Instant Notify not working

mkkm

I did not receive notifications for GC6QG1R, GC6QN6K, and GC6QN6M.

I did receive notifications for GC6R75J and GC6R74J.

Since I live near fizzymagic, I checked those caches (in case I didn't get notifications, of course!), and it turns out I did get notified for all of them except the one that's outside my range. On the other hand, before fizzymagic posted his note, I, too, was just thinking that the problem wasn't really completely resolved, but I'm not organized enough to prove it with examples.

Can you please provide more details about the notifications that you believe have gone missing? What kind of notification were you expecting and what are the relevant geocaches? Did another geocacher receive a notification and you did not? Any additional information that might help to pinpoint the issue would be appreciated.

The main difference between the two sets is that the notifications I did not receive were caches closer to the center coordinates for the notification than the others.

Hi fizzymagic,

I had a look at your notifications and I believe that you received the correct notifications based on the center coordinates and radius of your mystery cache type notification. The 3 caches that you did not receive notifications for are approximately 3 miles outside of your notification range. The 2 caches that you received notifications for are 8 and 11 miles inside of your notification range. This seems like the opposite of what you were expecting so I would suggest checking the center coordinates of your notification to make sure it is located where you think it is.

I hadn't noticed any nearby notifications missing, but that's probably because there are not very many caches published near where I live.

I checked for new caches around where my parents live and I found at least one cache that I know I missed the notification for. I received a notification for GC6QV8X, but I didn't receive a notification for GC6QX1R. Both of them were published on Sunday, probably around the same time.

Can you please provide more details about the notifications that you believe have gone missing? What kind of notification were you expecting and what are the relevant geocaches? Did another geocacher receive a notification and you did not? Any additional information that might help to pinpoint the issue would be appreciated.

Also, please make sure to check your spam folders to make sure that changes with your ISP or mail provider did not cause your notifications to end up in the wrong location.

As I said, I didn't receive the publication notification for GC6QNHZ, which I should have as it's within 40km from my home coordinates. I can't find any trave in my mails / junk. Others have found it so I guess I was just not lucky.

The main difference between the two sets is that the notifications I did not receive were caches closer to the center coordinates for the notification than the others.

Hi fizzymagic,

I had a look at your notifications and I believe that you received the correct notifications based on the center coordinates and radius of your mystery cache type notification. The 3 caches that you did not receive notifications for are approximately 3 miles outside of your notification range. The 2 caches that you received notifications for are 8 and 11 miles inside of your notification range. This seems like the opposite of what you were expecting so I would suggest checking the center coordinates of your notification to make sure it is located where you think it is.

I re-checked the center coordinates just now. You are correct; the longitude was off by a whole degree. I cannot imagine how it happened, but that explains it!

Also, please make sure to check your spam folders to make sure that changes with your ISP or mail provider did not cause your notifications to end up in the wrong location.

As I said, I didn't receive the publication notification for GC6QNHZ, which I should have as it's within 40km from my home coordinates. I can't find any trave in my mails / junk. Others have found it so I guess I was just not lucky.

Hi Gillala,

It looks like you were included in the batch of notifications for GC6QNHZ and our reports show that the email was sent to your primary email address. I'm sorry if the email did not make it into your inbox. If you continue to have issues I would suggest contacting your ISP and email provider to make sure that emails from Geocaching HQ are being allowed through.

Hi Gillala,

It looks like you were included in the batch of notifications for GC6QNHZ and our reports show that the email was sent to your primary email address. I'm sorry if the email did not make it into your inbox. If you continue to have issues I would suggest contacting your ISP and email provider to make sure that emails from Geocaching HQ are being allowed through.

Hi HiddenGnome, thanks for your much appreciated support.

Looks like my notifications aren't working either. GC5B4H3 was published on 8/25 and I never received a notification. It's under 3km from my notification coordinates with a 50km radius.

8/25/2014 ... more than 2 years ago!

My bad, I had copied the wrong GC code I was looking at. As I dug into it further the cache I was actually expecting is 49.9 km away according to GSAK and my radius is 50km so I suppose some rounding could have excluded it.

Today I received an instant notification for an EarthCache (GC6R7JX) located 142 km away from my home :blink: and still more curious, a geocacher of Martinique (French Antilles), bzh972, received this morning the instant notification of one of my 9 caches (GC6MKXG) published in the Loire Valley ... 6 700 km from his home :D !

Edited by Chickilim

Today I received an instant notification for an EarthCache (GC6R7JX) located 142 km away from my home :blink: and still more curious, a geocacher of Martinique (French Antilles), bzh972, received this morning the instant notification of one of my 9 caches (GC6MKXG) published in the Loire Valley ... 6 700 km from his home :D !

You have a notification set up for EarthCaches in Paris, while bzh972 has a notification set up for puzzle caches in Paris.

Your home location has nothing to do with your notifications, as notifications are designed to use the center of circles specified separately/individually in each notification? I think you should check your notification settings first to make sure the center of the circle matches your home location (if that's what you want). I'm not sure, but it could be that some notifications have been accidentally updated by Groundspeak, as you don't seem to be the only one.

You have a notification set up for EarthCaches in Paris, while bzh972 has a notification set up for puzzle caches in Paris.

Hello, it seems that, according to the parameters of my Paris notification, I shouldn't have received any news about the geocache GC6MKXG.

I may have misunderstood the format of the coordinates to enter for the notification but here's a picture showing the desired point.

Hope it can help to highlight the truth ;)

compil.png

Hello, it seems that, according to the parameters of my Paris notification, I shouldn't have received any news about the geocache GC6MKXG.

I show no notification emails sent to the email address registered on your account in the past 7 days. You have been sent two watchlist emails since that cache was published, however, and GC6MKXG is on your watchlist.