archive Aficionados (AAAA) will post a NA.

I did this (sorta) once. It was the final stage of a multi. I sent a quick message to the CO for help - it was a micro-in-the-woods situation. I didn't know if she was around or not, but she did get back to me within maybe 10 minutes, as Hubby and I were just giving up and walking away from GZ.

However, I did not give a time limit nor threaten a DNF. (Although in the OP, I interpreted "or I'll have to log a DNF" as being a statement of fact rather than a threat.) And I was very grateful the CO was around and willing to help me!

Around my area, many of the veterans have each others' phone numbers, so if they're stuck, they'll call the CO. I don't have their numbers, so the best I can do is a message. ^_^

Around my area, many of the veterans have each others' phone numbers, so if they're stuck, they'll call the CO. I don't have their numbers, so the best I can do is a message. ^_^

:)

The other 2/3rds has the numbers of anyone who's ever been a member of two local GC clubs.

Caching with friends, she'll even call the CO on speaker just to chit-chat while searching, doesn't have to be about their cache. :laughing:

When we're together, she kinda conforms to the wishes of the old fart alongside.

I have almost as many numbers, but will not call for hints, and might give a hint to ours when out, if their cache name shows on the phone.

- I'm out to get away from all that stuff.

Huge pet peeve... people who think nothing of giving your number to others.

I did use my PAF once though.

Stuck up in a tree cache when a limb broke, where I was literally at the end of my rope. :lol:

I don't think these issues are confined to millennials. I find baby boomers just as poorly behaved, if not worse. Actually, they are often worse, because boomers have more difficulty comprehending modern etiquette for devices and social media. I've had some astonishingly rude and demanding missives from baby boomer geocachers.

I don't doubt it. But at least those rude and demanding missives were properly punctuated and spelled. That skill has gone extinct with millennials. :rolleyes:

I don't doubt it. But at least those rude and demanding missives were properly punctuated and spelled. That skill has gone extinct with millennials. :rolleyes:

That's not correct either. Boomers have trouble with non-keyboard text input. They are usually the worst offenders for punctuation. Millennials use shorthand but it's generally coherent.

Hmmm...I've left messages like that. I'm telling the CO that I'm in the area with limited time, and if they get the email later than that, they can ignore it. I wouldn't be offended if someone contacted me with a time limit, and I don't see anything wrong with telling someone else that I'm short of time. If they don't get back to me, I'm not mad about it or anything, I just move on. No big deal. But hey--the forums need another cool thread on how selfish and entitled other cachers are, so by all means--post away.

I don't even understand how they think a DNF is a threat....

To understand, look no further than the current forum threads. DNFs "taint" the hide, and raise the spectre that the Amateur Armchair Archive Aficionados (AAAA) will post a NA.

Sigh. No that's not going to happen. Are you suggesting a reviewer would archive this owner's cache after someone posts a DNF and the next person, with no legitimate reason, posts an NA? Besides, this owner is active and monitoring his cache. He's just irritated by a new trend where finders use their phone to contact owners while at ground zero, hoping for (or maybe rudely demanding) more help.

That's the time when you leave the business meeting, saying "Excuse me for two minutes. I have to deal with an emergency!"

:grin:

That happened to me once. I was having a discussion with the boss when a caching friend texted me about another friend's multi he was having trouble with. I excused myself to the boss, dashed down to my office and brought up the listing so I could check. All in good humour, though, and the boss didn't mind - she's always getting phone calls from her kids in the middle of meetings.

Hmmm...I've left messages like that. I'm telling the CO that I'm in the area with limited time, and if they get the email later than that, they can ignore it. I wouldn't be offended if someone contacted me with a time limit, and I don't see anything wrong with telling someone else that I'm short of time. If they don't get back to me, I'm not mad about it or anything, I just move on. No big deal. But hey--the forums need another cool thread on how selfish and entitled other cachers are, so by all means--post away.

I don't think anybody is bothered by a polite request for help with a cache. It's the harsh tone, and wielding a DNF like some sort of threat that takes it to another level.

I'll be more than willing to help someone who's actually tried. I've even walked people through over the phone on night cache with a stage missing.

I haven't had anyone (or anyone geocaching) wanting it now. But I do work at as place dealing with the public, and I have encountered the "Me me me. I'm more important than anyone else here, even more important than the people who paid for your service, but I haven't paid, and shouldn't have to." And I won't go out of the way to help those people. If I get that message from a cacher, I'll reply with 2 letters: OK. So what if they log a DNF? They didn't find a cache, and logged in as such, big deal.

Why is a dnf a threat? I wouldn't take it as one. They didn't say I'll post a NA, after all.

I don't know why they would word it as some sort of threat. There is nothing wrong with posting a DNF. But it appears that some cachers seem to think it's a black mark on the cache and its owner. Word the request politely without weird threats, and I think most cache owners will help if they can.

Why is a dnf a threat? I wouldn't take it as one.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks it's a threat. I read it as a simple statement that they'll be moving on if there's no response which is just a fact.

While I'd never send a message like that, I think people are over reacting. The message in the OP strikes me as a request for help -- not a demand for help -- with a time frame for when such help would be useful so the CO doesn't waste time responding after that -- not a deadline and threat.

I'm OK with this being read as a goofy trend by the forever connected, but I fail to see anything about the wording that's rude.