https://coord.info/GCB416 OPERATION HIGH DESERT ADVENTURE being archived ?

mars888

Several posters have commented on the original archival of this cache many years ago. Please know that the "unarchive" log by former Reviewer NCFlyers was deleted from the cache listing at some point.

Thank you for clearing that up.

It makes absolutely no sense to delete the Reviewer's log that put the cache back into play. This gets weirder and weirder.

B.

We do not want this cache archived. It is an adventure, one we want to do when we are in the area. It is a virtual, therefore does not and should not need maintenance. We also like old time caches. True there are "arm chair" logs (the most recent has been retracted), but we can live with that as it seems to be part of this game/hobby/lifestyle/pastime/obsession. The CO purposely kept this one active even though they no longer geocache. As long as we don't rant on the cache page, it will not come to the attention of the reviewers. Those of us who know what it takes to complete this cache realize the ones who really did it and congrats to them. To the arm chair loggers and the ghost loggers you only hurt yourself and caches shouldn't be archived because of you, then you would "win". Thanks for the opportunity to respond. Jahoadi and John cute_animated.gif

This is pretty much what I was going to say. I vote to leave it unarchived.

I only just learned about this cache, through a thread on facebook, and it looks like one my wife and I would love to do.

If it remains unarchived, and a reviewer cleans up this cache listing from bogus logs "just this once", what is to prevent future bogus logs? Oh, that's right - bogus logs don't hurt anyone anyway. :rolleyes:

The CO isn't maintaining the cache listing. It's unfortunate, but that means the only course of action is to archive it.

Edited by TriciaG

Not exactly inundated, 9 real finds vs. 4 bogus and 1 in error that was corrected to a note on the request of someone who has finished stage 1 & planning stage 2.

I wonder if some few caches might not be truly epic & might be afforded a different class. Maybe if the one many watchers of this cache were to have stepped up to send a note about the requirements for finding when the 1st non finds happened the count of bogus would now be zero.

I was asked earlier why I care, I was in the area before the GC.com & enjoy reading logs of those who travel there. There are a few others I watch for the same reason.

Groundspeak Forums > Community > Geocaching Discussions by Country > Canada

Massive Archiving of TEAM KFWB GPS caches in B.C. What happened to the containers and contents?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=271434

Cape Fear Geocache https://coord.info/GCA4A5

Post Reviewer Note

04/03/2011

Through special arrangement by Groundspeak, many of the caches recently archived by TEAM KFWB GPS will be made available for adoption.

Please do not remove or recycle any of these caches or cache containers until all caches which may be chosen for adoption have been processed.

A list of caches which may potentially be adopted is currently being prepared and will be posted at www.wizardofooze.com/team hopefully by 9:00 p.m. Sunday, April 3.

Please note that not all caches listed may be adoptable, as I have not had time to review each one to ensure that it meets today's geocaching guidelines. I am doing this as a favour to the BC caching community, and ask that you please be respectful of me and your other fellow cachers while this process is underway. While the caches will be adopted on a "first come, first serve", please do not request a large quantity for yourself, as there are many who are interested in owning a part of this BC caching history. Out of respect for others, please select up to three caches and email wiz@wizardofooze with the GC waypoint number and name of your desired caches, along with your cacher name and email address. I will do my best to ensure that you receive at least some of the caches that you have requested.

I appreciate your cooperation while we sort through this. If in the unlikely event that things get out of hand, Groundspeak's special arrangments will be terminated and the caches will remain archived, so please be thoughtful and courteous of your fellow cachers and me, your local volunteer reviewer.

Thanks,

Wizard of Ooze

www.wizardofooze.com

As someone who lives in the TEAM's hometown (Victoria, BC, Canada), I thought I'd explain this a bit further.

TEAM KFWB GPS were pioneers in the region. The members of this enigmatic group were never seen in person, and I believe only a select few locals even knew their names. They hid hundreds of caches in an era when that was unheard of (~2002-2003). The caches were hidden in some of the most spectacular locations, some had complex but fun puzzles, and all had absolutely perfect coordinates. The TEAM caches were and still are considered to be some of the greatest caches in the area. If you manage to find a TEAM cache (usually easily-recognized by their trademark all-uppercase name and description), you get a real sense that you've accomplished something special and that you're taking part in history.

The TEAM stopped hiding new caches in about 2005 due to their dislike of how geocaching was changing, but they continued to hold "challenges" through a local forum. These would be complex tasks somewhat akin to OHDA, often with significant prizes. In March 2011, without any warning, the TEAM decided to archive all of their caches for unknown reasons, with the exception of OHDA and OHDA2. This came as a shock to the local caching community, because all these spectacular caches were suddenly gone. The impact of this move was so significant that the primary local reviewer worked with Groundspeak to come up with a plan to unarchive and adopt out the majority of the TEAM's caches, with the exception of some that violated some land manager policies. I was lucky enough to be able to adopt 6 of these caches that I had previously found, and 5 of them are still active today. Since 2011, I've found dozens of former TEAM caches, with many of them being some of my most memorable caching excursions. Here's the log from my most recent (and probably most memorable) TEAM find.

THE A-TEAM, thanks for this background. It is enlightening.

Yes, very cool to hear about this.

Great story, but it leaves me with the feeling that it might have been better off leaving everything Archived. Sounds like another cache owner that got disenchanted and left the game, and as we all know, the game depends on active cache owners who don't pick up their toys and go home. Just something to think about.

THE A-TEAM, thanks for this background. It is enlightening.

Yes, very cool to hear about this.

Great story, but it leaves me with the feeling that it might have been better off leaving everything Archived. Sounds like another cache owner that got disenchanted and left the game, and as we all know, the game depends on active cache owners who don't pick up their toys and go home. Just something to think about.

I adopted 1 of the TEAM caches. I feel they have historical value as they were some of the first in our area. Maybe it doesn't seem like a big deal right now, but how about when these caches have been kept going for 20 years? I think it is a good idea to keep the best ones going. There are some mystery caches which take you on wild adventures and are very clever and unique. And some traditionals in really great spots.

Having said this, I don't think they *all* should have been adopted. Many were just simple traditionals within city limits and were/are taking up prime real estate. In fact, when I first started caching, the TEAM caches were not my favorite caches to find as they would invariably be disgusting, as they were not being maintained. Plus, whenever I went to hide a cache, I had to work around them. They were everywhere.

Back to the virtual in question. It's not the job of the reviewers to maintain the cache page. The cache should be adopted out or archived. Even if it's archived, nothing's stopping you from doing the cache.

It is actually 4 real finds and was 7 bogus finds - two of which have been changed to notes in the past few days - leaving a current total of 5 bogus logs. As you said, not exactly inundated...

-- w00fel

Not exactly inundated, 9 real finds vs. 4 bogus and 1 in error that was corrected to a note on the request of someone who has finished stage 1 & planning stage 2.

I wonder if some few caches might not be truly epic & might be afforded a different class. Maybe if the one many watchers of this cache were to have stepped up to send a note about the requirements for finding when the 1st non finds happened the count of bogus would now be zero.

I was asked earlier why I care, I was in the area before the GC.com & enjoy reading logs of those who travel there. There are a few others I watch for the same reason.

It is actually 4 real finds and was 7 bogus finds - two of which have been changed to notes in the past few days - leaving a current total of 5 bogus logs. As you said, not exactly inundated...

-- w00fel

Huh????

The CO has re-appeared, hopefully they clean up the logs, re-enable it and continue to maintain it.

Yeah!!! The ideal resolution on this for sure!

Look at the cache page...the CO has finally logged in and posted something.

https://coord.info/GCB416

Guess he/she/they got wind of the renewed drama.

:rolleyes:

B.

Nice to see the cache owner stepping back in. Nothing like a flurry of email notifications, I suppose.

Edited by narcissa

The CO has re-appeared, hopefully they clean up the logs, re-enable it and continue to maintain it.

:o :o :o The cache owner has been inactive for years. I'm very surprised to see them post something. They must really be fond of this particular cache. :o :o :o

Good. Whatever it takes to keep a well-liked cache in existence - especially grandfathered types. I never understood why discontinued types are so restricted (eg, no adoption). TPTB seem to want them to go away (another example, traveling caches). These unusual types of caches add variety and spice to the game.