Missing container

Nayt Nut

Hello,

Today someone visited my cache;"In Between" near Leduc,and reported the ammo can as missing.I intend

to keep that cache there,have another container,and will replace the ammo can as soon as i can.

It's ridiculous that someone should take the container,but,these are the days...

Nayt Nut

Today someone visited my cache;"In Between" near Leduc,and reported the ammo can as missing.I intend

to keep that cache there,have another container,and will replace the ammo can as soon as i can.

It's ridiculous that someone should take the container,but,these are the days...

The ammo can may, or may not, actually be missing. The person who reported it as missing appears to be relatively new to geocaching, so they may have just been unable to locate it.

Not sure why they logged the cache as found while also reporting that it was missing, unless only the contents of the cache (or at least the log book) were still at ground zero.

Being an ammocan, there's a decent chance it was taken. Yes it's sad but it happens.

But as cache test dummies stated, there's a chance it's still in place. There are a number of reasons why a person doesn't find a cache, especially if they're new. The next geocacher to come along may find it without any problem. Be sure to take a new container with you when you do go check. If you're lucky though, you may find that the cache is right where you originally placed it.

I have seen some cache owners now attaching ammo cans to nearby objects with a cable or bike lock. This will prevent the majority of the disappearances. (and also helpfully prevent migration)

Absolutely yes with the cable and lock for any interesting, homemade or valuable container.

Even that's no guarantee.

I remember a local cache (within Edmonton), an ammo can that, after having disappeared, was replaced with another ammo can and a heavy bike cable lock.

After a while, it disappeared too.

I'd save the quality containers for the woods. Hint: Ministik Lake Bird Sanctuary just east of Leduc has tons of space, and no park bureaucracy to slow down reviews.

I think you have made a big but innocent mistake, by mentioning in your description, that the cache is an ammo can. That's almost like having a neon sign fixed to it saying "come and get me".

These days, if I find an ammo can cache, I will avoid mentioning it in my log but say something like "I like the container" or "nice to see this type of container".

I have seen some cache owners now attaching ammo cans to nearby objects with a cable or bike lock. This will prevent the majority of the disappearances. (and also helpfully prevent migration)

Absolutely yes with the cable and lock for any interesting, homemade or valuable container.

There's a saying that locks only keep honest people honest. I had one of those large ammo cans. More like a small chest. Put it somewhere that nobody other than a geocacher had any real bussiness to be, even had it cabled to a tree. Got a text from a cacher friend, turns out someone cut the cable.

If your are gonna put out an ammo can or other nice geocache container, post it as a member only cache and put it out where the chances of someone accidentally bumping into it are slim to none ... this should reduce some of the thefts.

I believe these days that placement means more for security of the container than that pmo.

For most people, the audit isn't even working anymore...

Just today in these forums, there's three asking questions, who've apparently joined as pms with this new app (one only four days ago).

We're seeing that near me as well, brand-new pms with an app. :)