Find Caches Along a Route

HawkXp

I have just tried to upload a gpx track to create a pocket query.

I either get error 500 or the upload succedes by there is no point

within that route.

I have tried different GPX files, even one that I uploaded successfully

some month ago. I have deleted all my stored routes and tried again.

No change.

Is there something going wrong at the server?

Greets.

The Caches Along a Route function is built on some pretty creaky, old code. One of the issues that it has is that GPX files generated from Garmin software (MapSource, BaseCamp) contain a "hidden" character at the start of the file that causes the uploader to fail. You should try saving the file in other software or upload KML instead.

You mean the BOM, Byte Order Marker? There was such thing in the original file,

but not in my modified file. So the 500 error comes from the BOM.

The modified file (map source, reduced number of points, no BOM) still says 2 points,

not the expected number of 93.

I tried removing useless namespace declarations. No success.

I tried removing useless schemalocation. No success.

I tried yet another old GPX -- successful, now.

I tried again my new GPX, changed the header to the successfully loaded one.

Upload still gives a track of 2 points, not 93 points as expected.

And then the idea: it was a round trip. I removed waypoints from the end

of the list, so now having an open loop: the number of uploaded waypoints

increased from 2 to 6. That's fine for me and for that short trip.

So the rules are

- remove the BOM

- don't give a closed loop that is too short

- even on an open track let it be at least more than 5km

Thanks a lot for your help.

The Caches Along a Route function is built on some pretty creaky, old code. One of the issues that it has is that GPX files generated from Garmin software (MapSource, BaseCamp) contain a "hidden" character at the start of the file that causes the uploader to fail. You should try saving the file in other software or upload KML instead.

will it be possible to have the "pretty creaky, old code" removed and something that works instead ?

I am not familiar with BOM, I tried to upload using Chrome, IE, Mozzilla, file in KML format or GPX format, the result is Error 500 each time.

I contacted the geocaching.com support team, telling about the error 500 and giving them track (in gpx format and kml format) that I was trying to upload.

They replied that there was a temporary technical problem (in 2 differents cases with the exact same words) and finally ask me to use another browser.

When I get borred with those nonsences (using the F... word in my message), telling them that I don't want to pay a premium account to read that, they replied that I didn't respect them and they closed my request :-) (I prefer to take this as a joke. Who is repectless in this case ?).

As you are admin, you probably have secret information about the capabilities of geaocahing.com to make "upload" works properly. Will it works one day or not ?

When I get borred with those nonsences (using the F... word in my message), telling them that I don't want to pay a premium account to read that, they replied that I didn't respect them and they closed my request :-) (I prefer to take this as a joke. Who is repectless in this case ?).

I looked at the ticket in question. Do you really want an honest answer?

Your file was created in Garmin software. As I've already explained above, this will not work. Your file uploads fine if properly converted to KML or resaved using another app that reads/writes GPX.

No matter who behaves in what way, let us break it down to the facts:

What is the percentage Garmin covers the market with?

Here in Germany there are many good guys laying out hiking tours. They do it voluntarily. By this they take people to the wonderful countrysite.

And they supply tracking information in form of GPX tracks. And yes, most of them use Garmin software.

There are countless multi caches actually offering similar hiking tours, many of them are based on tours offered by public organisations.

Whoever supplies the GPX track, most of them do it using Garmin software.

What is KML? You are familiar with it, many of the hikers are not. Because you yourself know how to convert, this does not make the whole world knowing the same.

I am a programmer. I dealt with file uploading to a web server. I dealt with handling XML files on a web server. And I know how simple it is, to remove the BOM. So I am wondering why GS does not perform that little step, to make the user interface user friendly.

I am running into the problem that the "Site cannot be reached". I am creating my route via geocaching.com. My route is there, but when I try to create a Pocket Query I get the aforementioned message. I have used this function many times before. I made my route public so if anyone wants to test it out, please do. It is called "Kalispell to Babb".