'Where's Renfrew? We challenge fellow cachers to help us search for Refrew's grave.

OregonMike

'Where's Renfrew?' cache is near where we believe Renfrew's grave to be. We have spent time looking for his gravesite both up and down the hill, but have not been able to locate it. We challenge fellow cachers to help us search for it.

Alexander Renfrew was born in Ohio in 1816 and came to Oregon in 1852. He and his wife had a claim near Brownsville, then abandoned their claim in 1855 and moved to Eugene where they constructed the St. Charles Hotel on the corner of Broadway and Willamette. In 1871, he and others formed the McKenzie Salt Springs and Des Chutes Wagon Road Company, which helped lead to development of a toll road across McKenzie Pass. Renfrew was committed to the East Portland Asylum in 1872 and later released. He died while prospecting for gold and was buried on Gold Hill on August 5, 1876. A stone marker at the site says: 'August 5, 1876, Pased 60.'

Where's Renfrew?

by dasein, knighttemplar, Shmoe

N 44° 13.238 W 122° 20.989 (WGS84)

The coordinates listed are for a great spot to look for quartz crystals. Simply stop at the coordinates, and look in the dirt on either side of the road (or even IN the road!). We have found several nice crystals there. There is a mining claim at the top of the hill above the road. You can go up there to look around, but please don't look for crystals there

Where's Renfrew

Also ref Gamer's Challenge

If you do find the Grave, please be respectful.

---KnightTemplar

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

My National Geographic TOPO! maps shows the grave to be at :

N 44:12.415 W 122:21.636 @ 4466 feet elevation.

Logscaler,

Those west coordinates are a bit different than the ones we had dug up. Knighttemplar goes out to that area quite frequently. I can assure you that next time he is out there, he will check around those coords. Thanks for your input!

--laurak

" "

-Helen Keller

using my garmin topo map in my gps I have searched for the grave at 44 12.405, 122 21.768 but ended up finding Renfrew spring nearby at 44 12.396, 122 21.711. But my Garmin topo showed Renfrew spring being at 44 12.390, 122 21.866. I searched around those cordinates as well and didn't find nothing. I'm pretty sure where these topo maps show where a place is isn't accurate. All it is telling us is that it is in the general area. I'm sure the map makers didn't have the exact cordinates for the spring or grave when making the maps.

We were up there last weekend looking around for it. There looks as if there has been quite a bit of moving around of the dirt in the past. Is it possible that it could have been overlooked and covered up? When we searched, we started at the spring and worked in circles outward. It could be somewhere in that thick brush that we could barely walk through. You could pass right by it and not even see it if you tripped over it. That stuff just grabs on and holds.